Thanksgiving in Tuscaloosa

<p>We have decided to drive down and spend Thanksgiving with son in Alabama since he has a ticket to the Iron Bowl and his sister has never been on campus and wanted to visit. </p>

<p>Are restaurants open on Thanksgiving? If so, which restaurants would you recommend to have a nice holiday dinner? As an aside, for OOS students who are unable go home for Thanksgiving, does the Honors College or the university organize something for these kids?</p>

<p>Pretty much everything is closed on Thanksgiving. I think Cracker Barrel is about the place open that you can get a nice Thanksgiving meal, however I’m also pretty sure everybody here would insist that your family have dinner at their house. :)</p>

<p>Given the camaraderie and generosity of the CC family, I wouldn’t doubt it, feenotype. Cracker Barrel will do as long as the family’s together. Thanks for the feedback!</p>

<p>Sophocles: Perhaps your son will receive an invitation to spend Thanksgiving with one of his suite mates. My son, for example, is going to the home of one of his suite mates for the day, but they plan to return to the campus that evening. They do not want to deal with Iron Bowl traffic. I also know that some of the students who are OOS and remain on campus during the holiday plan to do their own Thanksgiving dinners. Publix, I am sure, will offer a Thanksgiving meal deal (our grocery stores do that here). You could order one and do dinner that way.</p>

<p>If you want, you can go to B’ham…</p>

<p>The Wynfrey Hotel in the Riverchase Galleria has a T’giving Brunch buffet that’s popular.</p>

<p>Reservations are required, and the number to call is 444-5706.
Brunch hours are 10:30 a.m. until 2 p.m.</p>

<p>There are places where you can order food for pick-up Wednesday to cook/heat/serve on T-day. We may do that if we do T-giving in T-town.</p>

<p>I wonder if FIG offers a “to go” T-giving meal?</p>

<p>I’m wondering if the Capstone Hotel serves T-giving dinner.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input, momreads. I called Publix and they’re closed on T’giving. Mom2, we’re arriving late afternoon on Thurs., which rules out the Capstone (until 2pm) and the Wynfrey Hotel. We may end up bringing our own dinner on dry ice, which would also work since we booked a suite with a kitchen in T-town. It looks like nothing is open on Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>Have I mentioned how wonderful “Thanksgiving in Tuscaloosa”? It is on my list of things to do. I would be happy at Cracker Barrel. I would have to get tickets to the game though ;)</p>

<p>whoops forgot a word…how wonderful “Thanksgiving in Tuscaloosa” sounds?</p>

<p>sophocles…</p>

<p>your student has Wed off from school. he could go to Publix on Wednesday and buy what you want and put it in his fridge.</p>

<p>Great suggestion, mom2! The trick is to get him to go to Publix. He’s gone once to get a box of cereal…now to convince him to pick up our dinner will be a major accomplishment. I’ll inquire about their prepared food selection. </p>

<p>ldinct…we didn’t really plan on spending Thanksgiving in T-town but son didn’t feel it was necessary to go home since two weeks later, he would be back home for Christmas break. So we thought it would be neat for us to go down, spend time with him there, really SEE the campus this time around (didn’t see much during Aug. move in), and experience this incomparable southern football atmosphere at the Iron Bowl. But I agree, “Thanksgiving in Tuscaloosa” has a certain ring to it!</p>

<p>When I think of all those fans in T-town for T-giving, I can’t believe that there aren’t more places to eat that day. I can’t imagine that most are going to show up on Friday morn.</p>

<p>I wonder if many are staying in B’ham? </p>

<p>Or are they going to be tail-gating on the quad that night?</p>

<p>@ Sophocles: my D is a regular at the Publix. Visits at least 2x/week (hence while she still has 104 meals left on her plan :)</p>

<p>My hometown Publix lets you order ahead. From the Publix website: “Let us take care of the prep for you with a Publix Deli Holiday Dinner. Just place an order in advance and then simply pick up a fully-cooked Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings. You’ll spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the company of family and friends.” Here’s the store contact info: Main: (205) 247-5044.</p>

<p>I’d say call and ask if they’re doing the meals. They may not, because as my D says “It’s the world’s smallest Publix!” If you call ahead, all your son will have to do is pick it up.</p>

<p>RobD - Thanks for the information, I too will be calling, I’m stressing leaving S with no meal for Thanksgiving. How does the entire family call him all gathered here only to hear he’s eating cereal. Sophocles - S is in Riverside and says he take Crimson Ride down but usually walks back since CR would take him on a longer ride around campus.</p>

<p>Thanks for the number, RobD! I called Publix and it looks like a great option for us. The holiday turkey dinner consists of turkey (large, regular, or turkey breast), dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry relish, and apple cranberry cobbler. I was asked to call back in a couple of days for pricing information. I was also advised to order early since they are a small college supermarket and they don’t typically plan on offering too many dinners.</p>

<p>Was wondering whether the dining halls are closed during Thanksgiving break. What are the kids supposed to do on Thanksgiving day?</p>

<p>Socal, son is in Riverside, too! He has a bike that takes him around campus but the problem is bringing the food back (by bike) to his dorm to store it in the refrigerator. I will suggest taking the Crimson Ride back even for a longer ride. Thanks for the tip!</p>

<p>Dinings halls are closed for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>Remember there are several full-size Publix stores in town.</p>

<p>Was wondering whether the dining halls are closed during Thanksgiving break. What are the kids supposed to do on Thanksgiving day?</p>

<p>Yes, they’re closed.</p>

<p>There won’t be enough kids without a place to eat to justify keeping the dining halls open. Those who aren’t traveling OOS are eating with friends/suitemates. Southerners are very good about inviting those without a place to eat.</p>

<p>socal - I’m stressing about the same thing, although DS doesn’t seem too concerned… guess if he’s not worried I shouldn’t be?</p>

<p>I did manage to find a restaurant open on Thanksgiving, after all! Made reservations at the Epiphany Cafe’, whose local farm-to-table concept is appealing, and menu, creative and intruiging. Be prepared to reserve with a credit card because of game night.</p>

<p>The Legends Restaurant at the Capstone Hotel on campus is open on Thanksgiving Day. A Buffet is served until 3 pm. At 5 pm you can have dinner off the regular menu…or a plated turkey dinner. My family and I are going to the Iron Bowl too as my son is a student. Reservations strongly suggested. Hope this helps you. Happy Thanksgiving! ROLL TIDE!!!</p>