Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@srk2017

2017-2018 matriculating data released in 2019? Seems odd, I bet they can do better than that :smile:

Here is a popular med school category list on SDN for traditional path (scoring system based on GPA, MCAT and ECs)

Category 1 (TOP): Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago

Category 2 (HIGH): Michigan, UCLA, NYU, Vanderbilt, Pitt, UCSD, Cornell, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, Baylor*, Mayo, Case Western, Emory

Category 3 (MID): UTSW, UVA, Ohio State, USC-Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, UNC

Category 4 (LOW): USF-Morsani, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami, Iowa, MC Wisconsin, Toledo, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, VCU, Western MI, EVMS, Vermont, WVU, Wisconsin, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, Maryland

Category 5 (STATE): Your state schools if they do not appear elsewhere on this list - You should always apply to all of these if applying MD

Category 6 (LOW YIELD): Jefferson, Tulane, Tufts, Georgetown, Brown, BU, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush

Category 7 (DO): DO Schools

@rk2017 The formula used to calculate Selectivity Index is:

Individual Selection Score = MCAT Score * GPA*(1-Acceptance Rate)

Selective Index = 100* ( Individual Selection Score/Maximum of all Individual Selection Score)

It basically added acceptance rate to the mix of MCAT & GPA. Lower the acceptance rate (yield), higher the Selection Index.
The data used is from 2018 in
https://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■/medical/med-selectivity-index

The data has the following columns:
Medical School

2019 USN Ranking: Research

2019 USN Ranking: Primary

Total Enrollment

Median MCAT Score

Median Undergrad GPA

Acceptance Rate
Selectivity Score

Selectivity Index

Temple University (Katz) 57 69 866 512 3.75 4.0% 1843 93.1

Drexel BA/BS+MD email notification received on Monday, March 25th. My DS got accepted.

Will need to think about this one since it’s early assurance only, 4+4 years, with one semester Co-op requirement, 3 summer commitment, and high COA despite $24K annual scholarship.

Waiting on NJMS (otherwise will need to decide between Drexel or going the traditional route).

@grtd2010

Thanks for the info!

@srk2017

We seem to have someone else beating USNWR methodology hands down :smiley: in ridiculity
Well, what to say, if it suits you go with it by all means. :wink:

@rk2017 - Those categories are for med school applications purposes only based on the scoring system them came up with and widely used by the students who follow SDN. So it’s not a ranking system like USNWR.

@srk2017

Don’t know what students follow or use but do know Georgetown is one of the most applied to med schools in the country (category 6 or whatever they bucket it under)

@srk2017 The WAR score spreadsheet (refer to SDN) uses those categories to advise where to apply based on WAR’s score. Most BSMD programs are under low yield category since they have a very large number of regular applicants. How much ranking should influence where to apply ?
Highly ranked programs do not necessarily guarantee a highly sought after residency at the end of four years.This is all about prestige and getting top residencies. Top students from any accredited program can get top residencies. Most MDs work in primary care and related specialties.

@grtd2010 - I don’t think it’s based on number of applications. My understanding is it tries determine the chance of getting an interview.

And improve your odds to be accepted and utilize own resources more wisely during application phase of ~20-25 med schools.

@@srk2017 If you have low WAR’s score, it advises to apply to low yield categories just in case you may land up an interview. For high WAR’s score, it advises to apply in top 3 categories and state schools. Low yield schools are waste of time and money for high WAR score student.

Glad I don’t have to deal with WAR or whatever business, don’t care enough to know about it :neutral: you guys have fun with those figures and analysis :wink:

@grtd2010

precisely the point to improve your odds to be accepted and utilize own resources more wisely during application phase of ~20-25 med schools.

@srk2017 please tell me what does SDN stand for? These categories in your post are difficult to understand. How do you evaluate a school in category 6? Is it good to attend a low yielding school? And how about category 4, what does it mean by low? How does one evaluate Penn State and Albany if they are both in category 6? Is Category 5 better than Category 6? This is confusing!

@rk2017

agree ignorance is a bliss. It may come handy for attrition cases.

SDN is a very popular forum for med and pre-meds in colleges. It stands for Student Doctor Network. For regular admissions, top 3 categories are desirable for high WAR students since they represent a higher likelihood of an interview and acceptance. The state schools are recommended since they may prefer in-state candidates. Low WAR candidates are advised to apply mainly to lower category schools to enhance their chances of an interview and acceptance.

@srk2017 - Brown and Boston University are Category 6 (low yield)? So how are the different categories interpreted? What is it ranking? Likelihood to get an interview? Likelihood to get accepted?

@OldSchoolMD Brown has an acceptance rate of 3.2% during regular admission cycle ( see post #5128)
Brown University (Alpert) 32 39 566 515 3.79 3.2% 1889 95.5

@PPofEngrDr

Those are not my words you quoted above :smiley: :wink:
And yes darn! They (CC) removed all those variety of smilies.
Any one knows how to get them back?

was meant for @grtd2010 :smile: @rk2017 @srk2017 Bring those emojis back please I missed them so much.