3 honors classes
1 advanced cte animation class earning certification in photoshop
lots of volunteer hours
active in local theatre + crew chief/props master
started her own art commission business
LOTS of art awards
i thought her essays were fabulous
act 25
sat 1180 (i know, not great for tamu, but…)
2nd quartile - i think this hurt her and it is frustrating b/c it is a terrible and inaccurate way to judge these kids

2 Likes

So yes you take classes at blinn but you also take 6 credit hours at Tamu. You can live on campus and do anything a full time Aggie can do. And it’s cheaper. Some can Transition to full time status sooner than the 2 year mark.

And no, you are not taking a spot.

1 Like

Coming from a mom of a Psych applicant that is still waiting to hear if she got accepted to Blinn Team, I would say… if you know this is off the table, please reject it so that it is open to others. If, however, you know you want to come here, consider the cost and go ahead and decide. The cost of the courses at Blinn is less expensive, but that cost would only apply to a couple courses per semester.

3 Likes

So cost is lower, but today when I saw my financial aid, my COA was 40K. This is the amount I would pay for the BLINN dual program right? And then it would be normal 60K for OOS, when I’m fully in TAMU? Am I understanding that correct?

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but why do you think it’s wrong to judge kids based on their ranking compared to their peers? And it’s only half of the criteria they use to measure a students ability to succeed at Tamu. That and test scores are about 50% of the measurement then everything makes up the other half. It’s truly a holistic review. Test scores and ranking combined gives a pretty good picture I think.

Based on the stats and ECs I think she’ll get offered PSA. My daughter got that with about the same stats and also great ECs. They were totally right. She would not have academically been ready to succeed at Tamu. She ended up here tho and graduated early. She crushed it. I predict the same for your daughter. If she wants Tamu, she’ll get here one way or another.

I hope the best for your family. Hang in there.

5 Likes

Ok thank you! So normally it’s 12 or 15 credit hours per semester ? And then 6 out of that would be in TAMU? Or is it 6 totally per year out of the 24/30 credits per year?

I don’t know the numbers but ouch. If those are the numbers, I’d wait for the Cali schools for instate. That’s crazy insane

But yes, coenrollment rate then FT rate.

2 Likes

So that’s ~ 200k more or less for 4 years. Oof :open_mouth:, and they didnt offer much past loans as financial aid for the 40k, so I’m not going to risk hoping for substantial financial aid for 60K either. Cali is probably a financially better point right now.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

so here are my thoughts on ranking… it depends too much on influences outside your child’s control. We decide where we live and where they go to school. They can be the same kid, take same classes, make same grades but if we moved 20 miles down the road to a smaller school district she likely could be in 1st quartile. It depends on how big the school is and type of students in it. If you are in a large and competitive school the kid can appear to be less than if in a smaller school, regardless of what type of student they actually are. Ranking judges more who you are surrounded by

As a parent of a kid who would be on the same boat, A&M knows this. They know which high schools are extremely competitive. I get questioned all the time as to why I didn’t opt to let my kid go to a high school where she would be guaranteed top 10 percent. While I know that going to a competitive high school is HARD, it also builds a lot of character for life. If it means she has to work harder, then so be it because that’s what life is all about.

1 Like

Feeling very anxious and somewhat defeated this morning… We received word in January that my daughter was placed on the waitlist and was being considered for Team Blinn… We still have no news. I am really surprised, honestly, but am holding out hope that we hear back soon. If we get to Spring Break and still no news, we will have to seriously consider other options :frowning:
Stats:
Top 12% (60/477)
IB Diploma Candidate
3.9 /4.0 GPA
Over 200 volunteer hours
EC’s include school & private dance teams, NHS officer, Class Officer
Member of 3 local and state leadership cohorts
Works 2 jobs

I know she didn’t qualify for auto-admit, but her stats really had me thinking she would get in. Just need some reassurance that we still have time, I guess… Thanks!

I hope that is true, but with so many schools in texas and so many applicants, that seems like a whole lots of comparing to decide on how a kid actually ranks in relation.
Guess it doesn’t matter anyway. In the end a way will be found whether it is tamu or not.

1 Like

I cannot bear the daily disappointment of opening Howdy and still seeing 3 tabs :sob: Good or bad, we just want to know already!

10 Likes

I hear you and this comes up every single year. And I would 100% agree with you If they only used ranking as an indicator. They use everything. And they review every app twice. Different people review it and 1 person doesn’t review the whole thing. It’s piecemeal. Everything is a point system and then it’s basically put in all together. Shaken up and bam. Then that is compared across the board.

Thanks! I think the frustration and stress of what our plan B will be is making me cranky!

I think she’ll probably get on full time admit status. For Those still on waitlist, it’s a good sign.

Girl it is all so emotional. More for us than the kiddos lol. Hang in there. A year from now you won’t even remember this feeling. :hugs:

1 Like

Ughhhhh TIK TOK y’all!!! Beyond painful. Lol

1 Like

Ditto to all this from a local. If you go to First Watch, you can get on their list online so you don’t have to wait. Jessie has the best breakfast tacos in town and Jessie is a great guy! Mess Waffles at Century Square by campus is also great!

1 Like

Tiktok ? What’s on TikTok, what am I missing lol