Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@ ZacharyGelfond This whole BS/MD process is very unpredictable so there is always a chance. Wish you GL.

@ZacharyGelfond

I donā€™t think Afghani is ORM. Your healthcare related ECs are definitely top notch. However, you are somewhat lacking in research and some programs might not consider you due to the low SAT and ranking. A lot of BS/MD students have 1600s and are top 1% in class etc. But, if you can express your interest strong enough through your essays you definitely have a chance.

@8thgradekid Afganistan is part of Asia. It is a neighbor to Pakistan and India. How did you come to this conclusion ? I do not think they have quota based on individual nationalities.

@ZacharyGelfond Your situation is unique and donā€™t be surprised if things go in the right direction. Apply broadly.
Also continue your passion and prepare for the regular MD route if nothing happens in BS/MD.

Hey everyone! Iā€™m applying in a couple of years and just wanted to know if Iā€™m on the right track for Bs/Md schools!

GPA:
4.4 Weighted GPA after sophomore (looking for 4.65 by the time I apply)
3.90 Unweighted GPA after sophomore year (looking for 3.94 by the time I apply)

Competitive HS and one of the top in the country

SAT:
Currently 1250
Need 1550
Improvement 300 points
Around 150 hours ~ 3 hours a week starting from June

SAT Subject Tests:
Chem End of Sophomore Year
Math || End of Junior Year

AP Classes:
None as a freshman (school wouldnā€™t let anyone take any)
AP Comp Sci P sophomore year, Engineering Honors, Geometry Honors
AP Biology, AP Physics 1, APUSH, AP Micro, Pre- Calc Honor (junior)
AP Chem, AP Calc BC, AP

Volunteering: Subject to Change (by the time I apply)
100 Hours Lutheran Home (200+?)
50 Hours Class Board (100)
100 Hours NorthWest Hospital (100)
25 Hours Library (25)
25 Hours Inner View Volunteering (40)
20 Hours Give A Thon (60)
Looking to become EMT
Peer tutor (science classes, AP Biology AP Physics, Chem Acc) havent started, thatā€™s next year

Volunteering/work that sets me apart:
Red Cross volunteering in other countries (havenā€™t started)
Internships / research studies (applying to a few. Looking for 300+ hours by the time I apply)
Medical camps (Dr. Rubinā€™s medical school)

Leadership:
PE Leader
Lead events in Lutheran Home
Lead events in Class Board

Awards:
World Championship Robotics
Design and State Award Robotics
Ambassador in Volunteering

Clubs: Eboard is a high leadership role in the club
4 Years Vex Robotics
2 Years NHS
3 Years Debate Team (Goals: Varsity, EBOARD?)
3 Years Class Board (Goals: EBOARD)
2 Years (Maybe HOSA?)

Colleges: 15 - 20 Schools (6-8 Undergrad, 12-15 BS/MD)

Undergrad
Northwestern
UChicago
UIUC

BS/MD (to name a few)
UKMC
Miami Ohio
Toledo
Drexel
Case Western
Northwestern HPME (would love to go, stay close to family, but HIGH reach)
Brown PLME (HIGH reach)
UIC GPPA (reach)

Just looking for some advice! Am I on the right track? This means a lot to me, so thank you to whoever in advance!

@grtd2010
Agree.
However the specialties you mention have very few seats e.g radiation oncology has less than 16 seats.
For dermatology, you need an average of 7 research papers to be even considered.
Even in non- competitive family and internal medicine, your chances are very low if you get <225 in step1.
I know of cases of students with high MCAT (>36 in old system) who messed up the Step 1 and had to settle for internal medicine.

@ZacharyGelfond
Your SAT score is on the lower side.
Even for non-ORM candidates, I have not seen or heard about a <1500 SAT or < 32 ACT getting interview calls.

Other credentials are competitive.

All the best.

@RedMan108
All the best for PLME interview.
Last year, they did NOT send alumni interview requests to all PLME candidates.

did you apply early decision plme? @RedMan108

Is it better to go to an okay bs/md (kind of unknown) versus a decent premed undergrad?

@NoviceDad Even for less competitive bs/md programs like Rowan and VCU?

@ZacharyGelfond

You have a chance at VCU:

This is what VCU has on their website: ā€œApplications were received from more than 600 qualified high school seniors for the fall 2018 entering freshman class. In late March, 30 students received an acceptance letter. The average unweighted GPA of these student was a 3.94 and their SAT scores ranged from 1360 to 1580 (critical reading and math) with an average of 1495. ACT composite scores ranged from 31 to 36 with an average of 34. In addition, accepted candidates had accumulated an average of 400 hours of healthcare-related experience.ā€

Rowan: I believe Rowan has just 3 seats for its BS/MD.
It may be very competitive.

@themedgirl1 Yes, once you submit your commonapp to tcnj, they will email you with a link to open an account for the tcnj portal and they make the 7 year supplemental questions available on the portal for you. Once you receive this second email regarding the 7 year medical program, you have 2 weeks to submit the responses.

@ZacharyGelfond Hello Zachary, I am not the most qualified to tell you the outcomes of your stats, but your extracurriculars seem very strong and make for some great essay topics. However, your GPA and SAT score arenā€™t very competitive, considering you are an ORM. You still have a chance at some programs, since every admissions council is looking for something different in their applicants. Itā€™s hard to say, however.

@neurochic
If you are very determined to be doctor, a BS/MD route may be beneficial.
Note: according of a small sample that someone had posted last year, about 50+ students took a drop Year after their undergrad to strengthen their profile/ application.

Look for residency matches to determine if a medical school is ā€œgoodā€ or ā€œokā€.

@neurochic
I meant 50% +

Have SAT2 math2 (score 800 )+ Physics(800) + Biology(800) and AP Chemistry. But HPME program needs SAT2 scores of math2 + Chemistry. Any exception/chance to get admission without taking Sat2 Chemistry exam?

And the gap year(s) ranged from 1-3 years and not necessarily with successful outcomes according to the same statistic, I think it was posted by @upstream, if you want to search for.

Few students I know currently or have had are pursuing either an accelerated or full masters to make their candidacy to med schools attractive / stronger.

@ā€œvikings hiccupā€
Unlikely given that NW places a great emphasis on chemistry. You may stand a chance if you have a 5 on AP Chem and a very strong recommendation from your chemistry teacher. You may want to call up the program folks directly and enquire.

@vikings hiccup, NW HPME app has two dropdowns to report Math2 and Chemistry. No option to report other scores. However, I heard from one of the HPME students that she has seen few admitted w/o Chemistry (I have not seen them personally). I assume if the other accomplishments (Research??) are spectacular, they may consider w/o MAtch2 and Chem.