Texas A&M Automatic Admissions

I know homeschoolers can get top twenty-five percent rank assigned by Texas A&M, but can homeschoolers get assigned a top ten percent rank by Texas A&M? I have a 4.0 GPA through 7 DC classes and am taking 8 more for my senior year.

Home school can only be ranked in top quarter. So sorry but your 4.0 will serve you well in college. It shows you have what it takes. They will look at that, but there’s no automatic for home school kiddos since they took away academic admit last year. Do well on your tests and you will be just fine. Keep us posted.

Thank you. Would you recommend putting in my essay why I did not go to public school? Public school was never academically challenging for me so I eventually changed to homeschooling (I am fourteen)?

You were 14 when you started homeschool or you are now?

And yes, if the prompt asks about your experiences, I would give that a mention, but I keep it positive. You don’t want to be negative against the public/private school sector. That would not look good!

I am fourteen now, I plan to enter A&M with roughly 50 credits.

What SAT score would you say I need?

Oh dear, you are on top of things. Be really careful about having too many credits. It really limits you. I always recommend no more than 30. If you’re using more AP than Dual, then you can pick and choose those credits.

Solid SAT would be 1400 and higher. For ACT 30 plus. That’s not an absolute, it just depends on the whole application.

Keep up the hard work, but really think about taking on too many college credits before graduation. When is your expected HS graduation?

My graduation date is May. I am hoping to major in Business. Do you think I can get into the Mays business school? I scored a 27 on the ACT when I was 12 (for Duke TIP) and I am taking the SAT on August 28 (I am scoring around 1400 on practice tests, hoping to get 1480 :).

Extracurriculars: Volunteered at the library and for Gutenberg (140 hours), Swim competitively, JV soccer for a club team, officer of a philosophy club, member of an accounting club, running an online Ebay business (roughly 5-6k in profit last year), founder and leader of a homeschool book club

EDIT: Also I read that it is better to apply earlier for review admits, can you submit SAT Scores after submitting the ApplyTexas?

Is there a reason you have waited to take the sat as a high schooler? What is your rank. A 1400 and higher is solid if you’re top quarter. Your ECs look great! Definitely highlight them.

As for Mays… it fills up in October, typically. So if you’re app is not complete with test score by then, you may miss the boat in business. You can apply without test score and send in later, it’s just going to be hard to get into those competitive majors like Mays without it.

So bottom line… apply as soon as you can.

But please answer the rank question so I can be sure I’m giving you the best advice.

I’m homeschooled but I think I’ll get assigned top quartile. I have a 4.0 highschool unweighted GPA and a 4.48 weighted GPA. The reason I waited to take the SAT until this summer is because I wanted to take it during the summer (no interfence with extracurriculars and academics) and I also wanted to wait till I was older to take it. I figure since I scored a 27 on the ACT at 12 (without studying), I should be able to get a 1400, with a two months of studying, at 14.

I’m confused. What year are you? Are you graduatin at 15?

I am graduating at fifteen in 2022.

Wowzers

Do you think I’ll get in the Mays Business School though?
Also, even though I am trying to go to A&M at fifteen, I will be living at home with my parents.

I’m glad to hear you’ll be living at home because college is a different beast, socially.

You have a great chance. Since taking SAT in august your scores will be in soon enough for decision on holistic review. The fact you are 15
Is unique. It’ll help you standout.

How do you think I should show that my age is unique? I am part of two organizations: Davidson Gifted and an organization for the Radically Accelerated (people who will graduate college by eighteen). Do you think I should list them? Also, when I apply I will be fourteen, when I start college I will be fifteen (my fifteenth birthday is in February).

@AggieMomhelp Also, should I submit the ApplyTexas without the standardized test scores and then add them to the AIS portal once I get them? Or, should I wait to submit the ApplyTexas until I have my test scores?

Apply first. Test scores will be sent by the testing company directly. You won’t upload them. Don’t apply test optional. You need to show how smart you are.

In the essay, it’ll ask about your high school life and how it has shaped you. Be honest and real (but don’t say you were bored in traditional school). Just be you. Don’t over fluff the essay. They was unique. Not the typical answers.

Letter of recommendations will be good. Do you live in cstat or near by community?

1 Like

I think I’ll have great letters of recommendation. I live in Spring, about an hour away from A&M. My mom will drive me for the first year (which is really nice of her), and then I think I will live on campus.

Your mom is amazing! Have your mom check out my free service site for Aggie help. Aggie2aggiehelp.com

I live in Aggieland. Happy to help y’all if you need it.