TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

She should be fine with those credits. I would recommend completing those required classes in the fall and applying for summer 2021. She needs to get that gpa up this semester and then her first college semester to show aptitude in a college setting.

@kreed23 Ok, that is good! The reason I asked before providing any insight was that if she wanted to go to Medical School they don’t recommend taking core med school requirements at a community college.

But for your DD not an issue! I am with @AggieMomhelp that direct transfer is usually better particularly with a lot of Dual Credits. Also, with that major the GPA requirement is low at 2.5. Also, she can use her Dual Credit for toward the 24 hours but I believe she will still need at least 12 post high school. I would HIGHLY advise to schedule a face-2-face meeting with the advisor in that department, if possible, and discuss options (pros/cons). For my DD, the advisor recommended doing direct transfer vs PTA because of her Dual Credits. They can also give you an official degree plan and may even help you map what she has against it to make sure they apply. I would take a close look at the Course Catalog and check her Dual Credit classes against the Texas Common Course numbers and that will tell you generally what the equivalent classes at TAMU would be.

@kreed23 I meant to also send you this link to the TAMU Course catalog with the TCCN associated. https://core.tamu.edu/

Curious to see what you think. For my daughter:

Says Application Complete and in Review in AIS Portal

SAT: 1260 Superscore
Major: Liberal Arts ( Communications)
Not sure what Academic Admit vs Review Admit means?

@AggieDreamin thank you so much! We will definitely be scheduling a face to face meeting with an advisor soon. I’m thinking direct transfer is probably the better route for her.

If she is taking classes next spring semester and the transfer application is due in March for the following fall Or summer semester, would that affect her since those spring semester grades would not be completed by March?

@kreed23 I would probably go ahead and apply now and get in the cue. She would likely receive a letter that looks like a denial but read it carefully as it would likely actually be a deferment that says they will hold for Spring grades to make final decision. But maybe reach out to advisor to confirm direction.

@Almostdone20

Your student would be a review admit. The difference between academic admit and review admit is that one is an assured admission (academic admit) having met TAMU’s minimum rank and score (with subscore) requirements. Review admit is a full holistic review for admission.

TAMU doesn’t superscore, so they’re going to use the single best single sitting score that your student sent. To chance her, please provide actual SAT/ACT scores with subscores (no superscores).

Also, what about ECs (extracurriculars, activities, volunteering, leadership, athletics, clubs, etc
)? Has she won any awards related to her requested major? Is she a strong writer? Did she feel like she nailed her essays? Rank and test scores are only 50% of the admissions picture.

I would make sure that your daughter has a solid backup school or is prepared for the possibility of going the PSA route. You never know what is going to happen, but if this cycle is like last years, her scores and rank may not be strong enough.

I’ve posted these numbers before. It shows the percent admitted by each school. And you have to take into account that a good portion of that percent admitted are auto and academic admits.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa19-incl-Galveston.aspx

I’ve broken down the numbers from the past two cycles for percent of people who applied that were admitted.

Here is it by college 2019/2018
Ag 44% 53%
Arch 37% 46%
Business Admin 38% 48%
Education 41% 48%
Engineering 74% 85%
Geo 60% 67%
Gen Studies 100% (But that is the Gateway etc kids)
Liberal Arts 47% 56%
Science 53% 62%
Vet 68% 72%
Public Health 52% 57%

So last year 47% of the people who applied to liberal arts were admitted, more than likely the majority of those were auto and academic admits.

In 2019 about 5350 review applicants were admitted. That is down from 7,928 in 2018.
Here is a look at the numbers. 
49,700 total apps
26.4% - Top 10% 13,100
10.9% - Academic 5,400
4.7% - Review full 2350
6.0% - Review Alternative 3000
(23,850 total or 48% admitted - 23,733 or 56.8% admitted in 2018)

2018 about 19% of the admitted students came out of review. 2019 it was 10.7%. So a review applicant in 2018 was almost twice as likely to gain admission than a review applicant in 2019.

There were roughly 31200 review applicants in 2019. You get that number by looking at the whole number of applicants minus the Top 10% and Academic admits (Review Full and Review Alternative - plus the 25,000+ PSA and denied.)

So 7.53% of review applicants were granted full admission. And 9.62% were given alternative admission. So in total 17% of review applicants were granted full admission, Gateway, Blinn TEAM or the engineering academy. In other words - less than 20 percent of all review applicants were granted admission.

It really boils down to if everything else on the application (first generation, 20th century scholar school, talent, athletic ability, work, extra curricular activities, etc) stands out above 83% of the other fellow review applicants. There are just way more interested and talented kids applying to TAMU than there are spaces for.

Do they look at where you are in terms of ranking in the second quartile, because that could be between 26%-49% which is a large gap. Unfortunately in my area the local schools are extremely competitive and because of this does not rank.

@burnerphone415 no unfortunately they do not. You are lumped in the the general quartile. My DD was 25.2% and was in 2Q. No mercy :frowning:

So do they not look at your grades at all? Just class rank?

@burnerphone415 They supposedly use it in their algorithm to assign rank for non-ranking schools but once you are placed in a quartile by them TAMU or your school then they say that GPA is not a factor. My DD had a 4.8 Weighted GPA and was till 2Q. The issue with GPA is that every school/district seems to have a different scale so they can’t use it as an apples to apples comparison. Also, if your school is a non-ranking school they usually send a school profile to TAMU with the GPA cutoffs by quartile so they still know what quartile the school would have ranked you in. Every year there is a lot of discussion about how this is determined and how kids in competitive schools are disadvantaged. But frankly, as frustrating as it is, that is just the way they do it. I got all wrapped around the axel on this issue myself but it doesn’t help so finally realized that it wasn’t worth getting so upset about it. It will all work out in the end one way or the other. As I think I mentioned before, there are a lot of paths to A&M and if you really want to be an Aggie there is a way :slight_smile:

@burnerphone415 I have read in another post that if you are in the 2nd quarter they do look at where you are at between the 26%-49%. For example, you would have a better chance if you were at 26% than you would at a higher percentage close to 3rd quarter. Not sure of your major but I have read that some Engineering students got offers to Blinn Engineering Academy by having a 2nd qtr rank that was close to the top qtr. Hope this makes sense.

@thesaraimartinez I know you haven’t received the feedback you’d hoped for, and I’m no expert, but don’t give up hope
 My son only had a 600 Math sub score and will only complete Pre-Cal in high school and received full admission to engineering at CS in Nov. He did apply early and was in the top 5% if his class. Maybe the stars just aligned for him, but who knows
 they may align for you as well. Good Luck.

I was actually told something completely different from our local TAMU Admissions counselor about transferring into a major. She told me degree transfers within TAMU or into TAMU are just as tough as applying as a Freshman. We had specifically asked that question in case our daughter didn’t get admitted this year.

Does applying early help in gaining admission or does it just mean that you have a better chance at getting an answer earlier?

Meant to say “completely different” in my earlier response.

From what I’ve been seeing, it really doesn’t have any effect on your decision response time if you are a holistic review candidate, other than with Engineering which had an early action deadline of October 15th, and even some of those students didn’t hear “early”. It would help to apply early with Mays though, as they fill up so fast.

I personally feel it’s better to apply earlier than later, just in case, but I haven’t seen it help the review candidates.

@YankeeTexas33 @AggieMomhelp said that is is depending on major. I believe you said your daughter is applying for Engineering. It is likely just as hard for Engineering and even harder for Mays. But for some other majors it supposedly isn’t as competitive. So depends
all interested in exploring should talk to a department advisor for the desired major.

Here is where I like to let the stats do the talking.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa19-incl-Galveston.aspx

The FTIC admit rate is 56.74% and the transfer admit rate is 55.18% - very similar. But the catch is the FTIC is mainly auto and academic admits. The transfer candidates are all holistically reviewed - and you are not up against auto admits.

So if you have a certain GPA thresholds and required classes - I do think your chance at getting admitted as a transfer is greater than admitted as a review candidate.

Remember 17% of review freshmen candidates got admitted last year, that full and Blinn TEAM etc. And 55.18% of transfer candidates did. A 55% chance seems a lot better than a 17% one.