Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Just got email to schedule UIC GPPA Med interview…??

@sajju786 congrats being instate that is your best bet among all schools.

@PPofEngrDr …thanks yes my son already got UIC undergrad full tuition scholarship too…

@Cherax it is obvious that those 890 physicians are from more than one medical school, but same payer. Just like any profession quality and experience matters. Ofc there is a difference in Dr quality from WashU vs Caribbean. It is hard to believe that payer are paying same starting salary amount to MD graduate from those 2 schools.

@PPofEngrDr @srk2017 @rk2017 @GoldenRock @NoviceDad and others…

Since we are discussing the cost and keeping MD cost to the lowest possible, I have a hypothetical question. Let’s say one gets full tuition from an 8-year program (full tuition for 4 years of UG), and no aid from 7 years accelerated program. Assuming both are OOS, which one is a better option? (I am sure you will take early earning potential with 7 yrs option!)

To add more complexity, what if the 7 years program is from one of the prestigious school!

Thoughts?

@sajju786 Congratulations!

@GoldenStateDad

See my post #1759

@NoviceDad

1759 makes senses. However, in my hypothesis, it's 1 yr instead of 1.7 yrs also considering that it's a comparison between 8 years with UG paid-off versus 7 years with no aid.

Does UPitt not have any communication if you get rejected? Any know when the last date for when they sound out the portal? From last year’s stats it seemed like a lot of people got it in Sept and Oct, but the deadline for the program was due around November 1 so I am not sure.

sorry send*

@GoldenStateDad,

I still need to go back and refer to the post number indicated by @NoviceDad, so kind of shooting in the dark :slight_smile:
Well, you can cross that bridge of questioning when you get there :).

The major deciding factor is, are the two options you have to decide between, comparable in reputation? If so, go with the 8 year program even if you have to spend extra year. Also you need to factor in your family circumstances, such as for some one with family based in silicon valley area finances may not be big deal versus some one with not so solid base.

Private Med school based programs like WashU, NU, BU, PLME don’t give any merit awards (only need based) for undergrad. However we routinely come across students (and parents) who choose them even over undergrad full ride 7 year programs (not 8 year, mostly instate) and over schools like Stanford, Yale and MIT traditional routes.

Also, don’t jump ahead to conclusions that since one got a full ride for undergrad, he or she is also likely to get into the med program there.

@GoldenStateDad
1.7 years was based on expected value of various probabilities of gap year.

If you DM me with more details as to what you are comparing, I can provide more refined analysis.

@PPofEngrDr,

To your point, this international ranking/ratings outfit, a reputed one, does take into account Employer Reputation as one of the criteria, if anyone interested in checking it out. You may want to click on the Rankings Indicators tab and also filter by the country.

As I said earlier, one can cross the bridge about choices after getting there first. Right now stay focused on one thing at a time. Eventually it mostly depends on the individual and how well he or she makes use of the opportunities available around to the best of their abilities. Any accredited med school is a good starting point in one’s long career.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2018/medicine

@sajju786 Congratulations!!! for UIC GPPA.

Has anyone applied to the FAU combined program? My S is looking at that, and would like to get some more insight about the program

Just got an interview invite for Sophie Davis. Can someone help with the kind of questions asked and how to prepare?

@bsmddad72,

You want to PM @Metsfan7860 who is in the program and ask? (He did offer to help in the past).
He may dissuade you to pursue this program though, since he doesn’t seem to like it. Good luck!

Great point @rk2017 and @NoviceDad
My D got full ride in honor college but rejected pre-interview for BSMD. And they send letter weekly trying to convince her to take their UG offer. You guys are so helpful to us and other parents. Thanks so much!

@Kitty1002,

Sorry to hear that, but congratulations at the same time. She must be having a stellar record to get full ride for honors college, which may not be a bad option at all. Guess you have plenty of time to decide though.

How many applicants are accepted to the NJIT honors college? Does anyone have insight on this?