Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Just wanted to share a line of thought with those going to UAB interview, especially OOS. I-20 has been unpredictable with traffic lately. A 20min trip can easily turn into 1h+, so that might be something to think about when planning where you might stay. IS people might should think about spending the night in Bham on 24th…

Thanks, @elizabeth67809
Looking forward to the visit.

I like UAB announcing all the finalists within a week from the interview.

I heard that Penn/Jefferson usually releases the finalists within 3 weeks after the interview.

AMC -on a rolling basis, if selected, one might know in about 3-4 weeks. If not, just be on the waitlist till all spots are filled.

For those asking repetitive questions about this program or that interview, my suggestion is to check the posts in the last week or two at least. Good possibility that some one else had posted similar queries and responded to by one or more of helpful folks here. Even better you may find more useful and generic stuff than what you are looking for. You can also search the thread with key words to go through selectively from all posts from the beginning.

If you are hard pressed for time, let parents or friends do the leg work and present you with the findings.

Can you clarify what you mean by Early Assurance vs traditional BS/MD? I thought with all the programs you still have to take MCAT and maintain a certain GPA. Is SLU different? This what the website says:
The Saint Louis University Medical Scholars Program offers an exclusive opportunity for first-time freshmen to gain conditional early acceptance to the SLU School of Medicine.

So assumed conditional was based on GPA avg in UG

@sean1111 correct, EAP requires to maintain certain GPA during UG. Also it requires you to take MCAT but doesn’t have to be super-duper score, based on their selection criteria they expect those students do good in MCAT (but there is no cut-off score and in that sense MCAT is just formality). With traditional route, MCAT is must and expected to achieve certain score in order to apply, you may ended up taking GAP year if your profile lacking some key aspects and you need to boost it before applying to med scools.

So EAP logic is this way.

• []If you are successful in UG, you are tied to that EAP school medical school (For EAP/Med-Scholar enrolled students, SLU requires to forfeit their med school seat before you can apply to other med schools) .
    [
    ]If you are unsuccessful in UG, you are being treated just like any UG (oh well. it become traditional).

So our thought process was, if you want to be in good med school, EAP or Traditional route, success in UG is must, then why you want to tie yourself to one medical school of EAP?

Keep in mind all that SLU Med had their LCME accreditation put on probation for a while – it was only removed from the probation list a month or two ago. What does this mean for their quality?

Can someone please tell me what were Union/AMC interview dates in the month of January ?

@Cherax,

You need to look at the reason for probation (I don’t know myself), it need not necessarily mean anything seriously bad. Wayne State program was on probation a while ago, the reason being lack of diversity in its student body. Only after the administration took necessary actions and showed progress it was lifted.
I think SLU has a decent med school, can be compelling if you get a free ride for undergrad or similar, but do your own due diligence and share with others if anything fishy.

"The deficiencies vary, but multiple items highlight concerns about the way the curriculum is managed. For example, the letter cites a failure to link the school’s learning objectives to students’ progress in “developing those competencies that the profession and the public expect of a physician.”

“If it says the student must know how to do a physical exam of the abdomen then the student needs to show us that,” Behrns said.

Recruiting and retaining low-income and first-generation college students were other issues the school faces."

From an SLU news website. But they fixed the 20% of issues they had so hopefully, there shouldn’t be any future problems that affect us;

SLU probation - news item

More details

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/slu-medical-school-put-on-probation-by-accreditation-agency/article_e61e1775-c17e-560c-9175-ef40bea9768e.amp.html

Last year we were concerned about LCME accreditation as well, however school leadership was doing impressive job in informing students and how they were addressing it, there was a whole bunch of info on that under their news area, however that archive is coming as Page not Found. Latest news is probation did lifted as of October’18 and it was achieved ahead of time. SLU should come out stronger as they implemented various improvements plans, so for students expected to attend med school 3-4 years from now, it is actually a very good outcome as they will reap benefits of these improvements.
Baylor and George Washington went through probation in recent years.

@bsmdseeker2019 Union/AMC interview dates are every Monday and Friday until 3/11.

@Undecided3494

Does AMC notify via email for rejections? We submitted the AMC/Union supplement to AMC 12/20, and haven’t heard since.

@sunitacarmen Honestly I don’t really know, but my acceptance and interview notification came through an email so I would think the rejections would also be sent through email. Someone on this thread said that they talked to the AMC people and they said they were still processing the applications. Personally I got an interview notice 5 days after submitting the interview.

@sunitacarmen I think someone on this thread said they got an email of rejection. AMC is processing applications as fast as they can and changes based on when people submit. My supplement was also due on 12/20 but I submitted on the 16th. I got my interview request on the 18th. I applied RPI/AMC so it may be different but there is no worry if you haven’t received a response yet.

@glossylamp When is your RPI/AMC interview ?

Anyone with Union/AMC interview in February?

Does Penn State BSMD value legacy?

@bsmd23
NO

@NoviceDad
Ok I was just wondering because I know SKMC does value legacy.