TAMU Merit based Scholarships for Out of State Freshman

Seems like A&M just don’t have enough money to go around. They’re in a bind with kids who haven’t accepted nor rejected got scholarships… still, praying for the best! I know the Lord knows better than me so I’m just grateful for doors He opens for me! Even when I don’t see the benefit…

@gogogogobruins --I doubt it. They aren’t waiting on kids to accept or reject so they can pass on the $$ to the next one. They offer a set amount and expect a certain yield.

My guess, it is taking them longer this year because the IRS DRT is not working. :wink:

I’m just seeing all of these new comments since yesterday evening, and I normally check like a crazy person. I even sent another email to the department yesterday asking what they would consider the final date that folks should assume they weren’t chosen for an award. Is it end of this week? Month? I haven’t received an answer yet, but I’m hoping soon, and I’ll update y’all. I’ve been so superstitious about Tuesdays being a magical day, because that was 1/24/17 when we all found out the University awards, and I also received word of the Aggieland Bound on a Tuesday. Likely just coincidence, but maybe today will be another good Tuesday?

A&M has a $10.5 billion endowment, the 7th largest in the U.S. UTexas is 3rd at $24 billion. Neither school has much interest in attracting OOS students, outside of A&M’s National Merit scholarships. Given how big the State of Texas is, the in-state demand to attend is so high that there is no real need for OOS scholarships to fill the student body.

I’m hoping for upgrades after people decline their scholarships!!! I know we’ve been very fortunate to get OSS tuition waiver but we still have to come up with $17000 on our own. The Corps will continue to give out scholarships all the way they summer so there’s hope!

@Beaudreau just like any other State schools. UC is even worse. And yes they have a giant endowment but I’m not sure how much is designated for undergrads tuition. Most i think are for research.

School name (state) End of fiscal year 2015 endowment U.S. News rank and category
Harvard University (MA) $37,615,545,000 2, National Universities
Yale University (CT) $25,542,983,000 3 (tie), National Universities
Princeton University (NJ) $22,291,270,000 1, National Universities
Stanford University (CA) $22,222,957,000 5 (tie), National Universities
Massachusetts Institute of Technology $13,474,743,000 7, National Universities
University of Pennsylvania $10,133,569,000 8 (tie), National Universities
University of Michigan—Ann Arbor $9,809,705,000 27 (tie), National Universities
Texas A&M University—College Station $9,754,202,036 74 (tie), National Universities
Columbia University (NY) $9,639,065,000 5 (tie), National Universities
University of Notre Dame (IN) $8,784,381,000 15 (tie), National Universities

@DoctorWho2016 - See: https://www.forbes.com/pictures/efhm45fhgd/1-harvard-university/#6e1c91a26e0a This is where I got my data; it’s for 2016. Also, both Texas and Texas A&M are for the whole system, which does dilute the numbers a bit.

And just looking at your list, TAMU is the only one that has any significant merit aid for OOS students. Although, most of those schools, at least the private ones, will meet almost all demonstrated financial needs.

We do not qualify for need-based aid. My son, who is an OOS junior, got the TAMU NMF package. By comparison, he was also accepted to Michigan, the most expensive public university for OOS students. I’m a Michigan alum and they still only offered $10K. For engineering, TAMU was a no-brainer.

@gogogogobruins --you are lot like me. A dreamer and a wisher that the world will be fair and just.

I’ve been told by multiple people that it does not work that way at most schools. They have a set amount, they expect a certain yield and they know some will turn them down. It is highly doubtful that they redistribute scholarships.

For your sake I hope I’m wrong!

@Beaudreau, I am a Michigan alum as well (Class of '82). Go Blue. My son was accepted into Engineering there, but even he figured that with their high price tag – not to mention the snow – it just made sense to stay here in Texas.

@carachel2 interesting. I figured some scholarships $$ won’t be redistributed, but i don’t understand why it would take so long to distribute all the scholarships! so i thought perhaps some are redistributed. lols.

@Beaudreau UCLA is pretty high alongside U of M. $62,000+ for out of state students/yr. crazy! When I started UCLA back in the 1988, my OSS tuition was $1900/quarter! By 1992, it was $4000/quarter though. So it was jumping pretty quickly.

@lee6666 - MBA for me, 1989. (Went to MSU undergraduate, go Green!). My dad went to Michigan medical school, post-residency. My son is now looking hard at Michigan for a PhD in aerospace engineering, so he could be third generation.

@gogogogobruins - What’s insane is that lots of people pay these amounts. Michigan has 38% OOS!

Hello everyone,
It seems that all scholarships have been given out. Is there a change in anyone’s portal?

Well, I wanted to let you all know that my son did not receive a scholarship from the engineering department. The email said that they have awarded all scholarships. I can’t say how much we appreciate all of the advice, encouragement, and support that this forum has offered, and I feel like I really have gotten to know so many of you. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of you waiting to hear back, so please all keep us posted!

It’s been such a roller coaster of emotions, but we are working things out, and our son will be attending A&M. So, y’all aren’t getting rid of me. I’ll be around to help out as best I can, and for those of you who will be moving on to other schools, you still have your College Confidential friends here who are rooting you on. We can’t let things like this define our kids, and I’ve been saying that since I first realized what a difficult time people were going to have this year with so many changes in the system.

It’s obvious that those on this forum have been and will continue to be amazing support systems for their kids, and for those of you students who are on here for yourselves, it’s obvious that you have taken great control of your own journeys, and that is an attribute that will carry you very far!

I’ll be watching closely, hoping and praying some of you post and find that you got something from Engineering!! Again, best of the best of luck!! I still haven’t uncrossed my fingers for the rest of you!!

@rvhappynow - Good fortune to your son and you! College Confidential has been a great resource four years in a row for us. We started with our oldest son, who ultimately selected TAMU for aerospace engineering. I also sought and received advice on the Michigan, Purdue, Georgia Tech, and Arizona State boards. The next year, our second son ultimately selected Miami (Ohio) to study biomedical engineering over some of the same schools, plus Trinity University in San Antonio. Last year, our youngest son picked Iowa State to study materials engineering. In addition to ISU, I got a lot of help with his selection on the Michigan State and Alabama forums. (@mom2collegekids, who mostly posts on the Alabama forum, is credited with an amazing 81,125 posts! She has helped thousands of parents and kids.)

I still keep in touch with some of the other parents I’ve “met” on these forums.

Finally, this year I am haunting the College Confidential Graduate School forum. My TAMU junior has decided he wants to get a PhD in aerospace engineering. Applications are already due this December! He is looking at TAMU, Michigan, Georgia Tech, and Princeton. @Juliet, the Graduate School Forum Super Moderator, is a tremendous resource and several others have been great helps, especially @boneh3ad!

@Beaudreau I feel like you. This forum is a blessing in so many ways, and although we are just starting this higher education journey, I feel as though I will be hanging in here for a while, especially for my youngest who will go through it all again in a few years. I can’t wait to continue to learn from such experienced and helpful people who literally have nothing to gain but the satisfaction of knowing they were of assistance. Such a neat group. I’ve told so many of my friends about it, and I hope they will take advantage of its amazing resources. If only I’d found it a few years ago!

It’s been great getting all the support, answers, advices, and shared anxiety!! This was our first year but Instill have a 14 year old, 12 year old and a 6 months old, so I’ll be around a long time! LOL!!!

@gogogogobruins - When you have finished getting the 6-month old in college, look for @Oldbeaudreau on RetirementHomeConfidential.com.