Texas State Nursing

I am currently a freshman at UT Arlington as an out of state student. I am interested in transferring to Texas State for the upcoming fall semester, however I am afraid of not getting accepted into Texas States nursing school as a junior, and I would prefer to not have to transfer elsewhere for nursing. Does anyone know anything about their nursing program? Like stats, acceptance rates, reviews, etc.
I currently have a 3.2 GPA

I don’t know anything about Texas State but I looked at their website - St. David’s School of Nursing under Admission Profiles. Here is the link:

http://www.nursing.txstate.edu/prospective-nursing-students/admission-profiles.html

It appears that in 2015 there were 234 completed applications and 100 applicants accepted. The prerequisite GPA was 3.51 and the science GPA was 3.48. In 2012, there were 300 completed applications and 100 applicants accepted. This program is fairly competitive. With your current GPA, you may not be able to get in based on the above information. You would need to pull your GPA up to at least at 3.5 or higher to become competitive enough for the nursing program. So, it may not be to your advantage to transfer to Texas State if the only reason is for nursing. If this does not work out for you there are other options such as getting a bachelors in a different field and then going for a 2nd bachelors in nursing, getting a 2 year associates degree in nursing from a community college or looking at other 4 year nursing programs that may be a little less competitive.

@blueskyforever Do you know any less competitive programs?

@IamATaco What part of the country do you prefer? Do you want only public schools or private also?

@IamATaco What part of the country do you prefer? Do you want only public schools and/or private - 4 year BSN and/or 2 year associates degree programs?

In addition to Texas, you might look at some public universities that are in less popular states (and therefore are less competitive) and have reasonable out of state tuition. There are online screening tools that tell you which colleges have nursing majors. In the southeast, most accept students into nursing for the third year, so they may be open to transfers.

The state where you attend college does not matter for nursing - everyone takes the same certification exam, and it is just a matter of paperwork to move from one state to another.

I only know schools in PA, from research I did for my daughter.

If you can afford private tuition and are willing to fly to college, you might look at a few colleges in Pennsylvania, such as La Salle University and Thomas Jefferson University, which are each in Phila. or Alvernia U. or Misericordia U. in PA. Some of the direct entry universities in PA have little or no room for transfers, but those might, and Jefferson specializes in transfers.

There also are a few hospital based nursing programs that still exist, which often have high pass rates in PA. One is the PA. College of Health Sciences in Lancaster PA, another is St. Luke’s School of Nursing in Fountain Hill/Bethlehem PA, and another is the Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences in Reading PA.