Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@BlessedSSD3Dad
I believe they are finishing interviews this week.

@BSMDQuest It is less accepted than with SAT/ACT and schools will see all of your scores. However, it is done and it can help with admissions if your first score is low. I read somewhere that about 25% of applicants do retake it, but I donā€™t have a link.

At my Dā€™s Brooklyn interview, a couple of the current students talked about friends needing to take the test more than once to keep their seats. I should also note that Brooklyn requires a minimum score on each section as well as on the overall test. I donā€™t know about Hofstraā€™s requirement in that area.

@BSMDQuest Do you know anyone who is in Brooklyn program? How do they like Brooklyn /Macaulay undergraduate?

@rk2017, @srk2017, @NoviceDad and all experts here, any info on

Brooklyn needs minimum 309 and Hofstra needs 313 -as of now

*any info on Drexel attrition?

@BlessedSSD3Dad, we havenā€™t, we were told that calls from NJMS would come either today, monday or tuesday

@BlessedSSD3Dad, we havenā€™t heard from NJMS, we were told calls from NJMS were expected either today, monday or tuesday

@motivat we donā€™t know anyone personally that is either currently or went through the program, unfortunately

one thing that worried us about going the BAMD route was someone had commented to us that they felt the BAMD students were the weakest in their class, so wondering if it is a function of the education at the undergraduate or students slacking off because of relatively low GPA requirement, I know, depends on the student and they have to self-motivate, itā€™s just one more thing to worry about

Has anyone heard from Sophie Davis?

@BSMDQuest - According to this study, there is no difference between BSMD students and traditional path students at Northwestern.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26164638

However this original study seems to have different view but I canā€™t see full study

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/j.2161-0045.2007.tb00029.x

one is comparing the stats and other is comparing the career maturity.

@BSMDQuest - how a BSMD/BAMD student compares to a med student via that traditional route would not surprisingly depend on the specific students. as i mentioned in a recent post, the reason why RPI/AMC BSMD (physician scientist program) students did relatively better compared to their fellow traditional route medical student classmates is because their application/resume generally looked better with the required basic science research that is part of their BSMD curriculum. so while some BSMD programs do not have research as a strict requirement, being in a situation where one is not trying to get every last point to increase oneā€™s GPA, stressing and studying to the limit to get the highest score possible on the MCATs (assuming they even have to take it), trying to obtain as many leadership positions/join as many clubs, maximizing their hospital volunteer work/physician shadowing hours, etc., one may be able to be more focused in their college path - be more selective in the EC activities that they choose to be involved in, have more time to pursue higher quality research. the BSMD student would presumably use the safety net of a lower GPA/MCAT requirement to better set them up for when they apply to residency. the only thing i can think of that might diminish what i stated above is that now iā€™m hearing that majority of students matriculating into med school have taken at least 1-2 gap years prior. while these students are certainly strengthening their resume, itā€™s also possible that many of them did so due to the perceived less than ideal package that they would be presenting if they were to apply to medical school during his/her senior year of college. i would imagine if oneā€™s medical school application was already strong by senior of college, that majority would choose to apply directly to medical school without taking a gap year(s).

in summary, i think that being in a BMD/BAMD program would generally not prohibit one from being a successful medical student during medical school or prevent one from obtaining a competitive residency position compared to their traditional medical student counterparts. it shouldnā€™t be surprising that itā€™s individualized. if a BSMD/BAMD student doesnā€™t take advantage of his undergraduate years, then he/she may experience some challenges at the next level. my opinion is most (though certainly not all) BSMD/BAMD students by their competitive/ambitious nature, should do fine in medical school/residency.

@srk2017 I canā€™t access that full study either, but at the least the blurb seems to say they compared students on an accelerated track vs traditional, obviously, we donā€™t know their definitions, but would see, to suggest accelerated was speaking to a 2 or 3 year graduating student - it was written in 2011, maybe 6yr programs were more prevalent then?

[QUOTE=""]
one thing that worried us about going the BAMD route was someone had commented to us that they felt the BAMD students were the weakest in their class

[/QUOTE]

@BSMDQuest,

You may want to refer to my post from yesterday, number 5176 (page 346). Depends on combination of program and individual ā€¦

Ultimately it comes down to how BSMD kids utilize their less stressful UG time i.e. relax and strive to meet the minimum requirements or continue to work hard like in HS. Harry Trumanā€™s famous motto, ā€œthe buck stops hereā€ :smile:

Things evolve based on the factors / feedback influence to make the system to work better.
The competition for MD admission is getting harder in the last 10-15 years. So in order to distinguish students are focusing on GPA/MCAT during UG and taking time on EC in the gap years. Side effect the average age difference between BS/MD and Regular students increases little bit. With the age, the maturity and diversity also improves.
That is why pretty much the 6 years programs are getting extinct. Even one of the oldest 6 years program in the country NEOMED stopped that few years back. Only UMKC, Howard few exceptions. But UMKC makes the killing by charging MD fees for all the 6 years.

Other factor differs is any work experience. Unlike the past / majority, some of the BS/MD population, simply go to HS, College and enter medical school. But many would have started part time job at 16. It does not matter what work, but it gives experience on how to deal with people, confrontations, issues.

The difference between BS/MD and Regular students is more on maturity / experience than academic capability.
Guessing my D is going to be the youngest in her class coming fall. Though I feel she is matured, I feel lack of experience, at times concerns me. You can not buy or learn experience like taking a Calc or Bio class.

I worry about this at times also, but our kids have all done more in high school then most. How many high school kids out there have juggled hospital and community volunteering, EMT, doctor shadowing, significant research, school ECs, sports and kept up superior grades? I feel like, in many ways, the kids who are accepted into these programs have done a lot of the work up front. They will continue to deepen and broaden their experience in college. Most of them will hold jobs, do research, get internships over the summers. Many of the kids who need gap years wonā€™t have that kind of experience and will be making up for it later.

None of this is certain and only time will tell.

And remember - very, very few people fail out of medical school.

@HPMEhopeful
Congratulations on both HPME and PLME. Awesome achievement, you probably have some IVY acceptances too I believe. Enjoy the journey.

@motivat
I do not much about Brooklyn.

We loved Hofstra medical school.
It has the advantage of 22 Hospital Northwell system.
Their residency matches are good.

We had concerns on Hofstra undergrad - we concluded it was too easy / not adequately rigorous for my D.

Folks

I do NOT worry too much about maturity.
Two things work in kids growing up:

• they are away from home and that forces them to take decisions and live through their consequences.
  • they learn to handle folks of different backgrounds on their own terms

So, I think we can trust our kids to do well in medical school.

@GoldenRock, @gallentjill

:smile: yes, you said what I intended to. D is doing a part time on-campus job in a store at or slightly above minimum wage. She wants to do it on her own and we are fine with that since it allows her to develop people skills, appreciate the value of money, time and effort and also be able to get better with time management juggling between studies and work. Also keeps her away from some of her filthy rich party beasts friends :wink: She is preparing for some full fledged research in summer and beyond so that enhances her horizon. Had been to study abroad in the summer of freshman year and will be off to another one next spring. Hopefully all these will add to her maturity, outlook, experience, life skills et al.