TAMU Engineering honors acceptance deadline letter

Hello,

I received an acceptance letter for TAMU Engineering Honors, which is great!
But then it says the following:

Congratulations! You have been accepted to the Texas A&M College of Engineering Honors program. To accept our offer of admission and be considered for scholarship opportunities, please confirm your acceptance by January 16 using the link below https://apply2.xxxxxxxxxxx
In the ‘Status’ column, simply select ‘Admit-Accept’, then click ‘Submit Decision’

Do we have to accept admission to TAMU and the Engg honors program by Jan 16?
If we don’t we lose the spot?
I though May 1 is usually the deadline to accept. How can one accept without getting decisions from other univs?

Can someone share what they know?

I think it is for scholarships, but I am unsure. I got the same letter, but there is no way I can accept before hearing from other universities.

Every school wants some hint on number of students attending school sooner than later.

Not sure if honors classes has limited number. If you decide to attend TAMU, you will have honors title. You have to attend one hour class with other honor students, choosing classes earlier is plus and honor dorm is little bigger.

May 1 is deadline is last day you can decide, which means you can back out after accepting before May 1.

Good Luck and Gig’em

@chessmaster123 The engineering honors deadline of January 16th is for scholarships and housing llc only! In regards to classes in the fall, all you need to do is accept the Honors admissions before your NSC if you attend A&M. (The A&M acceptance deadline is May 1st)

What would happen if I accepted Honors admission, but went elsewhere?

I emailed them and they said accepting the offer is not binding.

We accepted Honors for Engineering but are waiting to hear from College Honors before making final decision. Want to compare scholarships options and housing but I think she is leaning toward Engineering Honors simply for the LLC and comradery for first semester. She thinks this will help her procrastination tendencies to ensure success. My kid is a little nerdy bookworm, with little social life.

Thank you so much. This really helps.

@Mommyof2girls is your daughter a National Merit finalist? That’s really the main scholarship money that comes from TAMU. That and/or need based aid.

Honors acceptance does supposedly increase the odds so YMMV but last year the only student at my daughters large (675 in grad class) school who reported TAMU merit was URM and had demonstrated financial need per FAFSA. There were multiple kids (my daughter included) who got $0.00. ACT 34, too 2% etc. No doubt they wrote great essays and were passionate about TAMU since a lot of them were like 3rd and 4th gen Aggies. Engineering is chock full of ACT 32 kids— I can’t imagine there will be much $$ there.

She declined her acceptance in Feb so perhaps if she would’ve hung in there til the very end? Hard to know.

Someone should start a merit thread for this class. It would be interesting and also helpful for next year.

@carachel2 @Mommyof2girls I know what you mean. My S (class 2020) was a National Merit Commended (taking it cold with no prep whatsoever on PSAT or SAT) and I should have had him take it again, if I knew then what I know now. But I digress…he also earned, through a selection process of 100 invited to apply, a paid internship during his Sr year of high school at a government contracted Aerospace Engineering company (went to school 2 classes on A days, then to internship and school all day on B days) and is full time in summers as long as he is in an engineering major, with a guaranteed job offer upon graduation. Top 11%, 4 years PLTW classes, 5 yrs foreign language, appointed and elected leadership, city, region and state qualifying band awards (solo and ensemble) $0.00 from A&M.

Then I learned that kids like him are one of many. It was impressive for our school, but not on the A&M scale. Programmed the joystick of a jet simulator and instructed/demonstrated to the the pilots how to use it, He is one of two people, world wide, to do something on super computers in which he was mentioned in some big journal write up (see how technical I am? LOL) and at 18 years old. Still $0.00. He is not URM or first generation college student and does not qualify for any need based aid.

Don’t even get me started on the sheer amount of work of the engineering major. The Aggie Parent FB page towards the end of every semester is of posts about failing engineering calculus or physics and on a less public forum, the depression from being overwhelmed/fallen behind/ homesick. There are many who do fine, many who struggle but keep it together and many who do not and leave, or are removed, from the program/university. Getting in is one thing. Staying in is another.

@Thelma2 did he apply for continuing scholarship? Both of mine got those (eventually), they are merit based.

No, she is not a Merit Scholar. She took PSAT one time no prep and no understanding of it weight later on. It is sad that there are not more merit based scholarships offered for all their hard work. Because parents are in a better tax bracket she and many like her will graduate with more debt even though they have worked hard and been tops all the way through! Oh well we will go broke paying for it but it will be worth it in the end!

She falls decidedly short on EC and Volunteering also. She has basically done school, theatre and choir. I guess her essays, grades and passion got her admitted.

BTW I love the information I am gaining from these threads. Thanks You!!!