Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Only disadvantage I know of Penn State/Jefferson program is that the first 3 years of undergrad is in a far away Penn State campus, away from the Jefferson med campus in Philadelphia. So students keen on being involved in medical related research may be at a disadvantage during those years. Others with direct knowledge of the program can weigh in hopefully.

am i hallucinating or does drexel bs/md program have no supplements??? im doing the application through common app and they dont require any extra writing other than my personal essay?? someone help im lost

@golden828 Drexel supplements open up after couple days (~3 days) of submitting Common App

@RedMan108 ohhh gotchu thank you so much! do you know when the supplements would be due then? because i know the application itself is due Nov 1st but im not sure if that is just the general application or the supplements also

November 1 – All application materials and College of Medicine Supplemental Application must be received. Refer to the following site: https://drexel.edu/undergrad/apply/freshmen-instructions/accelerated/

Is it a good idea to apply early decision to Northwestern or should we wait and try for all the direct med programs including HPME?

I mean they’re open

@neurochic if you try for HPME, you have to first be offered an invitation to apply for the program. If you are offered to apply for HPME, you probably have a chance for the BS/MD route, but you should still apply to strong premed programs as well.

@brown2024 agree with other posters that SAT foreign language is not required for BU - I’ve seen plenty of students get in without out. They do give a few merit scholarships out - they usually limit the trustee scholarship to 1 smed per year and give out a limited number of 50% or 10k scholarships. The majority of smeds don’t get any merit scholarships - probably because they know they can attract those students without the scholarship and the financial impact of having 1 less year of school!

What do you guys think about the UToledo program?

Not entirely sure how I feel.

[QUOTE=""]

The majority of smeds don’t get any merit scholarships - probably because they know they can attract those students without the scholarship and the financial impact of having 1 less year of school!

[/QUOTE]

More than these, they want to make the merit scholarship awards fare and equitable to everyone, across the 7 or so schools that admit undergrads. As pointed out by me at the beginning of this thread, if they decide to hand out these scholarships purely based on merit and accomplishments, pretty much all of the 25-30 smed students will grab a significant chunk of this amount at the expense of other programs also trying to attract bright minds to their folds. That’s why they try to more or less make the percentages of kids in the program getting these awards inline with the overall rate across the university. I suspect it is about twice the rate though for this program.

When do you receive that invitation? Is it the google form that you have to fill out with all of your information prior to Dec 1 in order to obtain access to the actual application?

does anyone have any ideas regarding applying ED to brown for the plme?

@neurochic,

Yes, NW asks you to fill out all your preliminary academic information such as SAT/ACT, subject tests, AP scores and school transcript before they decide whether or not to send you a link to fill out the actual application to the program. I don’t remember the cutoff date for it, but Dec 1 seems about right.

For Brown PLME, if you apply early decision you are bound to attend it whether or not you are selected for the program. As I mentioned earlier, if you are an ORM, no point in applying. You need to be either URM or legacy or at least a non ORM to have any chance. And quite frankly with your stats from the other thread, I don’t think there is much of a chance of getting into either PLME or otherwise, but if you are really keen you can try ED and see what happens.

@rk2017
You are wrong.
Yes ORM or any other race could be successful in Ed for PLME. My friend’s D, who was an ORM and had graduated from PLME(ED) four years ago. She was one the recipient of White House Academic Excellence Award. If any one had achieve that statue, no matter what race he/she is in, PLME will open its arms with scholarships.

Sorry, the exact term should be “The Presidential Scholars”, out of 3 Million HS graduates each year, about 100ish will be the recipients. And the term “scholarship” is used loosely, she was from a single mom family, Brown gave her money based on her financial needs.

@artloversplus,

We are not talking about outliers here but practicals. If you haven’t yet, please refer to my earlier post on the on going lawsuit against Brown for their discriminatory policies against ORMs (Asian origin).

Also, 4 years ago is a long time frame to quote from in a rapidly changing competitive landscape. I definitely won’t bet an ORM with the same profile would be accepted at Brown today.

@neurochic It is never a good idea to apply for ED when there is an interest in BS/MD program.

The point to note is, even if some Ivy or Elite colleges (discriminates or fair), the probability is low. It does not mean you won’t get selected or should not apply. If there is no financial constraints and if student can stretch, would encourage to apply to any schools you want to give it a try. Unless you try, you never know!

Past data from a local School (whatever I could recall).

1. Only two admitted to Harvard 2016-17 cycle. A. Asian girl with 4.0 and School magazine Editor. B. Asian girl, joined US HS only in 9th but adapted to new environment so fast and did things related to Computer Science for local students. 2. Only one Asian girl admitted to Brown in 2017-18 cycle.

Not any international or national award in science or humanities or volunteer related for any of the 3 Asian girls. All are excellent students and well deserve and all are very good in writing.