Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@diaash
If it is medicine, I would suggest RPI/AMC.

RPI is a highly reputed engineering university.

To quote Wikipedia:

“As of 2017, RPI’s faculty and alumni include six members of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, six National Medal of Technology winners, five National Medal of Science winners, eight Fulbright Scholarship recipients, and a Nobel Prize winner in Physics; in addition, 86 faculty or alumni are members of the National Academy of Engineering, 17 of the National Academy of Sciences, 25 of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, eight of the National Academy of Medicine, and nine of the National Academy of Inventors.[19]”

There is a lot to Bragg about RPI.

@upstream @srk2017

Based on what I have seen / heard, I have not found 1 kid (doing traditional path) and who is taking a gap year - not finding the gap year stressful.

And not to mention the anxiety parents go through.

@medadmin2019 @bsmdbamd

HPME interviews about ~120 and gives offers to 20 students with a small waitlist.
Last year, 1 student declined HPME (for Harvard). Also, in last year’s batch, students have chosen HPME over Yale, Stanford, Columbia, and CMU - too name a few.

@diaash
Become next founder of Leptin… and potential winner of Nobel Prize like Dr. Jeffrey M. Friedman. Go to RPI!

You can also garner these awards:
Shaw Prize (2009)
Albert Lasker Award for Basic Medical Research (2010)
BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award (2012)
Foreign Member of the Royal Society (2018)

I would choose HPME over H.

@upstream @gallentjill @NoviceDad @grtd2010 @srk2017 @rk2017 , thank u all for ur so very supporting and encouraging words. Really cheered me up and took my rejection blues away.
Was really disappointed about Columbia/ Yale / brown rejections . But yes, I have a lot to be happy about . Still waiting to hear from Stonybrook and Sophie Davis too. But I like rpi/amc over these , specially coz they offered half tuition too, 7 years and no mcat .
Thanks once again . Appreciate all ur support

@NoviceDad - I know one first hand. Went to Berkeley for UG, decided to focus on grades given how brutal it is, took gap year to get the research exp and got into USC(al). Again need bit of planning.

Just won regional exploravision and competing for nationals , I thought that would be able to use that to add to my resume Incase I got waitlisted at brown /Yale/Columbia ??

@diaash -Sorry to say, regional and state medals are not enough for Ivies. WIth so many competitions there are hundreds of winners.

@upstream , do u mind if I pm you ? Was wondering if I can connect to senior student body there who been through this program

@upstream
My wife knows this student and his mom.
According to her, this student is extraordinary brilliant.
He was disappointed by the HPME Admitted Student day and finding NO HPME officials there to answer his questions.
Had that experience been different, who knows, he may have selected HPME.

It’s now in the past.
I am sure he is thriving at Harvard.

@diaash - Ivies are lottery for ORMs so don’t be disappointed. With the merit you got at RPI it’s a no brainer.

@srk2017 , I know that . I have regeneron and global awards too. Anyways it is all water under the bridge now .

@diaash - Now I am curious, what kind of global awards?

Global intern award for research at my lab

@diaash - I know what you won, don’t disclose here :smile:

Updated: looks like you posted at the same time.

@diaash
Congratulations!!!
Enjoy the moment!
And sit with your parents and chalk out your next steps.
All the very best.

@srk2017
Now I can say I know of a case, courtesy you, where a student did not find the gap year stressful.
Thank you.

Gap years, students do for various reasons. Last year OU BS/MD student got UTSW opted to do 1 year Fulbright award research at Netherlands and deferred to this year for her MD/Ph.D. Double majored in Math and Bio and research.

@diaash If you have passion and drive, you can do anything in whatever school you are (like the above OU student). If RPM allows to apply out, try again in 3 or 4 years for your prestigious MD schools. RPM/AMC is very good choice and there is nothing to feel bad about it, when you are so clear about medicine career.

@diaash

When you are ready, please share your experiences in the results thread:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2126726-bs-md-results-class-of-2019.html#Comment_21999039