Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Hey everyone. I’m interested in some BS/MD programs in NY. Specifically Brooklyn since Sophie Davis is very competitive and Hofstra is out on LI. I was wonder if my stats are competitive enough for this program.

GPA Almost 4.0 (3rd in class)
SAT 1400
Only 1 ap (a 4) possibly more this year
NYS Regents:
Alg 86
Trig 92
Bio 94
Chem 92
Physics 94
World and US history 99
English taking this year

Taking pretty good senior classes and doing well so far. I’m nervous because my SAT isn’t great and I don’t plan on taking the ACT now or the SAT again anymore but I’m hoping with everything else it’s good enough.

Also my ECs are okay and my essays should be pretty good but does anyone know if these numbers are good enough.

@futuredoctor5580 What do you mean by “Hofstra is out on LI?”

I don’t know if there’s a place to report Regents, correct me if I’m wrong. Try the ACT, can’t hurt!

I plan on staying at home and Brooklyn is closer while Hofstra is on LI and a much longer commute. Brooklyn is right by the train so it makes it easier for me. I have heard that regents grades can help if they’re on your transcript for CUNY schools because they look at that. I’m not sure though.

I have thought about the ACT I would need some time to practice and see how it is. Also I checked out a science section and it just wasn’t for me. English seemed like a joke compared to SAT English so maybe. I’m going to consider it.

Oh Long Island! Sorry I’m from MA : ))

I took the ACT and one of the big reasons was because the English section was more straightforward than the SAT’s. Almost no trickery. I didn’t know you could add Regents grades but if you can, it seems like it would be in your favor!!

ACT Science is purely reading comprehension – how fast can you read the passage and interpret the graph. There’s little to no rote science on it (good or bad). In all honesty, the 1400 probably won’t look great. If you can get a 32+ on the ACT then your app will have a lot more strength. The advantage to the ACT is that many schools will consider it in lieu of SAT Subject Tests as well (take if you have the chance!).

Has NW HPME requirements changed to maintain GPA in UG into medical school this year ?

Hello All,

My D applied to UIC GPPA.
Last week she got admission from UIC.
This week she received invitation for honors college interview.

Question:

1. By scheduling / attending honors college interview, are we committing to UIC school?
  2. for GPPA, is the honors college admission mandatory?

Thanks in Advance

I’ve considered SAT IIs but I may go with the ACT. Luckily for NY schools regents are a factor (for some at least) which should help. I do well on regular science but the ACT science is just more complex reading comp. Also science isn’t as important as other parts for ACT so I’ll see. Thanks. Anyone else who can help out or people who are in Brooklyn/Downstate feel free to help me out.

Does Case Western superscore act for their preprofessional program?

what med school does sophie davis undergrads matriculate into?

@blessed101 Glancing at their website, here is the response to your questions.

1. No (this is true for many colleges, not just UIC. Many BS/MD programs have a req to be admitted in Honors College)
  2. Yes

@golden828,
CUNY medical school (city university of New York). The program may be open only for New York state residents though so check it out. You may want to private message @Metsfan7860 who is in the program for further details if you want (he offered help few days back)

Thanks @GoldenRock

Is BU Application for BS/MD through Common app or any supplemental application? What are the options to choose in Academics of Common APP for Accelerated Program. Appreciate your response

Hello all the fellow applicants please read the umkc bsmd thread posts recently.I am very worried and concerned about the things happening in the campus.Though I was unable to understand completely what was going wrong.Is it a good choice to apply to umkc bsmd with such a painstaking effort?Please advice if I am overthinking… I want my kid to be safe and peaceful if we have to choose umkc

hey guys i was wondering if which looks better a 1470 or 34?

34 unless you meant 1570.

thanks!

also has anyone have any feedback about the stevens institute of technology bs/md program? or the new seton hall one?

@blessed101

Hi, I am also planning to apply to UIC GPPA and am almost done with the application. Do you know how long it took for her to hear back from UIC after she had submitted her application?