Thanksgiving in Tuscaloosa

<p>^^^ Here’s an idea, since many local students go home, the dorms are relatively empty, so you could fly down, shop at Publix (pre-order a Turkey), and cook at the dorms. You could have a small family Thangsgiving dinner or opt for a full out shindig and invite all your student’s friends on campus. If I were hosting a group, I would do it buffet style. Just check with your student, some residence halls do not have regular ovens in the common kitchens. There are common areas where you can eat if you host a group. Paper goods and aluminum pans would make cleanup a snap. Everyone could contribute something to the Bama Feast.</p>

<p>If the kitchen does not have an oven/range perhaps you can order a cooked turkey from Publix, which you could then slice, heat and serve in gravy using a microwave.</p>

<p>LOVE!!!</p>

<p>I’m tired of the “family” thing with a host of extended family that never really contributes anything and only shows up for the free meal. Sad, I know that I even feel that way. Told DH after last year that it was our last. I am so ready for a change! I love feeding all the high school band kids for game days and contests and they appreciate the heck out of it. It makes my heart sing. I’d even bring my own parents down as I know they would love to do something like that. </p>

<p>Wheels a turnin in my head… If any other CC parents were thinking about going down we could pitch in together and get a good sized common space with a prep kitchen available and have a grand time.</p>

<p>So glad that you liked the idea, I would love to join you but unfortunately cannot :frowning: However, I am sure the CC kids would love a meal to attend. Have a great time if you decide to do this!! The ladies at the bakery at Publix are really nice, I am sure that they would whip you up a great cake or pie.</p>

The Piccadilly located in University Mall on the corner across from Midtown is open and has wonderful options. However, if you would like to come eat with my family… it will be interesting this year! My daughter is also a student at UA. Since my extended family was going out of town, I invited three ladies from an assisted living home that had no where to go. I will pick them up at 12:00 and we will eat at 12:30 ish. We have lots of space and live only ten minutes from campus!

http://bamadining.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2013/11/Thanksgiving-Break-Hours-11-24-thru-11-29.pdf

Other options for those staying over Thanksgiving break:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20151123/NEWS/151129864?p=1&tc=pg

FYI - in 2016, many students will remain on campus because the Auburn-Alabama game will be played in Tuscaloosa.