Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@sajju786

Upitt has very high GPA requirements

BU residency match is better than UPitt

do u have scholarship at baylor ?

@trustybsms 
yes complete UG free as my S is NMF finalist and he was awarded Regents Gold Scholarship at Baylor Univ in Waco.

During interview we spoke with current UG and all of them said it is easy to maintain a 3.75 GPA and no one drops because of GPA and even if the GPA goes down the program director Dr.Rao said we work with students to help them get back to GPA of 3.75
 that is required at UPitt,so that will not be a concern

UPitt UG admissions are no that competitive, so 3.7 shoudn’t be an issue. No offense to any Pitt parents

@@sajju786 My 2 cents, UIC GPPA (home field advantage). Being a physician yourself, you know what matters is how well you perform in the medical school, not the brand name. Nobody cares where you got your MD from, once you are a board certified physician. All accredited US medical schools are equally good.

@sajju786 I would look at the medical school primary care rankings as well, it’s an equally important factor as research. Pitt seems to be Top 15 in both, so in terms of enhancement of opportunities it seems to be the better option. My D thinks that Pitts proximity to NIH is a perk for summer research to build a competitive residency app. These should be options I would consider.

@Mimic17 --Thanks for your suggestion–I would recommend GWU 7 year over Pennstate PMM, Sorry to bother you, could you explain details why you recommend GWU over Penn (do you know any one attending GWU or any reference to check??)

@grtd2010 - I believe med school/residency/fellowship programs prestige do matter when landing first job and more and more millennials are opting for jobs not their own private practice.

Anyone who got in PMM
 I searched facebook group for ‘PMM 2026’ and found an existing group started by a student.

Since both my 2 nieces graduated from GWU 7 year program
They both liked it, except their parents complained about fee it seems were very expensive

@NoviceDad @rk2017 @srk2017 and all other experts in the group

Can you please suggest on which is a better program between UConn SPiM and GWU 7 year (not considering money factor)

Those who got accepted into SBU/GW, do we know what is the MCAT needed for promotion to GW?

@bsmdchat20 All accredited US medical schools are equally good. It is your personal choice based on your situation. Just an observation, UConn SPiM as OOS is very expensive compared to NJMS/RWJMS (In-State). You have stated that money is NOT a factor.

@grtd2010 Thanks for your input. We are OOS for UConn, but given good amount of scholarship for the undergrad part.
Since UConn is a non binding program, there is an open option to choose a different medical school.

Again GWU is better than UConn SPM

@bsmdcaht20 It seems that you have an easy choice to make. Do you have acceptance into GWU 7 yrs or just an alternate ?

Again all accredited US medical schools are NOT equally good :slight_smile: AMC is not same as Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF etc
 but AMC meets the US standards and doctors who graduated from AMC will do a fine job.

@NoviceDad @rk2017 @srk2017 @whitecane @GoldenRock @PPofEngrDr @Mimic17
Hi, We are deciding between NU and GWU. can you guys point us which would be a better option? Money is not a factor. I know HPME is a highly ranked program, but GPA requirement of HPME (3.7) is a concern for us. Any advice is appreciated. thank you in advance!

@cy2019bsmd On a quick glance on PSU and GWU did not get much info. But both are medical colleges established 100+ years back, similar in rankings, fees and big cities etc., PSU class size is huge (275) and GWU is big (175). PSU requirements are not that hard. Not clear on GWU. Feedback from students who attended is useful and @Mimic17 has posts.

@bsmdbamd. Please ask your DC what kind of academic environment he/she wants in UG. IMHO, it is your DC choice. Your DC is going to take classes and earn grades.

@bsmdbamd. NU bsmd program.My 2 cents.