Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Nah. Internships show quite a lot of initiative – all the more at a prestigious program like RSI, Simons, RISE, Hillman, etc. Summer courses are still valued as they provide an alternative to ‘sitting around,’ which is what may students do indeed do. There are many, many really great programs that highly stand out to admissions. JHH and Harvard are both massive research centers and if the student performed research (or similar), whether or not it was through a program, it still holds weight.

Any idea when the Univ of Pittsburgh would typically send the GAP notifications with supplementals to shortlisted students?

No, they were not offered as programs @Cherax and @vmt1975

@Cherax

Should that be a focus of one of the supplemental essays, or should we mention in an interview

@Metsfan7860 hey i am a senior also planning on applying to sophie davis. how do you like it there? any suggestions? any help would be greatly appreciated

@neurochic I would do both!

Last year it was around last week of Oct / 1st week of Nov - you will get 30 days to respond.

@RedMan108

@sangsun UPitt undergrad essays are important. Suggest you answer all optional questions as well.
One of the observations I made about UPitt is that they have about 8-10 seats and they have a strong preference for Out-of-State students. Historically, they have had 1-2 in-state students, rest are out-of-state.
Also, Last year they had called 40 students for interviews - all had perfect SAT or ACT scores.
Supplemental application is what the Med School looks at - of course, they get your undergrad app as well.

@neurochic
From my observations, if you are SAT<1550 and ACT<=34, applying ED for any BS/MD school works AGAINST you. You will get the undergrad but not the medical part.

Last year, during my interview visits to 6 BS/MD programs, I did not find any student with either ACT<34 or SAT<1540.
Let me explain how I classify that score: If a student has SAT=1520 and ACT=34, I would count that student as ACT=34 (and not SAT < 1540).

“I would not count that student as act=34 ( and not sat less then 1540” . U mean act 34 is higher then sat 1520?

U suggesting that if sat < 1540 and act 34, we should sent act scores and not sat?

Personally I would send the 34 as well.

What schools can you ed to for bs md?

Which BS/MDs have ED like Brown?

@NoviceDad
Shall I not send the SAT scores then?

@diaash @neurochic

You can send both but the higher score will count.

In my view -
ACT 36=SAT 1600
ACT 35 = SAT 1570
ACT 34 = SAT 1540
ACT 33 = SAT 1500

@neurochic @diaash
Not sure if any combined BS/BA/MD programs offer true ED. For Brown PLME program, this is their statement

“A student applying early decision to the College and the PLME may be admitted in December to both the College and the PLME. However, some students may be selected early decision for admission to the College only and not the PLME. In this circumstance, the student will be bound by the early decision agreement to attend the College regardless of non-acceptance into the PLME program. Those who apply early decision and are admitted to the College and not to PLME will be reconsidered for the PLME during regular decision”.

If going to a combined BS/BA/MD program is your primary goal, ED Brown is a risky strategy IMHO.

@neurochic @NoviceDad @diaash

Here is the latest SAT vs ACT concordance published by College Board (https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/guide-2018-act-sat-concordance.pdf)

ACT 36 = 1570-1600 (1590)
ACT 35 = 1530-1560 (1540)
ACT 34 = 1490-1520 (1500)

@biomeds @diaash @neurochic

While that is the “official” table that SAT publishes, my observation is that most colleges do not follow that and follow the equivalency the way I had indicated.

In the past when we had “old” SAT and “new” SAT, college board kept saying the scores were equivalent but almost all colleges discounted the “new” SAT scores to be considered comparable with the “old” SAT scores. The discounting was as high as 120 points in many cases.

Anyway, I would suggest send both scores (if you have taken both SAT and ACT).
Let the college decide what score they want to consider as the higher of the two.