TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@Lcrob1 honestly, I think the chances are slim. His math score is pretty good though. Really look into the blinn Brenham academy. You apply directly. From my understanding, he can get sports pass, go to fish camp etc. and the academy groups lives in the dorm together on Brenham campus. Tamu is only 45 -60 minutes away so able to come up on weekends and stuff for game day experiences as a student or whatever. Someone on this forums son did this and they loved it.

Hereā€™s the blurb from website.

The Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn-Brenham gives talented students an opportunity to pursue their engineering degree while co-enrolled at Texas A&M University and the Blinn College District. Engineering Academy students take their first year math, science, and engineering courses on the Brenham Campus together while living as a community in Mill Creek Hall.

@AggieMomhelp it sounds good! Iā€™m going to look it up now. Iā€™m not sure he will want to do it, but it is a great option. This is our 1st of 5 children, so itā€™s been a learning experience!

Oh itā€™s such a process. Take it all in and then with child number 2 itā€™ll change again lol. One thing Iā€™ve learned with my twoā€¦ is to understand the degree plan from beginning to end with your student. Itā€™s a lot harder than when we were in school and advisors are good, but the student and parent need to be an advocate for themselves AND knowledgeable of what courses are needed, prerequisites etc. for instance, my sons advisor left off a keg prerequisite course for Econ. As in itā€™s the one everyone needs for most upper level courses. Just flat left it off the the plan. I saw it and had to get my student email them to ask. Obviously it would have been caught at some point but this is just an example of many mistakes they can make. We look at one plan (or ( for your fam). They look at thousands over the course of a few years.

@AggieMomhelp Totally agreeā€¦although we are preparing for DD transfer application in January we met with the advisor well before she started and got an actual copy of what they use to track the degree plan in their system. We have been using it to help block classes and plan each semester, even when at Blinn the first year, to make sure that everything she takes will transfer and be applicable to her degree.

What are my chances of getting accepted into TAMU for fall 2020?
I applied July 7th
SAT 1140 (took it 2 times and got the same score)
GPA 101.571
Multiple AP classes every year of high school
3 sports
Part time job throughout high school
Many community service hours
Top 12% of my class

@micaelah to better receive best guesses, a few questionsā€“

1. What major did you request?
  2. Whatā€™s the math and EBRW breakdown for your SAT?
  3. Do your ECs reflect your passion and/or aptitude for your requested major?

I requested sports management as my major, so that goes along with what Iā€™ve invested a lot of my time during high school to.
570 for both sections both test

Iā€™ve posted on here a few times, but I have yet another question! So as Iā€™ve stated before, my daughter is still waiting to hear back from A&M but because of her low SAT scores, we are preparing for an alternate admission route. However, Iā€™ve recently learned that the Gateway program is directed more towards first generation students or students with hardships. For one, is true that the gateway program is directed Towards those type of students? Also, since my daughter is a first generation college student and has divorced parents (not sure if thatā€™s considered a hardshipā€¦) would she have a good chance at getting offers to Gateway?

To refresh on her stats if that helps any,
SAT- 1090 (510 math and 580 english)
Review admit
Major - public health or biology
2 quarter, 29%
GPA - 3.9
Many dual credits (around 30 hours)

• Very good grades
  • Has worked/had a job since she turned 16
  • 350 volunteer hours
  • National Technical Honor Society
    -First Generation

Gateway seems like an amazing opportunity, hopefully she fits the requirements for it!

Thanks for reposting her stats.

That SAT and 2nd qtr tank will not get her into gateway. Divorce isnā€™t considered a hard ship. Itā€™s more like death in family, accidents to overcome etc that may impact gpa in hs but they have a good test score to show possibly aptitude.

If Tamu is her only goal, send her up here to blinn in Bryan. So many kids there have friends at Tamu and no one cares where you go. My son is in a fraternity and one of his pledge brothers and now roomie is at blinn. They are now sophomores and heā€™s about to apply. Heā€™s not looked down upon or Anything like that. Everyone has the same goal in college stationā€¦ to graduate from tamu and wear that Aggie ring. So the journey is just that, a journey.

Need a minimum 3.0 to transfer in bio. So just make sure she follows course requirements early on. Even summer school after graduation. Then she can apply in the spring for next summer or fall.

@kreed23 My DD is currently doing just that! She took a summer class before freshman year at Blinn in order to make sure she had 24+ hours (DC + summer class + fall semester) by the end of Fall semester and thus increasing her chances of being accepted right away vs being deferred. But even if you have to take Spring classes to meet requirements you can still apply and would just likely be deferred until Spring grades for decision. DD is loving it and lives in an apartment across from TAMU campus. She has many TAMU and Blinn friends. Like @AggieMomhelp saidā€¦people do know or care where you go to school. In fact many TAMU kids take some classes at Blinn too so no need to feel uncomfortable. Best of Luck!

What are my chances of admission through holistic review process? Applied for engineering.
SAT 1480; math 790 Reading/writing 690
UNW GPA: 3.2 WGPA 4.2 11 AP classes with national AP scholar. Class rank 281/863. 100 + volunteer hours

@micaelah youā€™re a tough one to chance. But, we take our chancing serious around hereā€¦ I went back through last yearā€™s admission thread to see if I could find members who applied for Sports Mgt and posted their results. What Iā€™ve mostly found are applicants who selected SM as their 2nd choice majors, and none who reported back that they were selected for that as their 2nd choice (so I have no stats to compare for the AI component). I found one applicant who was offered PSA (soft rejection), BUT, unlike you, she was 2nd quarter, and had a lower composite SAT score, but a higher math subscore.

The ā€œChance Meā€™sā€ tend to focus on ā€œstatsā€ only (or mostly), but thatā€™s only 50% of the equation. The personal achievement index (PAI) is equally important, and where you, as the prospective student, have a chance to tip the scale in your favor. I hope you put forward your best writing and supplements that conveyed who you are, and what your passions are, and that it all aligned with what you want to study.

I know this isnā€™t a ā€˜best guessā€™ answer, but I donā€™t think weā€™re going to be able to give you one. So, hold on and deep breaths. Youā€™ll have a decision soon! Iā€™m hoping so hard for you! Keep us posted, please.

Can anyone help me determine chances of admission?

I finally got more stats of my daughter. Her school is a charter school and does not rank. The class size is only 74. She is still in review. What may help but not sure is was each time she took ACT, she was listing TAMU. So her score below would be her official one time high score but her other scores hit what would have been auto admit . Hope that makes sense lol. Not sure what they are looking into when reviewing.

Applied 10/11

Major 1st : Political Science /2nd : History

ACT Composite 29

ACT English 29
ACT Math 25

ACT Reading 34

ACT Science Reasoning 26

AP - Has passed 4 tests
Current load is 5 AP Classes
Rank - Top Qtr. (transfer hurt her rank and GPA)
GPA - 3.8

Volunteer Hours - At least 300

National Honor Society
Cheer
Student Council

@Junebugxmom that act score is so close obviously to academic admit. I think sheā€™ll get a full admit offer based on that and other EC portion. Liberal arts isnā€™t a high demand college per se so that could help even though they say major is irrelevant.

Keep us posted!!!

@AggieMomhelp ā€¦ yes I know close but yet so far lol . I see so many for engineering so it is hard to know. I guess no one really knows. Crossing fingers and toes. Will definitely post hopefully sooner than later. Thank you for your insight.

Thank you!! Iā€™ll be sure to update when the time comes

In general, a high rank but lower scores (and high scores and rank just out of the top 25 percent) trended Blinn TEAM last year, particularly as the wait went on into the new year.

Can you help me understand what a first gen college student is?