TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@ash980123 Not for Auto Admits and Academic Admits. They’re pretty fast at turning those around.

Since Mays appears to be full, does it help chance of admission to change major (first choice is business) if application is still in review?

Non ranking school, 2nd quarter
30 ACT
Lots of extra-curricular, leadership and Eagle Scout

I agree with that you will be admitted @AggieThings

For everyone else here is the link to this past cycle’s admission data that shows test scores by major.

http://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/F2019-Admission-Scores-Final.aspx

Keep in mind that the auto admit (10-percent rule) and engineering being the only department that that reviews specifically for admission to the major - Is why Engineering has stats higher than the university average.

@BlueBayouAZ You are absolutely awesome!

I got deferred from A&M engineering with an unweighted 3.15 and weighted 4.37 and ACT of 33

not surprised lol

@tacocheeze I’m surprised. What rank and math subscore?

@tacocheeze what do you mean by “deferred”? Did you apply by Oct 15th and deferred for Engineering specific decision until Jan? Or something else?

We are still waiting on Engineering Review. Auto admit into TAMU. 4.0 gpa, 14% rank, 1370 SAT. We submitted in July. The website says if you submitted before Oct. 15 you would have decision by mid-December. So I just had son call engineering admissions. They told him they release decisions every 2 weeks and are only on their 2nd round. AIS says if you met the early action of Oct. 15th and do not have a decision you are deferred to the final decision round in January. We thought by applying early this would all be wrapped up at this point. He’s stressed. We are stressed. Hoping the light at the end of the tunnel comes soon.

Have any review students received acceptance? Not hearing of many here or from our school (yet).

Chances? Either College Station or Blinn-Team?

Applied: Oct.
Major: Economics
SAT: 1280
Top 30%
Lots of Pre-AP and AP classes
NHS, Mu Alpha Theta, PALs, 100+ hrs community service
Rigorous high school #99 of 2,059 in Texas

What is PTA? I’ve tried reading up on and somewhat understand it, but have a few questions.
I have 24 hours as of today from a community college. Does that mean if I don’t get accepted for full admission, TEAM, or gateway, that I can just go to blinn and transfer after a semester? My GPA for college right now is a 3.8. Can anyone sign up for PTA? Or do they choose you?

@Jodievillllllll you can apply after your first semester but not for spring admission. Earliest would be summer. It’s too quick a turn around. The only acceptances for springs are freshman (with no after HS college credit) or transfer whi apply by the October deadline.

@Jodievillllllll For PTA you have to complete 30 hours of college credit post HS. It is guaranteed admission if you meet all of their requirements but you cannot use AP credits to fulfill those requirements. Therefore, if you have AP that would cover any of the core requirements you would need to retake them. You can go straight to Blinn or another Texas CC for this program. Anyone can sign up for PTA.

Based on past posts, I am assuming that some of your DC might be more vocational based and those will not transfer at all. My DD had 8 credits that were like that such as CNA and EKG. An advisor can tell you what will/won’t transfer.

I believe you said you were a BIMS candidate. They do not have any programs for BIMS for PTA or PSA so you would need to pick an alternative major (Biology, Chemistry. etc.)

Below are the links to the program pages so you can check out alternatives for both PTA and PSA.
https://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA
https://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA

Straight Transfer:
https://web-as.tamu.edu/ecardimages/publications/2019TCS/BIOMED19-BIMS.pdf
You should be able to use applicable AP and DC to fulfill the actual class requirement and do 45 hours post HS. BIMS is one of the harder paths for transfer and keep in mind there are a lot of very hard classes on the list including Organic Chem and you have to get a B in all the required classes and overall a 3.0+.

If this is not desirable you could check out other possible majors that will work for PA school such as Biology or Bio-Chem. I have added the links general program link below:
http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/apply

I am not familiar with the requirements for PA school but you might consider other options such as Liberal Arts. My DD plans to go to Med School and is following the Psychology BS transfer plan. Requirements are much easier to obtain to gain transfer admissions.

All in all…my biggest recommendation would be to familiarize yourself with all your options and make an appointment with an advisor in either the BIMS department or College of Science.

One critical piece of PTA is that it is a community college NOT another university route. Meaning you can’t PTA from SFA or UH.

@beanonymous Thank so much for your kind response! Congrats on your son’s acceptance! I met the December 1st deadline, so I should be hearing back soon. At least, I know that I did the best I could do, and I’ll just continue praying for my acceptance! I mean, I think that graduating a year early with an associate’s degree in the top 10% of a very small class (7/84) ought to show them my potential!

@thesaraimartinez That’s right - you did your best and now it is out of your control - so no need to stress over it. Best wishes to you …

@Bbgigem I know how that is - my oldest son didn’t get a decision until mid-Feb 2018 and he got admitted to Galveston. Easier said than done, but please tell your son to enjoy his last few months as a senior. Good luck to him …

Great advice @mikeinsugarland for all of the kiddos. You’ve done your best, and submitted your best. No more fretting! In a few weeks (may not seem short now, but in the great scheme of things… ) it’ll all be behind you, in the wind. So, 2nd semester classes have started. Spring sports are starting up. You all are going to be so busy with activities, and ceremonies, and practicing, and planning… Time to enjoy the rest of senior year. No matter what decisions TAMU makes, or what decisions you and your families make, you will, 210% sure, end up where you’re supposed to be. And, you will be amazing!

So, take this time to keep being great, and to enjoy the waning days of high school. In the meantime, we’re rooting for you! :slight_smile:

Well, we’re able to search and select courses in HOWDY - that’s new. Obviously we can’t register for any. No official decision - application in 10/10/2019 - Review Applicant, but top quarter - will be joining the Corps of Cadets (current Corps Commander at his HS) - NHS - well over 100 hours of community service - will be graduating with distinction - tons of AP and Dual Credit (has 6 credits from UT Austin) - horrible test anxiety so SATs and ACTs are low. Hoping that new tabs in HOWDY are a positive sign.

@justwondering
Please keep us posted! My son is also a Review Applicant interested in the Corps. Unfortunately, he is 2nd quarter (transferred from out of state his junior year and we had no idea about the Auto/Academic admit rules and the impact on college decisions. Best Wishes!

Good question - not sure if anyone really knows this. My son did change his second choice major for better or worse. His first choice was Mays as well. If accepted, for him, its going to be a matter of what he wants more - to pursue his degree choice with ROTC at a different school or Corp of Cadets in a major he may not be fully committed to. Best wishes!

@JustWondring Sounds like your son has 6 tabs? If he sees these additional tabs, then an acceptance is pending in the AIS: “My Record”, “My Finances” and “Student Life”. Let us know if that is the case! What is your son’s major?