TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Thank you @AggieMomAgain … we went through this 2 years ago with my oldest son so it was a relief to get the news this early. Funny is I told my 3 older brothers - all Aggies - and they are more excited than me - started telling me about all the traditions, where he can stay, eats, etc… So we will have a lot to talk about this Christmas gathering…

@KeetsMom Where do you live geographically ? Trying to see if there is any correlation between the different academies that TAMU offered to review admits. We lived in Houston so our oldest son was offered TAMU Galveston 2 yrs ago.

@MikeSugarland congrats! I told you it was coming. :slight_smile:

My son just got confirmation that he got admitted to General Engineering at college station. I am new to this forum but silently watching it.

SAT score 1560 (Math 800)
Applied Nov 30 2019

@icedmachiato You were absolutely correct !! Exactly 2 weeks after being accepted and in engineering review … Thank you …

I don’t think this is actually true about UT. I think they have a cap at 6% because they are limited as to how large their freshman class can be and they aim for about 75% of those incoming freshmen to be auto-admit. If they were trying to focus more on holistic review, they would lower the cap even lower.

My son was basically told that if he wasn’t auto-admit, there was no reason to even apply. My daughter is auto admit, so she is into both UT and TAMU engineering.

I totally understand your frustration with this school. We are living through this too and it’s so disheartening to see students applying in the last week of admissions, after having 5 months to do it, being accepted, and so many of us are still waiting and being pushed out further and further. There really should be a cap on the time allowed for auto admits to apply, so that others can get a decision before Christmas!

Congrats @mikeinsugarland, and @imanurag, and @ash980123, and @L1Ag91 !

@queenpencil & @yankeetexan if you look at any of the prior year admission cycles, you’ll see that most of the decisions come out in January - March.

Unlike Texas State and SHSU, TAMU receives more than 50k apps. Even still, they manage to get all the decisions out by the posted admission decision date, so don’t despair if you don’t hear during an earlier admissions release. Keep your eyes on the posted date(s), and anything earlier is just dessert.

Congrats to those that heard about Engineering. I really thought we’d get a wave, even if small, for holistic review (non Engineering majors). It could still happen tomorrow! But if not tomorrow, then just go enjoy the holidays. This is temporary uncertainty. It’s not comfortable, but just keep the mantra of ‘it’s temporary’.

Admissions works extremely hard. Every application is reviewed more than once and of course more for engineering. They get 50,000 plus apps. They do their best and want each student they accept or give alternative pathways to, to succeed. That is their goal. They want freshman retention to remain high and 4 year graduation rate to increase as well. So they have a purpose to setting the pace and slowing things down to be sure the right offer is made to each student. Nothing is guaranteed, especially not a quick turnaround. Take a beat and pivot your energy. It’ll help you in the long run!

Keep the faith peeps.

I end up posting this every so often in response to comments like this (which I don’t doubt happen), but they strike me as misguided. The fact is that the 25th percentile/75th percentile cutoffs for enrolled Texas Students Not Automatically Admitted are 1210/1420. So if you slice that in half, then half of all enrolled non-auto-admits from Texas are getting in with SAT scores of 1315 or below. Sure, some are recruited athletes and other unique circumstances, but the bottom line is that a whole bunch of Texas kids (approximately 1300 enrolled by my back of the envelope math, plus whatever other hundreds are accepted but go elsewhere) outside of the auto admit category are accepted. (FWIW, the admission rate for non-auto Texans is 19.5%.) So it’s simply dumb for people to go around spreading inanities like your son was told. It’s just not accurate.

quote=“franknd;c-22503657” So it’s simply dumb for people to go around spreading inanities like your son was told. It’s just not accurate.

[/quote]

I understand what you’re saying… and I guess I should have clarified that his SATs were nothing special. So unless he was recruited for a specific reason, he just wasn’t going to get in. I’d be interested in seeing what the SAT/ACT average is on the 20% who are NOT auto admit.

When I applied to UT, it was EITHER top 10% or 1200 SAT. Since I had both, I was auto-admit… though I ended up going somewhere else. Things have changed. I blame the 2005 National Championship!

Neither of us knows how it actually works. Fwiw, I spoke with a ut ad com officer and he told me holistic means “whole-istic”. It is not uncommon that they denied a student with perfect/near perfect numbers. This “whole-istic” is also confirmed by tamu ad com. X% only gets you through the main gate.
I’m surprised why someone would say such thing to your son.

Hi! So I applied for Engineering at TAMU (met the Regular Decision deadline). I saw that even the Early Action decisions have been pushed back, which is obviously not a good sign. For context, I am Top 10% admit (7th out of 84) at an early college high school. I am also graduating early (did high school in three years) and with an associate’s degree in Science. My only weak area was my SAT, I scored a 1210 (640 R, 580 Math). I really hope that there’s a place for me at College Station because I busted my butt for all these years to get where I am. I guess what I am asking is what are my chances (which I know is a stupid thing to ask given that y’all aren’t the admissions board, but like I just want answers). Let me know if y’all get in, as well as your stats. Thank you for y’alls patience!

@mikeinsugarland we are also in Houston. Last year they offered some of the review applicants a choice of Blinn Bryan, Galveston or McAllen. They could choose, but once an option filled, it was full and that was that. Of course Bryan filled first. From my understanding it was the first year they had given a choice of engineering programs. Curious to see what they do this year.

@Boogie818 I am an Auto admit kid, waiting for my Engineering decision! What are my chances?
Date of application - met Regular decision (not quite sure the exact date)
Date of initial acceptance notification - December 3rd
SAT/ACT score - 1210 (580M/640E)
Academic or Auto - Auto (top 10%- 7th out of 84; GPA 4.20, graduating with an associate’s in Science at Lone Star)
First choice is engineering - Yes

@TexasMTDad my son is a junior in high school, decent class rank (around 15%), his SAT needs some work but he’s working hard to get to the mid 1300’s. We live in the DFW area, fairly competitive district. At a college fair we went to at the end of sophomore year we stopped at the UT Austin Booth…one of the admission reps there basically told us (in a very dismissive and implied manner) that if you weren’t top 6% with superstar stats UT Austin probably isn’t the school for you. My son just motioned to me to leave lol. On contrast, the TAMU admission reps were so warm and inviting, they took the time to explain all the different pathways to admissions and College Station…his exact words were “If you want to become an Aggie, we will find a way to make it happen”

My son still apply to UT, but he’s not pinning any hopes on it, there won’t be any tears if he doesn’t get an acceptance…if he’s offered CAP, a conversation will take place but our first choice and best case scenario is full freshman admit at TAMU or Blinn Team!

@thesaraimartinez
I honestly can’t tell right now. I know that your SAT scores are a part of the holistic picture, but you certainly have impressive stats and sound like someone that is used to hard work.
I wish you all the best!!!

@Momof3B I’m a Longhorn and it is very disappointing to hear that. It is unfortunate because as a recruiter they supposed to inspire and motivate kids to do better - to get students’ interests in the possibility of becoming a Longhorn. That admission rep is not representative of the incredibly friendly and helpful folks we talked to during our UT tour this March. I will even say that he/she represented a very small minority of the UT staffs I have interacted with so far.

I will second your thoughts on TAMU though. Every interactions I have with TAMU - through emails, on the phone, at NSC, or during our tours at CS and Galveston, the folks were super helpful, patient, and very supportive of each students. That was true with my older son and now with my youngest.

My son is in the 2nd Quarter of his class, but has a 35 on his ACT, and was accepted into UT Engineering (and TAMU). He isn’t interested in UT because TAMU was his top choice, but I am just answering your question.