Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Hi all, D got the UPitt interview invite - very happy for her! Good luck to all!

@ad2019 NU-HPME interviews were traditional 1:1 format…3 separate interviews + lunch with current 2nd year student. Good luck!

@rk2017 @OldSchoolMD The sponsors of Steon Hall’s SOM are also owner operators of a set of hospitals, hence they can guarantee residency in those hospitals with Primary care emphasis.

@grtd2010 - Congrats to your DD at Temple PPHS. Matriculation to LKSOM is essentially guaranteed as long as you meet the requirements (GPA, MCAT) as you described, which sounds very reasonable. The small concern was when looking back at her recent past, of the 18 students entering Temple PPHS 2012-14 (2015 and later are not yet in medical school; 2015 will officially know soon), 7 matriculated to LKSOM (all satisfies the GPA/MCAT requirements), 7 who did not matriculate to Temple PPHS (did not meet the GPA/MCAT requirements; it was suggested it was more likely the MCAT) still ended up going to medical school elsewhere. There were 4 who decided to voluntarily go the MD/PhD or other graduate program route.

So GPA/MCAT requirements seem very reasonable, just the concern about a greater number than expected not meeting MCAT requirements.

@grtd2010 - regarding Seton Hall SOM, does that mean if not pursuing a primary care specialty, then it would not be guaranteed even if they had those residencies in their health system?

@OldSchoolMD It seems that some Temple PPHS do very well in MCAT ( probably MCAT >= 520 and high GPAs > 3.9 ) and opt out for MD/PhD programs with full scholarships in medical school. This will distort the matriculation rate to LKSOM. A few unlucky may not meet MCAT or GPA requirements ( e.g. A grade of ‘C’ in Organic Chemistry I will put one out of the contention for LKSOM, but one may be able to get into other medical schools). The batch is usually small 4-6 per year. DD is not concerned at all.

@OldSchoolMD Their health system may not have some highly competitive (sought after) specialties. All primary care related residencies are not very competitive.

@SBSapphire No, I haven’t. Is there a timeline for that?

@grtd2010 - thanks! Sounds reasonable. Definitely reassuring to me as I really loved the positive vibe at Temple during the interview day. Best of luck to your DD.

@OldSchoolMD – Is it possible that the reason Seton Hall guarantees a residency in its system is because no other residency would take you after only 3 years of medical school? In that case, the good news would be that you definitely get a residency, but it might not be the one you want, and you wouldn’t have any other options, other than “…pursue other options such as intensive research, a global health immersion, an intensive community health immersion, an intensive clinical experience or the pursuit of a joint degree, in areas ranging from Business to Engineering.” (From the Seton Hall link you posted above.) In that case, you no longer have a 7 year program, and you are stuck applying for a residency after you have left medical school!

@NJDad00 @oldSchoolMD Even after doing primary care related residencies at Community hospitals, one can get fellowships in sub-specialties- like Cardio etc.

@grtd2010 – Understood. I was just trying to point out that the guarantee of a residency at Hackensack might be more of a bug than a feature, if the reason they make the guarantee is because you can’t actually go anywhere else after only 3 years of medical school. Does anyone know whether or not that is, in fact, the case? If it is, then the program is not much of a deal, since they aren’t guaranteeing you a seat in the medical school, and, if you happen to make it to the medical school, they lock you into one hospital system for residency, with your specialty dependent on their needs, kind of like the military, and with the majority of those residencies almost certainly being in primary care.

Do you guys have med-related plans for the summer?

(repeated)

@Dreamingteen3221 im a current first year student at psu as a part of the pmm program and we have a huge class but so far they dont try to convince students to drop out. its unlikely that everyone’s gonna make it through but they do encourage us to

Dreamingteen3222
Not weed out
You choose your courses but there is a basic core like all premed like Calc I and ii, bio 101 orgchem I and ii
Physic 1,2,3
Just got to maintain 3.5 in science
You do need to hit a minimum score mcat 504 but reading comprehension has minimum number of 126? Forgot – been a while
In third year some people leave to do abroad or research away… very lenient

Does anyone know if there is groupme/facebook group for accepted PMM students?

@vvtuav

Thank you for your post on the RESULTS thread.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2126726-official-thread-bs-md-results-class-of-2019-p1.html?new=1

@bsmdgirl123
Every year, there is a FB page for PMM.
Reach out of any of the senior students. May be @TheElusiveGod may help you. She is in the program.

@vvtuav,

Yes, thanks for taking lead in sharing your results so far. Though your uw GPA at first glance seems subpar compared to most of the folks here, the fact that you were in the top 5% of your class is a significant factor. Your school must have been highly competitive and grade deflated. I am sure that rigor will help you wherever you choose to go.

Glad that Penn State/Jeff took that into consideration, but not many of the programs care to look deeper unfortunately.

No problem, thank you for your kind remarks. I wouldn’t say grades are necessarily deflated at my school, it is the fact that I took more AP classes than 99% of my school but got mediocre grades in them that my GPA is low. I was aware of this from the beginning so I didn’t apply to many BSMD programs. Glad I got into Penn State :slight_smile: