Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Yes, That’s the point. last year only 60 took the seats, This year they don’t know, definitely they are expecting more

And they are expecting only 30 to go for final stage interview

Yes, LECOM is binding. If you apply out you loose your reserved seat

Here is my question about the programs that are binding. Will they still support an application out with a committee letter? My reading of the paper work from Union indicates that they will not. If thats the case, be very sure you are happy with the undergrad.

@gallentjill,

I find it very strange with Union refusing to issue committee letters to those who choose to opt out. As mentioned yesterday, where my D attends, the director of the program himself confirmed that it is not uncommon, though very rare, for students to opt out for a variety if reasons like family situations, wanting to apply out to lower cost med schools etc. He said in such cases whatever is applicable to undergrad premed students will be applied to those students. That includes giving credits to AP courses in Physics, Biology and Chemistry, the ones for which students in that program don’t get any credits for …
Only thing he stressed was that they need to be informed of change of plans well in advance. I was under the impression it should be similar policies across all these programs.

@rk2017 It may be the same at Union. I’m just looking at the paper work. I would assume that if a student had a valid reason for making a change, they would be decent about it, but I have no way to confirm. Also, since students are getting a MS degree for no extra cost of attendance, that may be a factor.

@gallentjill In the college visit during Union/AMC med school interview, I asked this question. Was told by Union that there are some exceptional situations they allow students to seek different med school - one went to Canadian med school, an example given. But we have to go by contract, exceptions are up to them.

It may be beneficial to look at this in a different perspective. Rather than expecting programs should change their rules or questions their policy, we should go with the mindset, is the program of my choice and will I stick to it?

Programs have disclosed their details, whether it is binding or not, GPA/MCAT reqs, Major, minimum years in UG etc.
No one forces us to join a program, it is we evaluate the choices and make the decision.

That is why it is critical juncture now. You have 50 days to do all the digging and make your decision based on your personal situation.

In general it is never wise to do this transfer after 1st year or change gear because you don’t like this or that etc.,
It is understandable that some one may change to go to a non-medicine choice.

Remember life is like a river and it never flows in 1 straight line, it curves around, ups and downs and that is inevitable in your next 80+ years!

This is from Union’s website on a page I had missed before:

@Smilescreen Hi! This is a very delayed reply to your post from a couple months back, but I wanted to share some insight into the Augusta BSMD program. I’m currently a sophomore in the 7 year program and had also been hearing rumors of the program ending. I brought this up with the program coordinator (because I had several high school friends interested in applying) and was told that this is simply a rumor. In fact, the incoming students from the BSMD program into the medical school are bringing above average GPAs and MCAT scores that have been competitive against those of traditionally accepted students at the Medical College of Georgia. Though the program was off to a rough start 6 years ago, it’s retention has been getting better ever since, and they’re actually planning on expanding the program. The rumor of the program ending circulates every year - I’ve been hearing the same thing for 3 years now.

Anu update on stony brook interviews?

Hi everyone!

Like @Greentree2000, My DS was blessed to receive invitations to interview by both WashU’s USP and Duke’s BN full scholarship. Both scholar weekends overlap. What are your thoughts on which to attend? We visited both WashU and Duke and S liked the WashU atmosphere better, but I know USP has high GPA and MCAT requirements and have warned him of it.

Does anyone know how many people are invited and interviewed for each, and how many scholarships are finally given out? I greatly appreciate any help!

@diaash - Haven’t heard from Stony Brook as of yet. Says invites are sent out mid- March.

@gallentjill - I interpret from the Union website that you posted, that one would be allowed to apply out to other medical schools (with support of their premed committee) but would require relinquishing their guaranteed seat (i.e. withdraw from the LIM program) from AMC. I think this (forfeiting guaranteed med school seat if applying out) is consistent with most BS-MD programs.

I would have chimed in earlier but it’s the end of the term, so I’m buried in work right now. The premed committee at Union will give a student full support if they decide to withdraw from the LIM program. I know of a couple people who got dismissed from the program in the years above me, but they were still able to get into a medical school going the traditional route at Union. You will also be allowed to continue the MS/MBA, but you are required to pay for all of your courses for the MS/MBA.

Thanks @Undecided3494 Out of curiousity, why did people get dismissed from the program? Is that common?

Most LIM classes are around 15 students large. Mine was personally 16 at the start and we lost 2 after Organic Chemistry. Most students will get dismissed during Orgo or right after as their Math/Science GPA is significantly brought down and they can’t get it back up to 3.5 by the time their probationary period. I would say that the trend is that a class will lose 2-3 people during the undergraduate years. Once you get past Orgo it is usually smoother sailing, but there was actually a Senior who got dismissed after Fall term this year, so if you take the later classes for granted you can still get into trouble.

how many people are in the medical scholars program at SLU?

@remroll we received following response last year from SLU admission counselor.

[ul]
[]Roughly 120 students enroll in the Medical Scholars program each year.
[
]About 50% of those students leave the program by the time the interviews roll around sophomore year.
[]Majority of the students leave the program because they are no longer interested in being doctors.
[
]they don’t have breakdown for students who leave for not meeting grade vs. losing interest.
[li]~90% of the remaining students are offered spots in the SOM.[/li][/ul]

Thanks for the info @bsmd2485. I also heard that professors grade tough intentionally to eliminate some of the kids. I that true?