Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Does anyone know what happened to the University of Houston 3+4 program? It seems that the program has been removed from the website and the honors biomedical application deadline has been pushed back 3 months.

I have tried calling and emailing but no luck. Would prefer not to spend time on the application if it got removed.

Question on Hofstra program. I tried to find details from their web site and other places but not clear.

Can anyone share stats on number of applicants and seats offered in BS+MD?

After some more searching found this post by @GreenPoison on Hoftra numbers

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21385000/#Comment_21385000

Official Hofstra Numbers:

600 Applicants

60 Interviewed

25 Accepted

5 Waitlisted

Yep^^^^. Just a reminder to all applicants now and in the future- pretty much all the information you need about BSMD programs has already been discussed in previous year threads- it’s all about searching for it !

So apparently Sophie-Davis and Brooklyn are both NY (Brooklyn is NJ+CT+NY) only? Is this new as of this year?

@Cherax

Sophie Davis has always been that way. The writing was on the wall for Brooklyn

Has the Lehigh and UMiami accelerated BS/MD program ended? I get broken links and I do not see anywhere on their website. Does any one have a list of current active BS/MD program (with State residency restrictions, I am in NJ). Most of the list on the internet has broken link or the program no longer exists.

@VikasP

1. Yes, Lehigh and UMiami no longer has the BS/MD program.
  2. Use last year threads or any available lists, narrow down your choices and then go to individual college web site to confirm and understand to make the final list.

Thank you so much for your response and suggestions. That is what I started doing. Can you or anyone also confirm which of NY based Universities BS/MD program is specific to NY residents only. So far I confirmed, Brooklyn College program is for NY residents only and Hofstra is open to all. Others are not so clear. It seems all NJ based schools have no restriction on state residency. What about StonyBrook, CUNY, SUNY, CCYN or any other NY based schools? Thanks a lot in advance.

Do u mind sharing her profile ?

I have 1480 sat (680 and 800 in math) and 34 act.
Should I send both or just act.
I have extensive scirehce research experience and debate club since freshmen year . Do U think that will help my application ?

@diaash A 1480 corresponds to a high 33 ACT. I don’t think it makes that much of a difference to only send one or the other as these scores are very close to each other. In fact, I believe it will be confirming to the admissions officers that you are performing consistently if you send both!

Yes, those extracurricular will benefit your application.

@diaash,

A 1480 is somewhat on lower end if you are an ORM candidate, typical SAT scores of accepted students are in the ~1550 range. Do you think you can take another shot in October to raise it higher?
34 ACT is alright, though 35/36 is more desirable.

If you meant to ask if your extensive research and other experiences can enhance or compensate for your standardized scores, perhaps and unfortunately no in most programs. They will be looked at more closely and can add weight after you pass through their initial filters successfully. Good Luck!

I don’t know about Stonybrook but I’ve heard that they don’t accept the ACT

Thank you for your feedback .
Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to take it another time between getting my project ready for regeneron , essays for colleges and senior year aps. Which schools on the northeast do I think I might have better chance getting in .

In addition I am a debate club captain and dance team captain and extensive volunteering hours.
Have been working really hard since 9th grade in building my application. Unfortunately, my test scores didn’t come as aspected inspite of trying very hard.

@diash,

Don’t worry too much on perfection in everything. Apply for a handful and see what happens. I know first hand that BU does look deeper than just cutoffs (such as gpa > 3.9 uw, SAT >= 1550 and >= 35 ACT) before filtering out the applications as many of these programs do. But also it is one of the most applied to programs with 2000+ applicants in the latest cycle, with > 1000+ with near perfect scores. You may still want to give it a shot. I hope other programs follow similar holistic reviews, but most don’t.

To @Cherax point above, I think lately StonyBrook program started accepting ACT as well. If you have close to perfect gpa, you may want to apply to one of the AMC programs. Refer to the official results thread of 2018 for more insights shared there.

Also I recommend Penn State/Jefferson considering your research exposure. Spend enough time on your essays highlighting your achievements and why you think you are a right fit for medicine and their program(s) and what made you make up your mind so early.

I just happened to look up the Stony Brook’s program since I am not that familiar with it and to also ascertain the acceptance of ACT. Below is the link for the same, but the brief extract from the page here confirms the ACT acceptance:

"Successful applicants (the middle 50th percentile ranges) have historically had
1490-1590 SAT (Critical Reading + Math) composites*
98-99 high school GPAs

*ACT exam scores may now be considered in lieu of SAT scores"

https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/wise/college/scholars.php

This makes this program fall into the typical framework of most of these programs. I believe the GPA referred above is unweighted in which case they are saying, if you don’t have a 4.0 gpa, better luck some where else.

https://pages.collegeboard.org/how-to-convert-gpa-4.0-scale

Likewise, the lower end of the SAT scores could be representing URM, possibly legacy and other classifications, so ideally you should consider the mid point which is 1540.

Some of these web sites are really old and they don’t update the statistics for years. You can get an idea of how old the information by right clicking on the page (in Chrome) and choosing “View Page Source” which displays the page in html format, which may sometimes reveal info such as the page creation or last update time frames.

From AMC’s three feeder schools, I just read that you can only apply through one feeder schools. Am I understanding this right ? Can someone validate this for me