"They got in because they're black"?

<p>Scale of 1 to 10, how much does it annoy you when people say stuff like that^?</p>

<p>11, when sooneone says that it really ****es me off</p>

<p>When Someone says that it really ****es me off *</p>

<p>People who do probably live a very sheltered life and are unduly influenced, likely by other family members.</p>

<ol>
<li>These people feel inadequate compared to others, and try to bring them down to make themselves feel better. They simply can’t accept the fact that there are many very high-qualified minority candidates. I can’t even explain the anger I feel when I hear someone say this. It’s as though they feel like “their spot” was “stolen”…Ughhh.</li>
</ol>

<p>150,000 It’s not just admissions its also special honors and awards where I’m from. People assume that a minority has to win a special honor at least once so things don’t appear suspicious.</p>

<p>Infinity!!! It makes me so angry when someone says that. People are just like “oh you only got into the school because your black”. No, I got in because I was qualified applicant. There is no need to hate, just appreciate.</p>

<p>I used to look at it as a chance to shock people. I used to hide how hard I studied then ace a test or project. It used to rattle the guys that pre-judged me as no competition.</p>

<p>It’s bad when people say it and the applicant is qualified.</p>

<p>However, it’s annoying to see someone with a mediocre SAT (like 2000) with no outstanding ECs get accepted because they’re an URM.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Um there is no way to say that someone got accepted because “they’re an URM”. Colleges do not look at an application, see that the applicant is black/hispanic/native american/pacific islander and say “ACCEPTED”. Just because you may not understand why someone was not accepted does not mean they were accepted based only on race. They may not have great SAT scores (btw 2000 on the SAT is far from mediocre) or “outstanding EC’s” (this is highly subjective), but they may have amazing essays, grades, recommendations, etc that make them someone the college wants at their university. </p>

<p>Maybe they did not have “outstanding EC’s” because they had to work to help with bills or take care of siblings while their parents worked; someone in a different position may not have had those responsibilities and thus had the time and/or resources to participate in “outstanding EC’s”. Applicants can be qualified in many, many different ways.</p>

<p>2000 is not mediocre when only like 10% of test takers get to that level and above.</p>

<p>I agree with buttafly13, not everyone has the same opportunities</p>

<p>When I hear that comment, that person automatically drops way down</p>

<p>Oops didn’t finish… My opinion of them automatically drops. I think such comments are made out of ignorance. I agree with someone who said anyone who would say that is probably trying to justify not being accepted.</p>

<p>My so-called friend made this remark about me behind my back, and I was infuriated. And then I remember that I did well in high school and was rewarded as such. If she -or anyone else- does not understand why I was admitted, that’s not my concern. And for all of the people who say that being a URM was the main factor, what about being a legacy or an athletic recruit? Legacies have just as little influence on their parents college choice as URM’s have on their race. And athletic recruits at some schools get in mostly(if not completely) because of that. Yes, one could argue that they are bringing a talent to the school, but last time I checked, college was an institution of higher education, and is supposed to be based on academics, not how talented one is in a sport. People who get in based on other talents(such as singing, dancing, etc.) are different because they are being admitted to academic programs for those talents (music program, dance major.) So the next time someone says that either ignore them- they’re obviously not worth your time.</p>

<p>One day all this will mean nothing. And I mean not long after college, these issues disappear. Others pop up but it’s not worth it to let these things scar you.</p>

<p>It reflects on what type of parents they have. 'Nuff said.</p>

<p>It used to piss me off and force me to feel that I always had to prove myself. But despite excelling I realized that it didn’t change the bigotry. That’s when I decided to ignore these idiots. Why should I continue to work hard at changing someone else’s prejudice when I am happy with my achievements. So, I just stopped. The bigoted statements no longer bother me and it shouldn’t bother you.</p>

<p>That is why Clarence Thomas has campaigned for the end of affirmative action, so everyone will be accepted on pure merit and be given the respect they are due. </p>

<p>Fauve, please don’t get all political.</p>