Thinking of tranferring next year...

<p>So I am from New Jersey and just finished my first semester of college at Rutgers-New Brunswick. I want to major in Chemistry (maybe minor in Computer Science), and I just learned the Chemistry Department here is on probation and I am iffy about earning my degree here if that is the case. I originally wanted to go to Miami, but I figured I should stay closer to home so I didn't apply; my mind has changed now and I would really like to go, probaly in the Fall of 2014. I hear they have a good Chemistry program (is this true?), plus it is really beautiful and it would be a great experience. One problem is that it is super expensive so I was wondering if they do well with helping you out. My mom's salary is about $60000, including all her overtime, but she also owns a house (whose costs they don't take into account for some reason) and she is by herself raising me and my teenage sister. The salary may not seem too bad but she has to pay a lot of things so when it comes down to it, I wouldn't be able to afford Miami unless they were generous with their aid. Besides that, does anyone have information on what the requirements for transfer students are? I currently have a 3.5 GPA and I am hoping to keep that up, and I am involved in a few extracurriculars so far and will probably do more. Also, what is the housing situation for transfers? Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>Chemistry dept isn’t particularly special, but it is a great school overall. You’re right, it’s a beautiful campus and a wonderful experience. From what I hear transfer scholarships aren’t great, but I’m not sure about transfer need-based scholarships - I’d call admissions/ the office of financial aid and ask if no one on here as more information.</p>

<p>From what I hear a 3.5GPA might be able to get in you as a transfer, but can’t be complete on that, there’s not very much data.</p>

<p>Housing is not guaranteed for transfers but you can try to sign up for it - if not there’s lots of off campus housing available.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>I’m also thinking of transferring from Rutgers! The thing is, though, I actually went to Miami for one semester and couldn’t handle being so far away so I came back home. I’ve now spent 2 semesters at Rutgers and though I do like it, I just feel like I may have made a mistake. I don’t know how hard it would be to transfer back to Miami though, if maybe I once again couldn’t handle it.</p>