Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@merlinmagic05 It is nice to have Chemistry SAT score ( along with Math and Biology SAT scores ) but NOT necessary unless you plan to apply where it is required. You have great scores here. My DD did not take Chem SAT and still got admissions into a few BS/MD programs. She did not apply to neither Northwestern nor BU BS/MD program.

What are my chances of getting into BS MD

GPA - 3.95 (UW), 4.33 (W)

AP’s with 5 - Biology , chem, psychology, Calc BC

AP’s wth 4 - Calc AB, Physics 1

Senior Year AP’s - APES, Physics 2 , Stat

SAT - 1560 ( Math - 800, RW - 760)
PSAT - 1500
SAT Subject - Math 800; Chem 800

Volunteer - 120 hours in Nursing Home

No EC activities, No medically related activities, No Awards, No research experience. In general I am good at writing essays and I am working on personal statement and why medicine essays.

Since I don’t have any EC,s/awards/research, are there any reach bs/md for my profile

**********I am a student who moved from a different country last year 2017- so I did not do my 9th and 10th grade in the US

Ethnicity: Asian Female

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

Junior- 94.28 on 100 (USA)
Sophomore- GPA - 9.8 on 10 (not USA)
Freshman GPA - 9.6 on 10 (not USA)
Rank N/A

Senior yr APs- AP Calc AB and AP Chem
Junior AP -AP Bio: score - 3; to compensate it I took a college level course in my local community college and received an A = GPA 4.00

STANDARDIZED TEST SCORES

SAT: 1330 ( 620 RW 710 M) ( I am really worried about this. I took this in August)
SAT sub: Bio - 700 Math2: 610 ( worried about this too ) Retaking these along with chem sat in October.

Volunteering & Service activities-787 hours (hospital, soup kitchen, helping homeless etc)
Research Experience- 400 hrs ( got to observe IVF procedures etc and Bioinformatics research)

LEADERSHIP ACTIVITIES
Research Team Leader
Medical Club -Founder and President- Freshman to current
Hope for Homeless Club- Founder and President- Freshmen and Sophomore

DOCTOR SHADOWING EXPERIENCE Total Hours -776 hrs (various depts. over my whole HS career)

CLUB ACTIVITIES

Medical Club - Founder and President - Freshmen to current
Project Green Junior to current
Hands Around the World- Junior year
Hope for Homeless Club -Founder and President Freshmen to Sophomore
Art Club -Senior yr
Chess Club- Senior year

PARTICIPATION IN THE ARTS

Dance
→ Trained in Indian Classical Dance for 5 years
→ Performed in prestigious dance festivals like the “Indian Dance Festival”
→ Lead Dancer at the World Chess Championship Inaugural function
→ Perform at various religious festivals and events at temples to date.

Painting/Portraiture
→ Winner in the Camel Art Contest at the primary level
→ various artworks selected for the school magazine (freshman and sophomore)
→ Run an Art website

Awards
→ Winner in the Camel Art Contest at the primary level
Reciting the Bhagavad Gita (Hindu Scripture including Vedas and Upanishads)
→ Secured 3rd place in School Level Competition
→ Secured 1st place in School Level Competition
→ Inter School cultural competition - won the 3rd place in for “Dumb Charades”
→ Qualified the City final competition conducted by “Times of India”, a leading English Newspaper in India.

OTHER MENTIONS
→ Trained in Yoga for 3 years
→ Trained in Chess for 2 years
Hobbies- Painting, Yoga, Chess, Dance, cooking, Learning new languages in my own,(currently Spanish and French)

Also, I am going to be raising awareness about Lead poisoning because that is a very prevalent issue in my area. ( during my Senior year)

BSMD PROGRAMS I MIGHT BE APPLYING TO

I don’t know If I will apply to these many programs but should I?

Brooklyn College City University of New York/SUNY Downstate Medical
Hofstra University/LIJ School of Medicine, Hofstra University
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute/Albany Medical College
Siena College/Albany Medical College
Siena College/SUNY Upstate Medical University
Sophie Davis Biomedical Education/CUNY School of Medicine
St. Bonaventure University/George Washington University School of Medicine
St. Bonaventure University/SUNY Upstate Medical University
St. Lawrence University/SUNY Upstate Medical University
Stony Brook University/Stony Brook University School of Medicine
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry/SUNY Upstate Medical University
SUNY Fredonia/SUNY Upstate Medical University
SUNY Geneseo/SUNY Upstate Medical University
Union College/Albany Medical College
University of Rochester/University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Case Western
St. Louis University
The George Washington
The College of New Jersey
Boston University – Liberal Arts and Medicine Education Program
Washington University in St. Louis – University Scholar Program in Medicine
Rice University / Baylor College of Medicine
University of Connecticut BS/MD Program (preference to Connecticut residents)
Penn State University / Jefferson Medical College (preference to Pennsylvania residents)
Might also apply to PLME and HPME

BASICALLY, I AM WORRIED ABOUT MY STANDARDIZED TEST SCORES. I DON’T EVEN KNOW IF I HAVE A CHANCE. PLEASE TELL ME IF I AT LEAST HAVE A CHANCE I AM SO WORRIED THAT ALL THIS HARD WORK IS GOING TO GO WASTE

@critstinayang Being an ORM, your competition is other ORMs with near perfect test scores, 4.0 UW GPA with similar ECs, Currently your chances are extremely slim. Please improve your test scores and UW GPA. The BS/MD process is a crapshoot. You can still apply but keep your expectations low. Please keep open the traditional UG route to Medical school. My DD is a sophomore in college.

@pkx2017 Apply to few BS/MD programs and few regular UG programs. No one can predict the outcome. OU and Tulsa programs are not critical about shadow/medical related activities.

@critstinayang It is understandable that it takes time to get used a new country, new system etc., So don’t push or harsh on yourself. Just apply to few BS/MD programs but apply to many regular programs which meets most of your needs and where you will enjoy and make a fresh start.

@pkx2017 realistically none… without any clinical or research it’s highly unlikely you’ll be accepted

@critstinayang same as above, no research and subpar test scores (at least compared to other Asian female applicants)

Does anyone know how Hofstra’s 4+4 letter of rec system work? Should we send rec letters with the initial app or with the supplemental app

@pkx2017
Your GPA/standard score(s) are excellent. Your volunteer experience in nursing home can be broadly considered as medical-related activities, so make sure to elaborate that experience to your ‘why medicine’ essay. GL

@critstinayang
Your EC/medical-related activities are excellent, but your SAT score is really low for a typical BS/MD program applicant. You may consider taking regular SAT again in October (instead of SAT subject) to improve it to at least 1,450+ to have a fighting chance being interviewed. Keep in mind, most of the applicants have similar EC/medical-related activities but also 1500+ in SAT.

@shm1324
In the past, the LORs were submitted through Common App via Hofstra Undergraduate application. Later, you only need to submit the supplementary essay to Hofstra 4+4 program if you pass the initial screening but no need of LORs again.

@GoldenRock what kind of regular programs do you think I have a chance?

@biomeds so if I don’t improve my Sat is there absolutely no chance?

Are there any low tier BSMD programs that I might at least have a chance

Would I still have to take the sub tests then? I am really worried. The college process is giving me anxiety.

@GreenPoison I do have research experience- 400 hours

@critstinayang,

There are no “low tier” BS/MD programs. They are all super competitive. All of them don’t require SAT subject tests, so I recommend focusing on SAT. I would have recommended trying out ACT also if it suits you better, but at this time you don’t have enough time to train for a new test pattern. You may also want to consider exploring BS/DO programs.

As has been reiterated multiple times on this forum, majority of people who go to medicine do so through traditional route. So don’t stress too much. Apply for a few and see what happens. Don’t worry that all your effort will be wasted if it doesn’t work out. It should have already inculcated certain work ethic, exposure and frame of mind and should help you going forward no matter which route you may end up taking.

For traditional route, choose a university where there is not much grade deflation and not necessarily for reputation in academics and research. Try talking to your high school counselors and fellow students to get some idea.

@critstinayang if you can get the test scores up in oct you might have a shot. However, how is it possible that you have done clubs and have leadership positions since 9th grade if you switched schools in the middle?

hello im a senior applying to many of these bsmd programs and the applications itself is very confusing. for instance, am i only allowed to apply to one undergrad campus if the med school for many are the same? for instance, villanova and drexel university have a bs/md program that is affiliated to drexel med school. would i be only allowed to apply to one of them since essentially the same med school views the application? or does it not matter? thank you! any help would be very much appreicated

@critstinayang Here is the latest data from Temple BS/MD program from 2018 cycle.
Applicant Academic Profiles for 2018
329 Total Applications
40 invited to interview
11 accepted as Health Scholars
Total Applicants (n = 329)

Average SAT Reading: 710
Average SAT Math: 760
Average SAT Combined: 1470
Average ACT: 34
Average GPA: 3.93

Accepted Health Scholars (n = 11)

Average SAT Reading: 750
Average SAT Math: 780
Average SAT Combined: 1510 ( I think it is typo since 750+780 = 1530 )
Average ACT: 34
Average GPA: 4.0

Please be realistic with your list. Where did you do your 9th and 10th grades ? In India ?