TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@KC5402 … I would be shocked if you didn’t get accepted into Engineering. Excellent SAT score!

When did you apply: 8/8, official transcript received & all green checks 9/3
Class Rank: non-ranking school, 2nd quarter
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1370 (740 reading) (630math)
ACT (with Sub Scores) NA
When did you receive your admission decision: Pending
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic
Major/College of Choice: Business or Agricultural Business
Definitely sitting in Academic Review due to class rank. Curious what the profiles of those on Academic Review look like? What are profiles of typical Blynn Team admits?

@KelliJo What do you mean you are sitting in academic review? According to the stats you listed you wouldn’t be an academic admit. Did you mean you are a review admit?

Yes, actually I meant to say Holistic Review.

Your test score is great. 2nd quarter hurts. It will be interesting to see this cycle how it falls. Last year I think you may have had a chance at Blinn team but so many had great scores and 1q ranking and got PsA. Time will tell.

Chance for Blinn Team depends on how many dual credit and AP credits you already have. Too much dual credit means you don’t have enough lower level classes left to take at Blinn.

Waiting is so hard… status is showing “in review”. How does TAMU typically inform of decision? Via email, does app status change on webpage, or is it through mail?

I totally agree. The waiting game is no fun at all. Base on last year, Howdy account shout be the place to check first, if you see 6 tabs on top of your account, meaning the accepting letter is coming. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure I am posting correctly… but wondering thoughts on what my son’s chances are of being accepted into TX A&M? He is out of state…4.0. ACT 27… taking again in a couple wks. Varsity golf 4 years, VP of SADD, involved in church youth group, has done tutoring, and some volunteer time in there as well. Has his own mowing company… just know TX A&M is difficult to get be accepted in to… especially when an out of state student…thoughts? He plans to major in Agribusiness…

KC5402 - found this under FAQ’s on the Howdy page:

Accept Admission
Published 11/15/2007 11:20 AM | Updated 07/01/2019 02:05 PM
How do I accept and confirm my offer to attend Texas A&M University?

For undergraduate students, once a decision has been made, your Applicant Information System (AIS) page will update with your decision followed by a letter in the mail.
You may accept your decision by registering for your New Student Conference (NSC) through your AIS page.
Log onto your AIS page
Click on “My Next Steps”
Click on “Register for NSC”
Make sure you choose a date that your major will be in attendance

When did you apply: 8/22
Class Rank: 17%
GPA: 4.0 unweighted
SAT (with Sub Scores) - not great Im afraid :frowning: Not a great test taker
ACT - taking next week, hoping ACT works better for him.

When did you receive your admission decision: waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: ?
Major/College of Choice: Mech Eng
taking AP Eng, AP History, AP Physics. Pre AP Pre Cal, AP Chem…pretty much any class that can be AP, he’s taken or will be taken. STEM, Engineering and Dev classes all 4 years. Student counsel, works part time
Ex Curr: Varsity marching band 3 yrs, lots of community service. STEM and Fine Arts endorsements. NHS, will be considered a First Gen college student.

***Two recommendation letters
He’s wanted to be an Aggie for as long as he can remember. Im scared his low SAT will hold him back - what are yalls thoughts?

@kbbeale Are your son’'s test scores out of line with his AP class grades? Could he do/has he done a prep course or studied on his own for SAT or ACT? Sometimes students can really improve their scores with some concerted preparation. It’s not too late at this point to study and retake in time to get scores in by TAMU’s deadline. TAMU also administers a quick turnaround ACT. Is he able to identify what might be holding him back? It is good that he is taking so many tough classes and has good class rank. I believe it was @AggieMomhelp who once expressed that GPA is a much better predictor of college success than a standardized test score. This makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it?

@Sallye , are you going to be happy to be full pay as OOS at TAMU?

When did you apply : Pending
Class rank : 12.25%
GPA-U W- 3.65
SAT(With sub score) :1st time- 1450 (Math-720)/ 2nd time -1410(Math-730)
SAT subject test: Math- 800 ; Chemistry- 670
AP class taken- 16 (including Calculus BC, Statistics, Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C, Chemistry, Computer Science A)
National Merit commended
job shadow and Internship in Engineering company
Member of National Honor society, math honor society, Science honor society, English honor society
President and lead Cellist in Varsity orchestra
State, regional and local level achievement in orchestra
4 yrs in orchestra
250 hrs of volunteer hr
Major / College of choice-Engineering
I am wondering what are my chances of getting into Engineering ?
Should I submit my 1410 SAT score( M-730) ?
Thelma2, and Aggiemom, appreciate your feedback .

@Sallye hopefully someone with OOS experience in Agribusiness can chime in!
Are you fine with paying full out of state costs? Looks like you’ll be paying close to $50,000 per year.

@Sallye I am an OOS Aggie engineering mom class of 2023. When the final numbers for incoming freshman 2019 came out, it was 12,771 students, of which 508 were OOS. There is no sugar coating it, it’s expensive for OOS. For us, however, the difference between his number 2 choice, which was an in-state public university, and TAMU was ~10K/yr. If you have any questions about the process for us, I will be more than happy to help where I can. It’s been an amazing journey so far.

Can I get clarification of the “tabs” that we are looking for? Please list what they are titled.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg yes it sure does make a lot of sense and I know my son is more than capable…but those stupid standardized tests! Ive heard that the ACT is a better test for engineers…I hope so. Im going to see where he lands with this one and figure out what we need to do from here. Another question - in terms of his major. He chose two engineering majors - should his 2nd pick be non-engineering to have a better chance of getting in? Thanks for the advice!

@kbbeale. Read post #17 from @Thelma2 about the engineering majors . Should help you with the question.

Can someone please respond to my post #113 ?