Tanning and U Miami?

<p>Please don't laugh at this post.</p>

<p>First of all I just wanted to say that I am very hardworking and intelligent, this is just a random issue that definitely affects my confidence.</p>

<p>According to my parents, I have a disorder called "tanorexia." I have a constant desire to be tanned. </p>

<p>I don't view it as a disorder, I just view it as having dark hair and eyes and not wanting to look like casper. Seriously. I am SO pale. Search Demi Lovato pale vs. tan and you will see what I mean!</p>

<p>Since tanning beds are a big no-no, I get spray tans. It looks natural but since it fades fast there's constantly that down time between being tan and then being pale when it comes off and I have to get the next one.</p>

<p>Living in a cold climate, it is a non-issue because I just wear pants and a sweatshirt or something during that down time.</p>

<p>I know this sounds stupid, but does this sound like it will be a huge issue at a place where it's constantly 80+ degrees and you have to wear shorts and tank tops DAILY? Melanoma runs in the family. Cant get a real tan. So what should I do? I do not want to be pale, I've tried for 6 years to like it and at the end of the day would rather just be tan. Will this be difficult to maintain at a college like U miami?</p>

<p>No one will seriously care… Just be happy on how you look, there are over 15000 students of all shapes and sizes.</p>

<p>Thanks! I hope so</p>

<p>@novagurl- I am sure that there are many places to get a spray tan right near campus. The sun here is very strong, you will have some color due to incidental sun exposure. Other than that, you will be fine. Not everyone on campus will look like they belong in a Hawaiian Tropic commercial. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>This totally plays into UMiami’s “Suntan U” reputation.</p>

<p>I didn’t know that reputation was still alive and well. Honestly, as a resident of SoFL, you get subjected to the sun’s rays even when you don’t want any part of it. My D and a friend played volleyball on the beach today in the late afternoon (after 4:00pm) and they came back with red faces. We don’t have to try too hard to have color here. </p>

<p>The original post SO played into the ‘Suntan U’ bit that I thought it might be a joke.</p>

<p>I was hoping.</p>

<p>Honestly, I don’t think it was a joke. A teenage girl is self-conscious about one aspect of her looks. She shouldn’t be. Not everyone at UM will look like a suntan lotion model. :)</p>