TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@junebugxmom Is she top quarter? As for tabs, in howdy, tabs will go from 3 to 6.
The 6 tabs are: Home/Applicant/MyRecord/Myfinances/STudentLife/Research/MyHowdy

Once you see this, you’ll know an acceptance is coming!

@AggieMomhelp . Yes she is.

Thank you! This is so nerve wrecking! It is hard to see 10% admitted who do not score higher than her academically :frowning:

I just talked to someone in admissions and they said that the extra tabs don’t mean anything and that it is still in review and could be awhile:(

Yeah. That’s what random people in admissions always say.

But, if you have been on the forum for a couple years - you will see that the Howdy tabs change, and like clockwork, within 72 hours AIS changes and you are admitted. Tabs change for Blinn TEAM and other admit offers.

Also - come March - if the change major button disappears - within 48 business day hours - the PSA offer comes down. Tabs do not change for PSA.

LOL admissions is so cute… they won’t ever admit that the tabs are the holy grail of acceptance. We have NEVER EVER EVER seen someone get 6 tabs only to realize they were given PSA or denied flat out. And Blinn Team or Academy or even Galveston (as engineering campus) will get tabs along with full admits… no one else. Under manage applications, you can check major to see if it changed. = )

OK, so, if an applicant is holistic review…should they change their major to a more “open” College at TAMU? How would you find out a more “open” College…or, one they might get accepted into? If I’m reading the responses correctly, looks like a “suggestion”?

And, PSA = NOT registered at both Blinn & TAMU, BUT you have Guideance Councelor on both campuses? Or, is that PTA?

I never knew about the 6 tabs until I read here. When I checked, his already had 6 tabs. I called and was given the same answer - no meaning :slight_smile: Sometime later he got accepted in AIS. IMO, those that answer the phones are students on work study. They may know what it means but are not allowed to say anything that’s not already decided officially.

That is a tough call. For my daughter she had one major she wanted (and a backup in the same college) so this was not something we considered.

TAMU claims major does not matter in terms of admission, with the exception of engineering.

However, the PSA waves at the end have been grouped by major. So they are looking at the major in some way.

I personally think (just my theory) that they do consider major when it comes to alternative admission decisions. Blinn Team would not have worked for my daughter’s 1st and 2nd choice of majors. Both have sequenced studio classes that begin freshman year and can’t be taken unless you are admitted to that major. Durning a personal tour of visualization - we were told Blinn TEAM was not an option.

I don’t think TAMU offers Blinn Team to students with both major choices that are incompatible with Blinn Team. In the past two years - I have not seen Blinn TEAM offered for Viz students.

I really don’t think that changing majors would help in most cases.

An example from last year. There was another student on this forum. She had similar, slightly better, stats than my daughter. But close enough that I thought they were a t r o l l when they posted they got admitted - but visualization was full - in early November. That did not fit the pattern of holistic review admits. BUT, their second choice major was engineering. The major with the most places and by far the largest percent admitted. So they were admitted and moved into engineering review. But many of the engineering placements are in Galveston or other academies. So getting accepted to TAMU engineering review as a review applicant - does not mean college station.

Here is the apply/admit for the past two years. You can see what has the greatest percent admitted.

Here is it by college 2019/2018
Ag 44% 53%
Arch 37% 46%
Business Admin 38% 48%
Education 41% 48%
Engineering 74% 85%
Geo 60% 67%
Gen Studies 100% (But that is the Gateway etc kids)
Liberal Arts 47% 56%
Science 53% 62%
Vet 68% 72%
Public Health 52% 57%

PSA = going to a satellite school and working with a program and advisor to make sure you fulfill the PSA requirements for direct transfer into cstat campus in intended major.

Let me just say though, that ALL parents and students need to have a firm grasp on their degree plan and what needs to be taken when (even if admitted straight into cstat). Advisors make mistakes all the time. We see it happen. I’ve had to work with both of my kiddos to make sure they understood how the degree plan works and that you have to have back up plans if the order gets out to sync, etc. Prereqs wreak havoc in some degrees.

Hi can someone chance me please?

Hello:

My has been accepted to A&M based on class rank, and now he is in Engineering Review. He attends a private HS and will graduate with ~35 kids. He is number 1 right now with a 4.4 GPA. He has lots of extra curricular activity and leadership positions as well, both on campus and off. Our biggest concern is his SAT. He has an 1150 (590 Math). He has trouble with test anxiety and gets very anxious when there is a timer on the test. He’s always the last to finish his tests in class as well. He put down ME and CE as his major choices, and as of yet we have not heard anything. He has a few friends that have been accepted and he is starting to get nervous.

He is willing to go through the Blinn Team Engineering Route as well.

Here are the cliffs:

School: private ~35 Seniors
SAT: 1150 (590 math)
GPA: 4.4
Highest math: AP Calculus
Major: Mechanical Engineering ( 1st choice), Computer Engineering (2nd)

Question 2:

1. If he does not get in to the School of Engineering, should he enroll at A&M under another major and try to internal transfer in?
  2. Go to Blinn and major in Engineering and try to transfer in?
  3. Or, go to our local University for a year as an Engineering Major and try to transfer in?

I appreciate any answers. Thank you all for your time.

@forever2020 You may want to post your stats for someone to comment :slight_smile:
Looked like that was your first post so assuming you didn’t already post them earlier.

When did you apply:
Class Rank:
SAT (with Sub Scores)
ACT (with Sub Scores)
When did you receive your admission decision:
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit:
Major/College of Choice:

@sumconk @BlueBayouAZ is absolutely correct. I saw this with my older son back in 2018 and now with my younger son. His tabs changed from 3 to 6 tabs on Tuesday as soon as they received his SAT scores and then this Thursday evening it changed to “You are admitted” with the Major as Engineering Review. So there is a definite correlation there.

My question is how long/when an Engineering Review applicant typically get his decision. Thanks.

The only difference is it only counts for A&M and there are no more offered to take in time for December deadline.

It was about three weeks for my son. Accepted to school about two weeks after submission and coe about three weeks later. Waiting was hard. Good luck!

@tlang1970 congrats on valedictorian. That’s amazing. I’ve seen kids in the top 2% a couple of years ago with low test
Scores and they got blinn academy. It worked out great! That’s such a great route and they are a full Aggie. Access to everything. The year flies by and they are full time at tamu in no time IN the desired end program they want.

So that would be worst case scenario for your son. Can’t imagine he wouldn’t get Academy or Galveston. I personally would select blinn over Galveston but again that’s a personal choice.

I would not select a school to transfer from nor would I pick another major in hopes of changing later. It’s very competitive and Aggies, team, Galveston and other academies have a nod for this vs another school. Hard facts.

Hope this helps.

@icedmachiato Thank you … I think you are spot on. For references, my son stats are as follows:

When did you apply: submitted 11/22
Class Rank: 57/813 (top 7%)
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1530 / 800 Math 730 Writing (his scores arrived late on 12/3)
ACT (with Sub Scores): 33

When did you receive your admission decision: admitted 12/5, currently in Engineering Review
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Computer Science

When did you apply: 11/15/19 app wasn’t complete till 11/26/19
Class Rank: 1st quarter
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1270(670 math)
ACT (with Sub Scores)
When did you receive your admission decision:Still waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: review
Major/College of Choice: biomedical engineering (1st), biochemistry (2nd)

@icedmachiato I think I’ve posted this before, but I’ll summarize what I know about scholarships again. Last year, my daughter was valedictorian out of over 650, applied as number one, 33 ACT, etc. She was offered a President’s Endowed ($12,000 total, $3000 each year) plus a $1000 one time opportunity award. I think being ranked first is what prompted her getting a merit award. A few of her friends also ranked top 25 students in that class with slightly lower & up to perfect test scores were offered pretty much the same award money. We are in state. If you are OOS, I do not know the process. My daughter as well as at least two other good friends offered $12,000 all opted for UT instead with little or no $$.??‍♀️
Since my daughter stayed first in the end, she got this year free (worth $10,600ish) but would have gotten that at A&M plus the $13,000.

My second daughter has been accepted to A&M engineering, is just inside top 6% with 1360 SAT. I do not expect merit $$ for her at A&M. She’s not a fan of the huge engineering school & is most likely heading to U of Louisville instead. ??‍♀️

The President’s Endowed has not increased since I received one at A&M, c/o 1998. I think a lot of them are given out. When people say not much merit is given, I think they mean basically that the amount is not that big. I think the listed stats are minimums, not guarantees though. If a financial need is present, there’s a scholarship that does more like $5000 a year also. Hope all that helps!