TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@Senioritis2001 I don’t know the correct answer but if you are worried about choosing one, just submit them both. That way A&M will see both math scores. If you only want to submit one then I would probably do the 1450. It sounds more impressive than the 1410 and the 10 points difference in math score isn’t that much at the end of the day.

@Senioritis2001 yes, submit both. It ca.n only help you. You’re not going to have an issue getting into cstat engineering with your stats.

@Senioritis2001 -
TAMU wants to see all test scores (either SAT or ACT), and will select the best score from a single date.

When doing Score Choice from College Board, it would not let us select a specific score(s) to send TAMU for my daughter, although we were able to do this for other schools. TAMU was programmed on the College Board site to require all scores to be submitted.

@bargainshopper75 that is strange, my son was able to choose his highest SAT score and only sent his one highest test score.

@Senioritis2001 Unless it’s changed, A&M required all scores sent. You couldn’t chose which ones to send.

Thanks everyone for the input.

ErRnMom - thank you for your response! I’m so glad it has worked out for your child! Our visit to TAMU was amazing! But yes, paying OOS tution is something we will have to decide IF he is accepted. He hopes to/plans to join the Corp program and ROTC as he desires to be career military. Without being too big of a Debbie Downer, while I’m not too optimistic he will be accepted, even if he is, it depends on scholarship offers. He was told of a Corps scholarship opportunity that might waive the OOS tuition. So going to TAMU is not just dependent on the acceptance, but also what scholarship opportunities he might have. He is working on a plan B in-state college, but again just anxious and curious what some might think the chances of admittance are. He loved TAMU and felt “at home” when visiting the Corps of Cadets program! Guess we will see… but thinking won’t hear until spring…

@senioritis2001 I’m a mom of 2 Aggie engineers 2020&2022. Your stats are EXCELLENT! I see no reason why you wouldn’t get in. You said your app is pending? Have you not submitted yet? if not, what are you waiting for? Submit ASAP! You have all needed requirements. Admissions to the University should start coming out the week of Sept 16 and then engineering admission as early as December. My kids submitted in Aug & July. As for your question on other SAT. I say why not. I know overall score is lower but math is higher and even the lower score is excellent so don’t think it will hurt. Engineering really only cares about math.

Eager mom here :smiley:
When did you apply: mid-July
Class Rank: top 15% #99
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1360
ACT (with Sub Scores): 32 and 31 (taken 2 times to try and up her math score)
When did you receive your admission decision: pending
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review - she was 1 point off her automatic admission on the math side…near perfect for language side, second time taking ACT went up to this from a 2 point margin, so that’s good, correct? Also, SAT math side was a 640 or 650, I believe. So again, she has the cumulative scores, but just barely off with the math score.
Major/College of Choice: Pre-Vet
National Honors society member, FFA member, FFA Ambassador, Varsity Swim team for 4 years, several hours volunteering per year with school, animal rescue, and neighborhood swim team for summer league, tutoring elementary kids, Latin club board member, Student Council, on track to her Vet Tech Certification (currently in second year of program where she has an internship), raving letters of recommendation, AP testing with 5s in several classes.
Anyone know what her chances are? When will the acceptance letters go out? Thank you so much!

AggieMom20and22, thanks for your response. I have applied on August 3rd with SAT 1450. My application is complete and in review. I was just wondering if I should turn in my 1410 SAT score with 730 Math score, which I took on August . I am really scared about my Math sub score of SAT.

@TexasAggie99
@Senioritis2001
Ah, good to know that you are now able to select specific SAT scores to submit. We submitted the scores to 7 colleges back in May, and TAMU as the only one at the time that the College Board site wouldn’t let us choose top 1-2 scores. It sounds like the logic was since updated ??
@Senioritis2001 -
It would not make a difference if you submit the 1410 SAT score too (TAMU just selects the highest test score from a single date, they do not superscore). But if it would make you feel more confident sending it anyway due to the higher math, then it couldn’t hurt to send.

Does anyone know when was the engineering admission starts come out last year.

@KC5402
Oct 3 was the first date of engineering acceptances.
Know that the early decision date of Oct 15 is arbitrary. There are some academic and auto admits who will have applied by the early decision date and will still be deferred to January.
Review applicants to the university do not hear of decisions, no matter when they apply, until after January.

@Thelma2 Thanks for the reply. I’m just concern if the engineering admission comes out too late , then it’s going to affect the 2nd major pick acceptances.

@txmash, are you sure that your student doesn’t qualify as an Academic Admit? You noted that her SAT math score was either a 640 or 650 (let’s go with the 640), and her cumulative score is a 1360. That would mean that her EBRW is 720. Take a look at TAMU’s assured admission standards for Academic Admits. Unless I’m misreading/misunderstanding your post… your student meets these standards.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted
You qualify for academic admission, if you:

*rank in the top quarter of your graduating class on or before the application deadline, and
*meet test score minimums

::SAT: Total score of 1360 with at least 620 Math and 660 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW)
::ACT: Composite score of 30 with at least 27 English and 27 Math
::satisfy the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy, and
::make sure all required documents are received by the application deadline.

@ErRnMom or anyone else…you referred to the stats for the incoming 2019 freshmen. Can you point me to that? Forgive me if I should have been able to find. I have searched to no avail. I am stunned by the 508 OOS of 12,771. Curious about any info on the group. We are OOS and it is very challenging to assess chances given that. Thank you.

When did you apply: 7/20/2019; SRAR linked on 7/25; rank assigned 8/22
Class Rank: school is non-ranking; TAMU finally assigned a ranking of 1st Quarter on 8/22
SAT (with Sub Scores)
ACT (with Sub Scores) 34
When did you receive your admission decision: pending
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays Business 1st; Liberal Arts Econ 2nd

@Senioritis2001 I really don’t think you have anything to worry about. My daughter’s school rank was 8% and her SAT was 1310 with math of 680. Your score is well above that…720/730…they are both excellent!

Well, darn, I messed up my numbers (I should have double checked with DD before posting). She has a 560 in the math for SAT, near 800 in the EBRW - I am still correct about her ACT scores with a composite 32 - math 25 and English 40. My apologies.

AggieMom20and22, thanks for the input. I forgot to mention my essay score of 1450 SAT , which is (8, 7, 8) and my 1410 SAT is (6 ,5, 6 ). Still undecided about submitting 1410 SAT score, which is only 10 point increase in math, otherwise unimpressive compared to 1450. Appreciate more thought in this subject. Sorry to everyone if I sound repetitive.