Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@diaash, you dont have to get certified to work in EMT… you can be a cadet…One more thing, you dont need to be 18 to get certified…

@Mahikesh Your DD has excellent stats and very impressive ECs. She should be an excellent applicant for mid tier BS/MD programs. She should apply to all BS/MD programs where her school’s alumni were selected in the past. Has she taken any AP classes in school or studied on her own ?
Her senior class size of 35 is really small for a public school in NJ ? Her school counselor and teachers should be able to guide where to apply.

@diaash Both Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and NJMS are now under one umbrella. They do admit out-of-state students. You can be a volunteer in your local EMS department during high school.

@grtd2010, she is studies in an Academy.where they select from many high schools from couple of counties… Instead of AP, they have college courses in local community college where they complete 64 college credits to get junior degree while graduating high school…

the only concern is the SAT, which she took only once and didnt plan it well…

@Mahikesh Yes, I am aware of several health and medical academies in NJ counties. We know
students who attended one of these academies. They had only a few (something like 3 or 4) AP classes available during high school.

Is Temple an early assurance program, or it is like SLU? It says “The Pre-Med Health Scholar Program provides provisional, not guaranteed, acceptance to LKSOM”, However, there is conflicting information elsewhere on their site and it’s little confusing.

@RedMan108 Please go to the Temple PPHS website and make your own conclusion. You have to apply to Medical School after meeting all the requirements of linkage during junior year. Medical school will let you know their decision before the end of the junior year. You have to meet minimum MCAT, minimum GPA, minimum grade requirement as per the linkage. You can get out of the linkage agreement, then you are free to apply to Temple and other Medical Schools. You loose your conditional seat at Medical School and compete with general population.

@RedMan108 Yes, there is no iron-clad guarantee as per linkage agreement between BS and MD ( LKSOM). We had been told during our interview session that they had 100% matriculation rate to MD for all those who have met all the conditions of linkage agreement. If some one wants to pursue MD/PhD or wants to apply to other Medical Schools, one have to get out of the linkage agreement and loose the conditional seat. One can still apply to Temple as a general applicant (and other Medical Schools) after getting out of the linkage agreement.

@grtd2010 there is no AP classes per se… they have to do college level courses. what do you think about SAT score? will the application will be considered for the programs?

@Mahikesh The BS/MD process is very unpredictable and no one can really chance anyone. My 2 cents, your DD has very good chance of getting a few interviews. Please apply at least to BS/MD programs in NJ, PA, NY and MA areas.

@Mahikesh Are those 64 credits (from community college) transferable to a BS/MD program? My DD had dual college credits from Rutgers university in high school. Some of those credits have been transferred to Temple BS/MD program.

@grtd2010 Thank you… will do…

right now she is applying for

Pitt
BU
Rutgers
TCNJ
Rochester
vcu
temple
penn
njit
drexel
rpi
umkc

Do you have any other recommendation?

Brown PLME and Northwestern HPME are reaches for everyone but her extracurrculars are pretty strong so she may want to give them a chance

@8thgradekid, thanks for the input.

@grtd2010 In NJ, it is state mandate that they need to give two years credit in state schools if they choose to take it. i am sure atleast half of credit should be able to apply for BS/MD program.

For other Non NJ or state colleges, based on data provided by school, on an average kids are getting 30+ credits…

@Mahikesh 30 credits seems about right. My DD has about 60+ credits transferred between dual Rutgers credits, Summer College classes credits and AP course credits. She still has to take required core and elective credits related to two majors.

@grtd2010 With my D Stats do you think there isa chance at Temple?

tx

@mahikesh Are you a PA resident? I may be wrong, but I thought that Temple has a strong preferance for in-state. On the other hand, Drexel doesn’t have a preferance.

@Mahikesh She seems to have stats and ECs. Has anyone been selected from her school in prior years? It helps if they know about the school and any prior candidates selected from that school.

Temple PPHS 2018 cycle
Successful candidates
Accepted Health Scholars (n = 11)
Average SAT Reading: 750
Average SAT Math: 780
Average SAT Combined: 1510 ( I think it is a typo since 750+780 = 1530 )
Average ACT: 34
Average GPA: 4.0

@gallentjill in temple website, they mentioned that they dont discriminate resident and non resident

@Mahikesh Temple does not discriminate against non-residents- A recent PPHS batch has 2 NJ, 1 CA resident, may be 1 PA resident. I think all these are Indians.