Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@cy2019bsmd I didn’t publish or anything but I interned at the NIH over the summer and did some research work, if that counts.

@cy2019bsmd Yes, D has been doing research for 2 years. Her PI project was funded by NIH and will be Publishing by the mid of 2019 if that made any difference.

Thanks appreciate all…

My son did research for 2 yrs too…

All interview recipients, please be careful what you post in public forum that can easily identify you before interview and commitment.
Once you have made up your mind and committed to a school, please post every details you feel comfortable. It is better to be careful then sorry later.

Is there mcat req for U Pitt program

I don’t know if this thread is for the BWH Stars program, but did anybody apply and get a decision for the STARS program?

I am correct about PITT’s preference for NIH funded research experience. Congrats to all those who received interviews.

@CoolMom10 As a medical school CNU seems to be OK, students are getting good USMLE test scores, but sjnce it’s just a health university (medicine and pharmacy) you don’t get real undergraduate experiences. I doubt they have any research experiences.

Its mainly for those who are too afraid to go thru traditional path. I would rather take one or two gap years than go to CNU BSMD program.

My daughter also received the invite for Pitt interview today. She did a research internship one summer.

For those who are finalists for CWRU PPSP, could someone let me know what the interview dates are? This is because D is an alternate and she wants to keep those dates open just in case. Thank you so much in advance for the information!

@whitecane…UPitt interviews are traditional one with faculty and one with medical student.

@srk2017, thank you for your input and thoughts.

@sajju786 , @bamd , @whitecane , @mk1901 , @trustybsms - Congratulations!!

my DS received an invite for interview at UPitt as well. it was a great surprise. received it in the middle of temple interview day.

@dimedp - CWRU interview is 3/21-22.

anyone here have some insight into Temple’s PPHS program. seems pretty good. people in charge appear to be very supportive and pleasant. they have reasonable requirements (GPA, MCAT). but very small matriculation history (3-8 in the past several years). just curious as to why this may be the case.

@sajju786 just wondering if you ended up withdrawing from CNU as mentioned in your post earlier? Thanks.

@neurochic Just wondering of you accepted your offer to CNU? Thanks.

@Krupa2019 - according to website, MCAT is not normally required.

https://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/programs/guaranteed-admissions-program

“Students are not required to take the MCAT. However, taking the MCAT is required if applicants choose to apply to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine’s MD/PhD program.”

@srk2017,

I am sure there were enough kids in previous cycles too associated with NIH research in some shape or form, but never got invited even for interviews. It seems they changed the criteria for selections. Possibly a new director or dean of admissions or a senior advisor or someone similar on their admissions committee?

And/Or they may have decided to increase the intake into the program from this year onwards. As I raised a few times earlier, special programs don’t serve meaningful purpose without a critical mass of students it is serving. We will know soon.

If so, hopefully other programs like WashU and Baylor will follow suit.

UPitt:

Congratulations to all who have gotten interview invites.

Last year about 40 kids were called for interviews for 8-10 offers.

This year, about 7-8 folks in this forum have received an invite.

This means -

• either more folks have been comfortable sharing their interview invites info.
  • as @rk2017 said, UPitt may have a new Director or changed their intake or criteria or something else.

If something has changed, please confirm with UPitt if their interview formats has changed.

However, UPitt’s out-of-State preference continues. It’s preference for NIH level research remains.

Question to all who have received invites - do you have full SAT /ACT scores?