The applied/admit numbers for 2019 - Confirms how competitive the cycle was

There is no way to sugar coat the significant drop in admits for the class of 2023.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa19-incl-Galveston.aspx

I’ve broken down the numbers from the past two cycles

Total applied 42,014
Total admitted 23,840 - or 56.74%

Total applied 35,566
Total admitted 23,694 or 66.62%

Let that sink in.
A full 10% less students were admitted last cycle. We knew that was happening. There were thousands more people that applied and they did not increase the freshman class size measurably.

Here is it by college 2019/2018
Ag  44%  53%
Arch  37% 46%
Business Admin 38% 48%
Education 41% 48%
Engineering 74% 85%
Geo 60% 67%
Gen Studies 100% (But that is the Gateway etc kids)
Liberal Arts 47% 56%
Science 53% 62%
Vet 68% 72%
Public Health 52% 57%

I did all the numbers by hand - so I hope I didn’t mess anything up. We don’t know how this admission cycle is going to shape up, but I would really encourage applicants to look at PSA options before the decisions come down. The hard truth is if you are not an automatic or academic admit - you are probably not going to get admitted to college station or Blinn TEAM.

This document from 2018 shows 17% of the admits come from review.
https://provost.tamu.edu/Provost/media/Assets/pdfs-essentials/TexasA-Messentials_Freshman-Overview_ew.pdf
Based on early numbers - I think it is around 10% in 2019.

I am not trying to be discouraging, but I hope applicants look at the numbers and come up with realistic plans in the likelihood that the decision is not what is wanted. It can be PSA, PTA, straight transfer or a university other than TAMU.

@BlueBayouAZ Just for clarification, you’re basically saying that if you’re not auto or academic admit the only option will be PSA, PTA etc.? So there’s no chance that a review applicant can get any other option besides just PSA?

That is an oversimplification. But review applicants made up only 4.7% of the the applicants admitted to the College Station campus last year. And additional 6% got an alternative admission decision like Blinn Team, Gateway etc.

Bottom line - less than 20% of review applicants were full or alternative admission decisions last year. So when people asked to be “chanced” they should be asking themselves - “is my application in the top 10 to 15 percent of applications.”

Here is some some admission stats I posted before.

49,700 total apps
26.4% - Top 10% 13,100
10.9% - Academic 5,400
4.7% - Review full 2350
6.0% - Review Alternative 3000
(23,850 total or 48% admitted - 23,733 or 56.8% admitted in 2018)

41,760 total apps
26.7% - Top 10% 11,159
11.1% - Academic 4,646
9.9% - Review full 4,115
9.1% - Review Alternative 3,813

27.6% -PSA 11,518
15.6% - Denied 6,509 
In 2018 - 42.2% of applicants got PSA or denied. In 2019 that number was 52%. So nearly 10 percent more students were PSA or denied for the class of 2023. 2018 about 19% of the admitted students came out of review. 2019 it was 10.7%. So a review applicant in 2018 was almost twice as likely to gain admission than a review applicant in 2019.

There were roughly 31200 review applicants in 2019. You get that number by looking at the whole number of applicants minus the Top 10% and Academic admits (Review Full and Review Alternative - plus the 25,000+ PSA and denied.)

So 7.53% of review applicants were granted full admission. And 9.62% were given alternative admission. So in total 17% of review applicants were granted full admission, Gateway, Blinn TEAM or the engineering academy. In other words - less than 20 percent of all review applicants were granted admission.

@BlueBayouAZ WOW!!! Thank you for the great info. This is good to know,

@BlueBayouAZ . Thanks for sharing/analysing Class of '23 stats. When I open your first link (dars.tamu.edu) there are 2 tables stretching back to 2010-2019 for FTIC and then 2014-2019 for 1st Time Graduate. What is the main difference between each ?..Does the FTIC reflect genuine freshman and the 1st Time Graduate show transfer only application/admit/enroll figures?
Also are there ever any stats revealed to show PSA offers/acceptances then the follow up enrolled # the subsequent school year? ie. The Admissions Profile Update for Fall 2018 shows that 9,000 were given PSA offer - It would be interesting to see how many of those who accepted that offer actually enrolled at College Station in Fall 2019. In light of the significant number who received PSA offers this past cycle('23) there potentially could be a higher % working towards Fall 20 admissions - I often wonder how Admissions factor/piece this unknown number (as Spring grades are required & not available til early/mid May) into their ‘offer of admission puzzle’ for the new incoming Class of '24 especially when it seems they are actively trying to cap/monitor annual intake. I guess there’s a magic formula somewhere :slight_smile:

Undergraduate VS graduate students.

Aah! Thx

@BlueBayouAZ Thank-you for the insight! Sorry if you have explained this and I missed it, but I see from your first post that total apps went from 35566 (2018) to 42014 (2019). Then in a later post, total apps was 41760 (2018) and 49700 (2019) . Why aren’t the totals for each year the same? Is the difference because the first posts’ numbers don’t include incomplete apps?

Either way, that is a huge jump in applications in one year. Since total freshman enrollment is remaining relatively constant, it makes sense why academic admission is going away. Thank-you!

The data is reported by two different sources.

No matter how we want to frame it - PSA is a “soft” denial. At regional admission sessions - the presenters say that the vast majority of “denials” are incomplete applications.

I think the DARS data (the first set of numbers) includes anyone who sent in a COMPLETE application. The second set is from the presentation from admission/provost. I believe those numbers include ever application received. So the ones without SAT/ACT scores, no transcript etc.

TAMU has made it clear that they “deny” very few applicants. They pretty much offer PSA to anyone who completes the application process, with very few exceptions.

And it should be noted that the second set of numbers is not apple to apples - 2018 is actual numbers with the reporting of PSA and Denials. The 2019 is rounded data and no breakdown of PSA and Denials.

Isn’t all this assuming that number of applicants is either the same or up for fall of 2019? I have heard that there are fewer kids nationally applying to college this year in general – just a generational thing.

My father graduated from HS in 1984, and he said it was briefly easier to get into Elite colleges at that time b/c the Baby Boomers had already gone through and colleges were suddenly faced with fewer applications than they had in the 1970s. I just heard that some schools are seeing the same thing this year, as fewer millennials are out there with HS seniors dropping in number…

This is what happened the past two years.

The population in Texas is increasing. TAMU saw thousands more applicants in 2019 compared to 2018.

I would add that I do not expect the rate of applications to drop at UT or TAMU. They are having record applications. UTD had grown a remarkable amount in the past t0 years.

Where you might see a decline is some of the more regional school - like SFA, Lamar, Etc.

But still, Texas is growing in a way other states are not.