Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Thanks @GoldenStateDad and @whitecane

@GoldenStateDad - I won’t base my decision on 7 years vs 8 years. Current generation will probably live to be 90+ and will work into their 70s. Counting one year of additional income is silly for me :slight_smile: You get one chance to get full college experience and I don’t see a need to rush. If you get full scholarships from good UG program is worth considering if that school has good premed track record. Even with UG, some kids opt for Ivies over top 20 schools (like Vandy, Washu) with full scholarships.

@rk2017 - I consider HPME and PITT as top 2, followed by Brown, REMS, and BU. I heard good things about Case in the past but during my son’s cycle I heard few -ve things.

Again it comes down to what kids want and each family’s financial situation. I wouldn’t stretch family finances to pay full price at the private combined programs. I am also against 6 year program but my nephew applied this year to UMKC and got interview.

My son said he would have considered HPME over Vandy scholarship but he didn’t get the interview so we avoided that tough situation

@Kitty1002 , sorry to hear, My DD also got full ride via NJIT honors, but did not hear anything about forwarding to NJMS. How did you know yours is rejected? did they send you a email saying that?

Hey guys, did any of you get an invite for the Sophie Davis interview? If you did, do you mind telling me when you submitted your application?

I submitted mine on the deadline (Jan 8.), but I called them to check if my application is complete and they told me that it is complete. So, assuming everything is complete and submitted on Jan 8, when would I or anyone who submitted on Jan 8 hear back from them for an interview?

Please answer. Thanks guys!

@GoldenStateDad a typical OOS UG would cost ~50K / year. Based on that assumption,
8 year Program- 4 year free UG will save you ~200K upfront that you can easily convert into more by the time of 8 years over (sorta remember someone said something similar last year on similar line).
7 year program - assuming if you are not paying everything from pocket that means you are not just paying UG cost, but also borrowed cost. In return you may save a year (1.7 from @NoviceDad value proposition). Assumption is UG are at par and med schools are also at par. If you really wants to boil down to finance, just deep down further about borrowing cost vs extra year of income vs how much savings can be increased in next 4 years. I suspect that benefit of one year become negligible.

Thinking on line of having a quality and prestigious med school, cost analysis become irrelevant as its not easy to get into prestigious med school irrespective of admission route and the opportunity you have to be a quality Dr.
If I flipped the scenario 8 year prestigious vs 7 year non-prestigious, I would go with 8 year scenario as that prepares you to be better Dr. So my thoughts are quality always first, finance secondary and that is pretty much how most folks decide once every decisions are known.

@srk2017,

Fair enough, depends on every individual’s and family’s perspective and conditions.

Just FYI, regarding your personal ratings order (and any US News fans here, which is flawed IMO) both PLME and REMS follow BU’s and not the other way around. That too both tied with a dozen other institutions.
Not to mention many other reputed outfits’ (like the one I shared earlier today above) it is consistent with that view and the gap seems to widen even further based on their metrics in each of the criteria.

Besides, both of them as well as PITT are highly unrealistic to aim for, one is not favorable for ORMs and the other has an intake of 10 and PITT has sky high expectations. Perhaps it is easier to get into Stanford med school through regular route than to PITT in this route.

Thank you @PPofEngrDr @srk2017 @rk2017 @NoviceDad

I have seen high percentage of BS/MD kids opted to gap between BS and MD in 7-year program. The reason is quite simple – young students do NOT want to rush through their golden years with risk of burnt-out; they want to experience more: research, volunteering, study abroad, travelling, internships,etc. As parents, we need to respect that.

@dadofd
Interesting to know that 7 years programs allow the students to take a gap year. How does that work? Do they take a break after 3rd year before moving to med school (4th year?).

did you get an invite through email or mail?

@GoldenStateDad Yes. Many programs allow 7 or 8 year option, while in the programs which do not have those options or students want to graduate from UG in 3 years, students may defer one year after being formally accepted into program medical schools.

@sajju786 Congratulations!!! for UIC GPPA

Congratulations @bsmddad72

@Kitty1002
Rejections are part of this process.
Don’t let that affect you.
As we say BS/MD admissions are like a roller-coaster ride. Some days up and some days down.

@GoldenStateDad

How you arrive at a decision to select which school depends solely on you, your child and rest of the family.

Financial analysis is one part. But if you are doing financial analysis do that (don’t let other factors interfere with financial analysis). X university costs $Y more in direct costs and $Z in indirect costs against a potential benefit of 1 extra year of earnings 10 years down the line.

Do your own analysis of other factors separately e.g. location; feel on undergrad univ.; prestige; travel logistics; presence or absence of relatives/ friends and your own unique criteria.

We had options of 7-year without aid (HPME) vs 8-yr with UG aid (Stonybrook).
For me their residency matches were impressive and my doctor friends had only high things to say about both med schools.
My D decided on HPME.

Thanks, @NoviceDad

I started that discussion when I noticed folks stating that an in-state option that one of the students received is the best one given the low-cost. As I mentioned, the discussion was supposed to be a hypothetical and intellectual discussion that most of the folks might be interested in. It’s not something that I need to worry about, at least for the next 2-4 weeks.

Thanks again for all the great insights. I learn a lot from all these discussions.

Rutgers/NJMS sent out interview information just now. Good luck to everyone flying out for the interviews!

Thanks @NoviceDad

@ekballerbsmd2019 Was the interview information from NJMS or from Rutgers?
Did it specify interview date?

Congratulations to everyone who got interview notifications

Looks like NJMS sends interview notifications in a rolling manner
I applied to 2 feeder colleges for NJMS. Does this mean that both colleges have to forward the application to NJMS in order for them to review the application and decide whether to send the interview notifications? Any information is appreciated.