Tcu acceptance

I applied early descion for tcu. I have a cumulative gpa of 3.74 and only a super score of 1040 on the SAT. I have many extra curricular activities and work experience. I also had an interview with the dean of admission. What are my chances?

Depends on your class rank and the major you applied for

But your GPA is good, and TCU cares about extracurriculars so that’s all good. If your interview with the dean went well then I think you have a good chance. :slight_smile:

I would be a little worried about your test scores. They are super selective over test sores and will deny 4.0 students with bad test scores. (Source: Niche) Your scores fall well below the middle 50%(Source: TCU Admissions and Test Scores) and TCU only selects around 29% of Early Decision students (Source: Past TCU mandatory IR report) If you are financially sound, that also decreases your chances. Heath Einstein is trying to build economical diversity and does not agree with economically advantaged student applying early decision because it cuts out spots for kids who need financial aid. However, if you really do have a ton of extracurricular and work experience, then you may also have a good chance, as TCU values personality, highly.

My school doesn’t rank and the interview went well

I applied for health and fitness

@wman99 - I have serious concerns about some of the information you’re relaying in regards to this notion that “financially sound” applicants have less of a chance? I’ve been through this process with several of my kids ranging from the TCU’s, Notre Dame’s, large public universities, and the gamut of everything in between. These schools are “need blind”…that means they do not view you less or more if you can or can not afford tuition. Where in the world did you “hear” this intel about students with little or no financial need having less chance of ED, EA, or regular admission at TCU? I get the diversity goal…but that has less to do with $$. Besides…during the ED/EA application phase, students are not required (emphasis on “required”) to disclose need or the ability to pay tuition so how would the admission folks even know? Sorry…I just thing this is inaccurate.

@SgtFriar2015

"Einstein said his main focus on the incoming class is access. He asks his staff questions like “how are we making TCU more accessible to applicants?” before making almost any decision. Because of this, the admissions center will be implementing more programs.

Three years ago, Early Decision was added as an option for incoming students. Einstein said the admissions center will not admit more than 20 percent of applicants that apply Early Decision. His reasoning was that this would be unfair to other applicants that may not be financially able." This is a quote from an official TCU360 Article.

“Admitting 50 percent like other schools like Penn, Columbia, Duke… separates the haves from the have-nots,” Einstein said.

“It would be unfair to applicants that may not be financially stable.” https://www.tcu360.com/2016/11/student-admissions-process-changes/

@wman99 - Limiting ED applicants is all fine and well but I think the messaging is mixed here. Reserving some spots in the general admissions pool for diversity and financial-need students has little to do with those who have the means to pay being viewed as “less-likely to be selected” (as you inferred in your earlier post). I helped my son through the entire application process as I have for my other kids. I didn’t see any reference on the application of “financial means” other than the possible FAFSA application (which is separate). I would just be cautious in the messaging here. There is no class of students who have some financial “advantage”. Either their families and they have secured the means to pay or they have a need that they can demonstrate that will result in an award. Need-blind…I stress…Need-blind.

@SgtFriar2015 thank you! That’s what I thought!

@SgtFriar2015 Fair enough. You’re right and I took it out of context. Thanks for straightening things out with my statement.

@SgtFriar2015 Most Universities claim to be need blind these days, but in reality very few really are because they cannot afford to give too many people a free ride. Schools claim to not look at your financials until after they make a decision, But while reviewing your application they see where you live, what HS school you attended, whether you worked at a fast food place in your spare time or if you took violin lessons, golfed, and volunteered summers in Greece. So please don’t kid yourself, they Have a really good idea of your financial resources before cracking open your fafsa. I know this flies in the face of what you are being told, but the data on most schools does not support your theory. The NY Times compiled data on almost every school relating to things like median family income, which at TCU is $187k(which is over three times the average family income in the United States) That’s no accident, and certainly not the result of being truly need blind.
See link below:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/texas-christian-university

@edhdad We are of the same mind here…Not fooled or fooling myself. LOL. This isn’t my first rodeo either. My original point was - it is highly unlikely a university (especially a private one like TCU) is going to give less consideration to applicants that “can afford” tuition when they are equally qualified. It’s counter-intuitive. I agree 100%…there can only be so much aid.

@SgtFriar2015 I misunderstood your original post. I have been talking to so many of my kid’s friends parents that are grossly misinformed about college that I assumed you were saying the opposite. A common misconception of the upper middle class seems to be that poor families have it made when it comes to college. And while it may be true that low income families do receive need based aid, they are accepted and attend colleges in such smaller numbers that it makes it very hard to be jealous of the help they get.

@EDHDAD - Appreciate that and I hear you. Good luck to all and I get this “vibe” that we EA’ers are going to hear from TCU in the next few days :slight_smile: