Texas A&M admitted students for the Class of 2027

@hershey18 not sure how likely it’ll be, that you can get in HNR sections, if not in an HNR program.
Doubtful you’d have much of a chance getting in any Eng HNR classes, if not in an HNR program.

UH should allow you to get into HNR sections, but UH is weird. You’ll have their set of rules & requirements, but you’ll also have an advisor in Eng. UH is a stand alone program, doesn’t work with your major. But it would at least allow you to get early registration & hopefully in a few HNR sections. But without being in any HNR program, slim to zero chance at getting in any HNR classes.

Early/Priority registration is a big deal at A&M, simply because it’s such a HUGE school, and Engineering is the largest degree program.

When did you pay Housing deposit?

i think i paid january 16, so not particularly early.

also, i noticed that the engineering honors application is still open. i’ve started it even though it said the deadline is march 12th. is it worth giving a shot now?

A January deposit is late, being honest. Unless you can match with a roommate who paid deposit in September or early October, there won’t be a lot open for 2, for sure nothing on Northside.
Don’t know if you have thought about which dorms you’d like?

If you’re wanting to take HNR section classes, you’ll need to stick with UH. You won’t be able to register for any HNR sections w/o it. That being said, since you’ll be going thru ETAM, be cautious about what classes you take, because you’ll need that 3.75+.
There’s a thing called Grade Distribution (which is better, more accurate than looking at Rate My Professor) when researching classes. HNR doesn’t always mean ‘harder’, but it usually means more work, an extra project, etc.

1 Like

I guess you can try. Weird that it would still be open.

@hershey18 REgarding registration…there is pre registration in which everyone has a certain window to register and then regular registration, when registration is open to everyone. Yes, students in honors get an early preregistration slot, however this doesn’t mean that there are enough seats open YET to accommodate everyone. Many (including honors) come out of preregistration far from a complete schedule. During regular registration, classes and seats are typically made available to meet demand. If you are not honors, my understanding is that it is very unlikely to get into any honors courses because those do fill up with the honors students in preregistration.

On one hand, engineering honors will have more work and extra projects to do. However, eng honors also have more opportunities for research and career fair meetings and it looks great on your resume. These are great reasons to do eng honors. Just keep in mind that registration can be stressful for anyone

2 Likes

thanks so much for the quick responses. yes i’ll apply to eng honors and see what happens… thanks a lot!

1 Like

thank you! this is really helpful

1 Like

@Eggscapgoats is :100: correct!
Early/Priority registration is a HUGE perk, but still doesn’t guarantee you’ll get your ideal schedule.

1 Like

i totally understand, thank you! this is all just bit confusing because i changed majors, and the fact that what i choose will end up affecting my housing, which will open soon:

1 Like

My 2 cents on honors… I wouldn’t do it as an engineering major. I do not see the benefit overall. Upon graduation, you will have the same opportunities as honors. There’s not a lot of weight to it in the real world. Engineering is a great degree and is highly sought after. Also, in freshman year… focus on the standard curriculum Vs the extra work so you can get that 3.75 and be guaranteed your first choice major. It’s not like the hnr classes are weighted like high school.

And as for preregistration Vs regular. I’ve had 2 kids go through Tamu plus over 100 that I’ve helped… everyone gets the classes they need. Yes it may not be the best time every time or the best prof every time, but it’s not dramatic. It’s life. It all works out. We put a lot of stress in all this extra stuff. Go to class and do well and everything will fall into place. Again, my 2 cents.

4 Likes

@hershey18 agree with @ChristiR93 …she’s the guru! Not harm in applying now-if it’s still open. If you happen to get in, Great! But I wouldn’t fixate on trying to get in later. The initial goal for Engineering is getting that 3.75+ for ETAM, so you can get into your desired Biomedical Engineering.

Pros/Cons to UH.
Pro is the dorm-Northside Modular. Big dorm and you don’t have to go thru dorm selection. Another Pro will be spring early/priority registration.
Cons are extra added ‘fluff, busy work’-mixers, not being able to select room or roomie.
All students, regardless of HNR designation, register at the same time, at NSC, so no perk there.

Curious, is there a reason why you really, really want to be in one of the HNR programs? Like Christi said, the Engineering program at A&M will open doors, provide great opportunities during school & after graduation…with or without HNR.

2 Likes

@ChristiR93 @52AG82 hi! so the reason why i’m fixating on honors a bit is because i actually will be doing the premed track and i want to go to med school, so i had the thought that honors coursework would look impressive. but i totally agree that it may be better to successfully go through etam first… i’m just confused because i don’t want to miss out on any opportunities, especially since i know eng honors has a strong research focus which i think is really good for premed

2 Likes

but thank you so much for your timely input

Your gpa is more impressive than the rigor of the classes. It isn’t like high school. A high gpa is critical to get into med school. They don’t weight grades or factor in that it was an honors class.

2 Likes

@martinezcs agree :100:! @hershey18 med school will primarily look at gpa and MCAT score hardest. They’ll also look at your overall transcript, so don’t haul off and take a bunch of classes-certainly no math or sciences- at Blinn/juco/community college.
A&M offers some incredible orgs & clubs you can join, in the medical field, which would look great on a resume and might lead to volunteering and internships. There are even medical study abroad tips, thru Global Medical Brigade.
Med school will be looking for a solid student, as well one that’s well rounded & involved in the community vs one that took honors courses.

2 Likes

@martinezcs @52AG82 makes a lot of sense. it also hit me that college itself is a lot to get used to, and I might be overwhelmed already without the honors stuff on my plate. bettwe to focus on my larger goals (med school). thank y’all for the help!

3 Likes

*better

My Daughter just signed up for NSC - she is going to Mays!! She got the conference dates for June 21 and 23rd. I hope the classes she wants will not get filled in by then. @52AG82 I know you have your child in Mays - can you suggest what courses should my daughter sign up for 1st semester? She is a bright kid and is planing on majoring in MIS. Are there courses that she should absolutely try and get in first year and are there courses she should avoid? Thoughts? Thank you.

1 Like

My daughter got accepted for Blinn and choosing Public Health major. Is there a typical course plan for students planning to transition after a year? Does anyone start pre-register already to Rellis campus already?

1 Like