TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

So he is a freshman in TAMU physics major now?

@sainila No, my middle is a junior at UTA (engineering) and my youngest is a senior, headed to TAMU in the fall! Sorry for the confusion :slight_smile:

Oh that’s awesome. Because my son’s second choice is physics. So you think he still has chances at TAMU for physics?

If your son is deadset on engineering, then you should not change the 2nd choice major. It is very hard to change major to engineering if you come in as something else. I do not recommend it at all. You are going up against all the students who are at tamu, galveston, mcallen, blinn academy and all the other academies.

There are some engineering programs that allow you to minor in them. IF your son wanted a type of business degree with a minor in engineering (for example) then that’s doable, but changing major just to get straight into tamu, is not the answer. THIS is my 2 cents (maybe a quarter).

3 Likes

Oh please don’t give up hope for TAMU. 2nd quarter isn’t lost hope, especially in engineering. There are just so many options to get into tamu even if not accepted straight to main campus.

I love all the other posts regarding UTA. It’s a great school. And I loved OSU when my daughter went there freshman year. Really TAMU vibe but smaller. Beautiful campus and professors were great too. I do not know anything about their engineering program though.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. I emailed them last night and got a response this morning that they do not have the resources to individually check to ensure we received his submission (maybe I am just cynical, but that sounds like, “I am not going to spend my time checking on this.”) It does not seem like it would be hard to check, but maybe there is something that I don’t know. However, she did say that if the portal previously said that he submitted that they assume it was submitted successfully.
Very frustrating considering on the Honors Portal it specifically says that “You will not receive a confirmation email” in bold letters. So, I was not expecting a confirmation email. I kept clicking on the Apply Now status and it was saying that it was complete, but now I feel like we will never know… especially since it still says Apply Now! (which then says that the date for submitting application has passed) and Business Honors says Application Received.
Hopefully, he will get accepted into the Business Honors (his main goal for the last 2 years!) and this will all be a moot point! As we get closer to the February 15 notice deadline for Business Honors, I get less and less confident that he will be accepted into that program. :worried:

Thank you so much. You really lifted my hopes.

How About 2nd Quarter Class Rank For A Liberal Arts Applicant? (Both Majors)

1 Like

@sainila I agree with @AggieMomhelp , don’t give up on TAMU. I have no idea if the physics dept. is full or not. She was accepted in Oct. I can tell you UTA does have aerospace (I think you mentioned UTD doesn’t and I remember when my son looked, UTD, a great school, did not have the engineering dept. that UTA does). My friend’s son is a senior at OSU (Civil Eng.) and it’s been a wonderful place for him! According to her, OU is better for medical and OSU is stronger for engineering. I think it never hurts to pursue back up options and get him accepted at as many schools as he would be willing to attend.

1 Like

@Physixmom thank you so much for your inputs. Do Texas residents get in state in OSU? My son’s acceptance letter states as out of state though. And sorry for the confusion. by the way it’s oklahoma state and not ohio state.

You don’t. But you do get lots of bonus tuition stuff depending on class rank and SAT score.

For Oklahoma State, you need an 1180 SAT to get the merit aid that brings tuition down to In State

Oh ok thank you. He has been given some out of state scholarship for now.

1 Like

Yeah he has a 1350

1 Like

Same…

My son was accepted to Gateway too. Please let me know if you discover a separate forum created for Gateway students. Thanks!

Ohok. Thank you

My son is LA and his app is still in review. My daughter '20, was a gateway applicant (2016). She was a LA major at the time and didn’t get her acceptance until February! The waiting is terrible.

@sainila I know it’s not an automatic thing, but her son’s scores were such that he was given in state tuition and he is from the DFW area.

1 Like

I agree. The waiting is terrible. But I guess that’s how it goes if you are not auto admit. Mine has decided to give it until end of February. If no acceptance, we move on. It’s not worth the torture. We have great offers at 2 other great schools!!

2 Likes