Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Sure we can. I’m sure kids want to talk and we OOS folks who never visited campus would like to hear from someone who’s been there.

Congratulations to all who got into Penn State!

2 Likes

Congrats to the Penn State acceptees!!! That’s awesome and such an accomplishment!!!

3 Likes

I think it’s still a good idea to visit the campus at least from outside and get a feel of it unless you’re from west coast.

Hard for us, in CA. It looks like there is no aid for OOS students - could someone pls confirm?

I heard Penn is expensive. Though my D was not invited for the interview, they sent $24K scholarship for 4 years of undergrad which is of no use. I heard they don’t give much aid compared to other colleges. I think @Vicky2019 is the right person for all the information for Penn. If you go through last years thread, I think he mentioned the comparison of SBU and Penn with the entire cost.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I think dates were in Portal although we are expecting a registration link which has come yet.

Yes planning to do that in March.

Yes they do say no aid for BSMD program on their website somewhere. S has full ride and more from UAB EMSAP since he is national merit finalist. But his heart is set on Penn :frowning:

On Upstate Medical:
Director Ripa shared in the info session this week that they would like students to make a decision two weeks after they are offered admission. By the student committing to the program, they are taking up one of five total seats for the program at their assigned UG, so she recommended they be as truthful as they can be, but also as indicated they could withdraw the commit if they really had to.

I suspect students who have no other better-preferred admission by that deadline will commit even if they are waiting on other decisions, and some might withdraw if they get UG or a BSMD they have higher preference for, but I guess they are hoping those already with an admission they favor more than Upstate will give up their Upstate spot to make space for another student.

1 Like

I heard UAB is a good undergrad program if your S likes to live there. My D said she doesn’t want to go to OU or UAB at all. So we didn’t move forward with the application.

My D also got into PMM. What a relief !

11 Likes

My DD is also keen on Penn. She liked few other programs too, but the Penn interview process and her student as well as prof interviews impressed her a tad more than others. We are advising her to wait to hear back from others, especially a couple of regular UGs, make a priority matrix to decide so she can walk us through her thought process.

All said, if she commits to Penn without waiting, so be it. I look up to someone in this forum (from prior years) that has multiple family members in Penn/SKMC and recommends it highly, so will be good with her choice.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when BU SMED decisions come out?

Probably end of March.

1 Like

Congratulations to all who got into Penn State/ Jefferson.

If you are committing to this program, please withdraw from other programs and share your RESULTS+PERSPECTIVES in the results thread.

2 Likes

Does Stony Brook conducts interviews? Has anyone been invited from this group?

Congratulations to all who got into Penn State. I think you will have enough time to commit. Believe they have the open house or something like that next month and highly recommend you attend that even if inconvenient. You can get all your questions answered face to face (or mask to mask) and then decide where you want to go to eventually. The only draw back is you may not have a walk through to the medical school located in Philadelphia, some 3-4 hours drive away. But perhaps you can ask if that can be arranged the following day if you are willing to drive on your own to Philadelphia. I believe there is a bus facility too between Penn State campus and Jefferson campus.

2 Likes

Same time as undergrad decisions, believe March 27th.

1 Like

Got into PMM!!

8 Likes