The next big stress...move in times

<p>I meant they weren’t checking for names on a list. Yes, of course you need your id to get your key -</p>

<p>When we moved into Ridgecrest East last year we were stopped at a blockade by security before pulling up to the building and had to give our name so they could verify we were there at the right time.</p>

<p>Once verified we pulled up to the building and the helpers had our car unpacked within 2 minutes and took lil bro’s stuff up to his room for us on a cart. They then asked us to park our car elsewhere so others could pull up to the building for unloading. Whole process was super smooth since we got there right when we were supposed to.</p>

<p>From what I understood, if you arrived early or late they asked you to pull to the side and they would bring you up as space was available.</p>

<p>This was just for outside unloading. They didn’t check times when lil bro went in to get his keys.</p>

<p>Hmmm. We did have the 8 a.m. move in - the first of the day. Perhaps they just didn’t have the blockade in place yet. . .</p>

<p>I recommend signing on early the day you choose your time, and plan what will work best for you as far as getting back on the road/to the airport in plenty of time.</p>

<p>Ditto to timeflew…if you are moving in early for recruitment you need to make sure you sign in to pick a move in time ASAP on the day you can pick. They started choosing times at 8 am that morning…we signed in at 10:20 (when DD had the “aha” moment that she realized this was happening!) and the first available time was the next day at 9 am…you do not want to move in on Sunday with convocation that night! (although unfortunately some will).</p>

<p>Okay guys. Time to bail out the new mom again please. Do incoming freshman choose a move-in time? If so how? Do we get an email? We are coming in two vehicles (one is staying) from Texas so this really helps!</p>

<p>Yes…incoming freshmen do choose a move in time. An email will be sent to your mybama email account about a week or even a little less than that telling you what day and time the process will begin. Moral of this story…check your mybama email every day! the move in times seemed to fill up very quickly but I had a DD who moved in early for recruitment along with 1600 other girls! You are allowed up to two vehicles on move in day. After you sign up for your time and closer to the “big day” instructions for the move-in process and a placard with you time on it will be sent to you. You put the placard on the dash of the first vehicle and the second goes in the queue right behind. you just tell the people at the road block that the second car belongs to you as well. As you line up your child will go into the dorm and sign the nescessary paperwork, show their ID (they will get this at Bama Bound) and will be given their room key. the process seems to be quite efficient and went very smoothly!</p>

<p>So assuming we are coming for BB on Aug 19th (don’t know that yet for sure but at this point that is the plan) - would you think our move in day would be Aug 19th or 20th. Also since we are planning buying things down there (we are from OOS) would it be best to fly down on Wednesday, spend Thursday buying things and getting organized - and then be ready for move in on either Friday or Saturday. After that are there things from the parents to attend over the weekend? When should we plan on leaving and flying home? Thanks for all the advice.</p>

<p>We moved in a week early due to recruitment…but I seem to remember something like a brunch for parents during move-in the next weekend. The UA Parents Association usually does some thing. There will be lots that your student will be able to do as part of the Week of Welcome activities.
Since you get to pick your move in day you might be able to convince Housing that you can move in on Thursday because of Bama Bound on the 19th…I’d call and ask…it’s worth a try. If it’s “no” then you would most likely need to officially move in on the 20th. I would then plan to leave either mid afternoon the 21st or if you really want to you could stay until the 22nd. We have found with each of our 4 that by the time they get their things in their room and we have made a Target and store run they are more than ready for us to go and for the college student life to begin! I think it’s a great plan to come in on Wednesday, stay in a hotel (and oh by the way if you don’t have that reservation you need to get it soon…very soon!..it will me move in weekend as well as Bid Day for the girls who go through Recruitment and tons of parents come for that Sunday…many arriving on Saturday and spending the night!), go shopping for the things you didn’t bring or ship. I happened to notice when I came for Bid Day (that was te weekend of everyone else moving in as DD moved in early the weekend before) that Target, Wal-mart and Home Depot were out of somethings we needed. I wouldn’t panic…just a thought and if y’all shop on Thursday then most likely they will have time to restock from the previous weekend.<br>
Bottom line…I’d call Housing and chat with them first before buying plane tix. Is this your first. to go to college? Have to tell you just reading all of the incoming questions dredges up some of the nervousness we had this time last year but also I am SO EXCITED for y’all…what an exciting time in your life…you will LOVE Bama!</p>

<p>Yes, this is our first to go to college - and it is an across country move, which is probably the reason you detect a bit of panic in my post… It all seems very overwhelming at the moment. Thanks for all the advice.</p>

<p>The first is always a test run so to speak…after 4 somedays I feel like we could do this in our sleep…the only thing being that all 4 have gone to 4 different colleges from areas of the country…to size…from Ivy …to state school. That being said there has been a little learning curve with each one but the consistent theme throughout has been that they all survived, are flourishing in spite of a few bumps along the way and each has said the fact that we as parents didn’t reflect our “stress” on them helped a lot. So…take a BIG breath and know that you have all of us to help answer questions and be there to support you as y’all begin this wonderful adventure. You are more than welcome to pm me if you like or am happy to give you my cell number if you need to vent/chat. Good luck and welcome to the Alabama Family!</p>

<p>Will returning students have to choose a move in day and time? Son is currently a freshman and did Alabama Action, so moving in with the masses will be a new thing for us.</p>

<p>Montegut: I don’t know the answer but…since most of the honors dorms are freshmen, I’m thinking it won’t be as crazy as we assume.</p>

<p>Returning students do have to select a move-in time. Regardless of the move-in day, there will be a large number of people moving into the dorms. I ended up directing traffic during upperclassmen move-in (Sunday) last year and there were a lot of students moving in with cars full of items for their dorm rooms.</p>

<p>Has the move-in date been released for non-freshman students? I’d like to start looking for plane tickets.</p>

<p>Not yet. I believe it comes to your myBama account.</p>

<p>My DD will be in honors housing and plans on going through sorority recruitment. Will she be able to move into and stay in Riverside West during rush week? All of her roommates are also planning to rush and are from OOS so none has a local place to stay.</p>

<p>GCBMIB: Your daughter and suite mates can move into Riverside West and still rush.</p>

<p>Move in for Recruitment will be the weekend of August 13th…it doesn’t matter what dorm you are living in, you will be able to select a move in time for that weekend. If at all possible I would try to move in on Saturday the 13th…it is just easier and then you have all day Sunday to finish setting up and to get ready for Convocation that evening.</p>

<p>Waudio- it seems overwhelming but actually is so organized move-in is a breeze. Where are you’ll coming from/rooming/major? Welcome and roll tide!</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear she can move in the weekend of Aug 13. Daughter missed sorority preview weekend as she is on a school art trip to NYC so didn’t have the opportunity to learn recruitment details. I’m hoping one of her new roommates will let her know it’s better to sign up for rush before June 30 and give her the heads up on what to expect.</p>