Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@CoolMom10 …yes we withdrew long time ago from CNU, but they keep sending us to join…we got invite again this week…??

Thank you @rk2017 and @NoviceDad

@NoviceDad …Upitt in the interview invite tells you the interview format…one with the director/faculty member and another with medical student 1/2hr each…
I guess research is important for UPitt as most of those who got invites have done extensive research…

@sajju786

Sounds like telemarketer then medical school.

@NoviceDad @rk2017 thank you for your responses! And @NoviceDad that seems like a perfect explanation as to why there was an increase in student population. And no, i havent heard anything to the contrary, was simply asking because it is one of the largest programs i have seen

Also got UPitt invite!!! Very excited. What has everyone been doing to prepare for their interviews?

Does anyone know anything about Seton Hall 7 year MD program? Its 4 year UG & 3 year MD program.My D got the acceptance, the don’t have a formal interview until after the 4 year undergraduate. We are debating between this or LECOM or Nova . Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

@sajju786
UPitt: This means it is the same format as last year.

@Dreamingteen3221 @mywish4u
You are welcome

@dd0106

You may want to refer to my post # 3510 and # 3512 earlier on LECOM vs NOVA

I am not aware of Seton Hill program but 3 year MD seems unconventional.
There are VERY FEW 3-year MD programs and the ones that are there are focused on family medicine.

Its Seton hall in new Jersey. Its their first batch

UPitt
Looks like we are having a “banner” year: 8 folks have shared their invite results.

Congratulations -

@sajju786
@bamd
@whitecane
@trustybsms
@OldSchoolMD
@mk1901
@dimedp
@HPMEhopeful

@redcloud17 @MaMaTEN Did you hear back from Caldwell on your application being forwarded to NJMS?

@dd0106
Sorry, I meant Seton Hall (not Hill). I am not aware of Seton Hall program.

@dd0106,

Seton Hall med program has a decent name. Just check how long the program has been around. You can refer to @grtd2010 's post few days ago about all the accredited programs in US and what is its current accreditation status. Also try to check the matching of their students to residencies, i.e. what is the success rate.

What beats me why the undergrad 4 years and med school portion 3 years? Is there a lot of overlap between undergrad and med school courses in the 4 th year? Where my D studies, they can start taking courses like Bio Chem at the med school from the 3 rd (and final) year of undergrad itself.

What does it mean that the interview is guaranteed? So some of the folks can be filtered off at the interview level? If so on what criteria? Then it doesn’t appear to be a genuine guaranteed program. You need to find all this before committing. Don’t hesitate to talk to the program director or administrator or whoever, taking a personal appointment if required.

@Dreamingteen3221,

Yes, as you said Jefferson has a big incoming class every year, both traditional and direct combined, upwards of 250 I think and it may even grow further with the latest developments.
It is also one of the most applied to MD programs in the country. Also great location. Also as I understand from @NoviceDad 's previous observations they seem to have great match results to residencies.
When you go for orientation or similar stuff there, find out from the current students how they handle such big student body, faculty student ratio, availability of facilities etc. If you get multiple admissions, this may be one of the factors you may have to consider closely.

@NoviceDad @rk2017 @dd0106 - I just found out about this program two weeks ago. It’s brand new. I think it’s first class was 2018.

http://www.shu.edu/academics/ba-bs-md.cfm

http://www.shu.edu/academics/requirements-for-admission-to-the-4-3-program.cfm

“.,.For this reason, the joint-degree program cannot guarantee you admission to the SOM.”

http://www.shu.edu/medicine/news/introducing-the-med-school-class-of-2022.cfm

What’s interesting and I’m not sure exactly how it would play out, but it states that residency would be guaranteed after graduating medical school within their health system as long as the specialty residency existed.

@OldSchoolMD,

Yes, the program may be just starting but the SOM has been in existence for a while and has good reputation, right? Actually there were talks about starting this program when my D was in junior year of high school few years ago and I was hoping it would start in time for her, which never happened. On hindsight she wouldn’t have gone for it even if it did, since she got into the program she most wanted. It appears this program is not guaranteed from the information, even if all their requirements are met? That’s what @dd0106 needs to find out. And also why the med school is only 3 yrs.

@OldSchoolMD DD is a sophomore as a Temple PPHS and doing very well. What did they say at interview about matriculation to LKSOM ? What is your concern ? MCAT requirements are minimum total 508 and each section minimum 126. Minimum any grade B- with minimum sGPA 3.6 and minimum Cumulative GPA 3.6. This seems to be higher than PSU/Jefferson. You get two chances to take MCAT to meet these requirements.

[QUOTE=""]
This means - - either more folks have been comfortable sharing their interview invites info.

[/QUOTE]

@NoviceDad,

Another factor we could add to the list is may be reduced competition due to the combination of fewer applicants compared to the Y2K boomers last year :slight_smile: and more and more folks shying away from applying to the UPitt program bcoz of consistently discouraging signs about the possibility of getting into it year after year.

I don’t think there was any paucity of NIH exposured kids in the past 2-3 cycles at least. Of all these 4 or 5 possible reasons or combinations there of, I personally think some major changes in the admissions/selection policies is the crucial one. Looks like a positive development.