TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

For those who got in last week: Did your kids get an email congratulating them about acceptance in to TAMU? Or just a packet in the mail?

Question regarding counselor recommendation/high school profile. My daughter got her netid this morning and was able to login to the AIS. She has green check marks on everything except the test scores, and SRAR which she just linked. Do you need to get the counselor recommendation and the school profile to be admitted? Are they required?

That will be the big juggernaut for us. If it is required, I am not sure we will get it anytime soon :disappointed: the GC will shoot for the 12/1 deadline. My daughter has requested her for recommendation on the common app on 8/11 and the GC has yet to start working on it. Her EA applications for 2 schools on commonapp are incomplete because of this. She may lose a couple of good outside scholarships because the counselor is not sending her paperwork in time. Now I am worried.

@ChillyCow so far, we have just gotten the email and the indication in AIS. However, some people of indicated that they started getting the packets in the mail this past weekend.

@Momof0ne For TAMU I don’t think a recommendation from the counselor is required. I am not sure what the school profile is. They will need either the transcript or letter from the counselor on class rank if getting auto admit for top 10%.

From an educator perspective, that is unacceptable that things are not getting sent to colleges in a timely manner. Maybe reach out to the principal. My son’s school has a dedicated College Admissions Counselor that helps with all things college related. Not sure if that is typical though. Not getting things submitted in a timely manner could cost families thousands!!!

@ChillyCow My S21 got an email and the packet in the mail.

@tmclanton, Thank you! TAMU has the school official transcript. Thankfully the school district has outsourced the transcript request system, i.e. kids from all the high schools in the district go to a common district portal and request transcripts. So, she requested the transcript and SAT test scores to be sent last week while she was still working on her application.

My daughter is a national merit semifinalist (hopefully a finalist, if the counselor get her paperwork done in time) and in the top 3.4% of her class of 763 (could be higher but they wont include her 2 A’s from summer dual enrollment courses). I hope that the transcript will be sufficient and they wont require the counselor recommendation. Sometimes it is beyond frustrating.

@Aguadecoco and @tmclanton , thank you! Do you remember how long it took to get an email? Like, the next day? (I hope!)

@ChillyCow We still haven’t received our email so you’re not alone

@MomofOne We didn’t have the counselor rec for TAMU and my son was admitted yesterday, but that’s very concerning for the schools that do require it

I was admitted just last week as a biochemistry major (however, i am switching to BIMS). I am ranked 57/772 in my class (top 7.3%). I have just taken 2 SAT tests and I am taking another one this saturday, so I do not have my scores yet.

Do y’all think a&m will be a lot more selective in who they admit this year?

@momofone The GC letter is not required for admissions, but it is needed for certain scholarships and honors programs, if she’s interested in that. I would forget about the GC doing a letter for admissions and instead pester them about the National Merit letter. My son is also a semifinalist and just finished his finalist application yesterday. The deadline in next week (October 7th). If the GC doesn’t write your daughter’s recommendation letter by the end of this week, I would contact the principle and maybe pursue a Plan B. This is from National Merit:

“Be fully endorsed for Finalist standing and recommended for a National Merit Scholarship by your high school principal (or school official designated by the principal)…”

Thank you @kscm91.

@sapphire33, my daughter submitted her finalist application on 9/23. Nothing from the school yet. She wants to wait till EOD today to see if the GC transmits the materials to NMSC ( you can track this on the OSA), if not she wants to call her tomorrow during her lunch time or after school. She has a double early release because she is taking 2 college courses at the local community college-online. Do you know if they will need the counselor recommendation for the Brown foundation scholarship? She is also interested in the Engineering and the University honors programs.

howdy! i was just accepted as an auto admit last week, and i did not send in a counselor recommendation. my college and career counselor said no public school in texas requires a counselor recommendation.

your daughter will, however, need to request a transcript from her high school.

S21 is not keeping up with email (argh!) and he didn’t notice he had gotten an email until I asked him to do a search for it. He noticed the email Saturday morning and he got the packet that same day in the mail.

@Aguadecoco , thanks for getting back to me on the email. I’m not sure I can wait till Saturday. Maybe I can. :slight_smile:

@MomofOne, she will need 2 letters of recommendation (doesn’t have to be GC) for the Brown if she gets an interview. My daughter had not submitted any so they requested them.

For any National Merits out there, I can not say enough awesome things about the Brown Scholarship. Scholarships stack and the Brown Scholar network is amazing. Let me know if you have any questions. My daughter is a sophomore.

@Momof0ne I would definately contact the Principal, for both the letter for NMSF and to make sure they are aware of the issue with the couselor. This is a huge concern for all seniors on campus and needs to be addressed. I hope it all works out for you! Good luck to your daughter on the NMSF!

deleted

Thanks again @tmclanton !

@ChillyCow, Congratulations! Can the recommendations be from a teacher and a mentor (her research guide a med school assoc. professor at the TX Med Center)? Also, when did your daughter get the request before of after the admission? TIA.

@michaelarose03, Thank you, and Congratulations on your acceptance! She sent her acceptance to TAMU and there is a green check next to school transcript on the AIS :smiley: .

@MomofOne, I think those would be fine for recommendations. Her interview was in December so I’m pretty sure it was after she got admitted.

@MomofOne The recommendations are not required at all for Texas A&M but they are highly recommended!! And anyone in an education or work field that knows her well is a great option! They review up to two recs. Also good luck she sounds amazing and I bet it will work out great:)

Thank you @ChillyCow and @goodlucksmarties !