Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

My bad, I read it wrong, graduated from PLME 4 years ago? Meaning entered Brown like what > 8 years?
Just to give an idea about how rapidly competition can climb, the number of applicants to BU’s (i.e. Boston) accelerated program doubled between 2017 cycle to 2018 to 2000+.

@GoldenRock, @neurochic,
I did not ask not to apply, in fact to the contrary if she is really keen, I don’t even know what her racial ethnicity is. The statement is meant to set realistic expectations for those with ORM backgrounds. But yes, if you think you do have chances go for it by all means.

I know at least 4 Asians who were accepted to Harvard last year and all from one state. So, while it is true that the bar is higher for ORM’s, it is still worth giving it a shot if your stats/EC’s are spectacular. What have you got to lose by trying?

@RedMan108,

The law suit against Harvard seems to have had some positive effect finally? :))
If you don’t mind, may we know which state are all these kids you are referring to from?

For the 2017 year, our HS in NY had 4 students get into Harvard - 2 Indian, 2 Chinese - no hooks - all exceptional students i - no one was surprised that they got in.

That is heartening to know. In case of my D’s previous high school, an exceptional school in it’s own right, no one seems to have gone to Harvard in a decade. So much that it seems kids have practically stopped applying there. Hopefully things will start looking upwards in the near future.
Of course few have gone to MIT, Caltech and Princeton. Many have gotten into UC Berkeley and Georgia Tech but most chose not to go. This year’s valedictorian joined BU’s 7 year program.

Anyone working on Boston BSMD application? I noticed that on the BU general admissions page it lists the Teacher Evaluations on the Common App as required, but on the requirements page for the BSMD Program, it asks for the forms to be emailed to instead.

What majors most premed students apply to?

anyone know anything about bs/md or bs/do programs in california?

@sangsun usually a science major although there are sometimes exceptions. most pre-med students i know go as bio, biochem, chem major or something along the line of that

@golden828 There is no BS/MD programs in CA. Knowingly not including CA Northstate, unless you want to apply there.

@sangsun There is no specific requirement to what major any one should do. So do a major where you will enjoy (and will get solid GPA) and also where it will take your career for Plan B (since very low % of students who start as pre-med end up doing MD). You can see all kinds of majors current/past students have majored. There are many tables to know whatever you are looking at MSAR site.

Anybody received GAP supplements yet?

I am also looking for for backup schools for traditional route which are premed friendly in case nothing works with BS MD programs. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

@sangsun
I would choose an undergraduate program, where you will be top 10-20 percent of the student body.
That program should give a merit scholarship as well since you will be one of their top students.
Personally, I like schools that have a major hospital nearby so that you could participate in researching, shadowing or volunteering. To name a few schools, I would include Case Western, U of Rochester and U of Pittsburgh. Main point is that you want to choose a college that you have a reasonable chance of getting As and some B’s.
Good like.

Wait… I just found this on the common app:

How many colleges can I add to my Dashboard?

The Common Application member colleges have stipulated that applicants may add up to 20 colleges. The college list cannot be expanded for any applicant. Once you submit an application, that college can no longer be removed from your list of colleges.

Is this a hard and fast rule? I feel as though many BS/MD candidates would have to surpass this.

@Cherax That is true. Some schools, you need to apply directly (UPitt). There is another consolidator, Universal App and some schools accept from them (example Rice, RPI). Still you need to plan to restrict to 20 or 25. Otherwise lot of money and lot of time to spend for the admission process.

In fact some schools have more restrictions than this (based on my D’s experience will give only 5 recs). Some BS/MD programs, secondary apps need recs again (the worst example is Northwestern, who can not share among UG and BS/MD the LORs).

Bottom line you need to plan and come up with a solution.

@neurochic, @golden828, @Cherax, @RedMan108 :

@neurochic - Below is the latest data available for ED vs RD across different schools put together by some one based on the previous years’ common data sets (CDS). According to which at Brown, one has about 3 times the chances of getting in as ED (not for PLME though, which is unknown). Kind of makes sense since some of these schools are very sensitive to their “yield” numbers i.e. the likelihood of people offered admission actually joining there eventually. So accordingly they tend to fill up their classes more and more with pre committed students, so that they can present such figures as input to ranking agencies like usnews* as plus points for favorable rankings.

On the other hand some of the elites among Ivies like Princeton or among non Ivies like Stanford don’t care about yields since they are pretty confident about it and hence don’t offer ED option at all. It is only Restricted Early action, where they will make a decision on your application early or defer to RD, but you are not bound to attend them either way. But the restriction is that you can only apply to 1 school under that plan (much like ED).

https://www.iecaonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Early-Decision-and-Regular-Decision-Acceptance-Rates-April-2018.pdf

• For those of you bent on rankings, there is a competing ranking site by Wall Street Journal/Times Higher, who just published few weeks ago for 2019, if you want to cross compare across the two. A consolidated list across more than 1000 universities and colleges, unlike the way usnews does. They seem to take ground realities into consideration and seemed more reasonable to me, though there are some striking anomalies as with usnews (such as Brown in top 10, ahead of Princeton, seriously?)

@golden828 -
According to the following site, there is a BS/DO program being offered in California. The same site also has listings for BS/MD and other options too. You will have to first make up your mind though whether or not you want to go this route and if so, may want to do enough research about the institution first.

http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/bs_do_programs.html

@Cherax -
You can use the Universal App or Coalition App to apply for some traditional route schools that accept them. Check out who accepts what first on their websites. You can use Common App for all BS/MD and other programs that are not accepting the above two. However I personally think 20 is a sufficiently large number and one shouldn’t even apply to that many. Since there is a lot of time and effort involved specific to each of them and you don’t want to apply without putting your best effort on each one of them. By applying to too many you are more likely than not to spread yourself thin.

@RedMan108 -
When in doubt, don’t hesitate to call up the programs directly or ask parents or siblings to help find out or follow up since you don’t want to be distracted too much from current semester which will also be considered for admissions to some schools/programs.

@rk2017 Thanks for your input, and appreciate all the guidance from you and other senior members.

Hello, What is the difference (in terms of # of accepted students, in-state vs OOS preference, acceptance rate) between SBU/GWU and GW/GWU.? Thanks!

Any suggestions on SBU/GWU vs GW/GWU? I see that SBU is 8 years while GW is 7 but could not find any details on how many they accept, in-state preference etc.

@RedMan108,
I don’t know much about either, with respect to the specific questions you have. But based on general awareness, GWU/GWU has an intake of about 10-12 a year. So I guess they extend offers to about 25.
~1200 or so apply for the program as part of the general undergrad application but with an additional supplement for the program. I think the demand is most likely due to the location of the school in or around DC.
SBU/GWU may be less competitive wise perhaps bcoz of longer duration of study and not as highly sought after location during undergrad factors. But the number of seats allotted for that track may also be fewer (than the 10-12 for the GWU GWU program), in which case it could be equally or even more competitive.

This website claims approximately equal intake though, information seems to be from 2016 and may have changed since.

http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/8-year-bsmd-programs.html