Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@PPofEngrDr @NoviceDad @srk2017 @rk2017 @GoldenRock and whomever wishes to share their thoughts - DS is selecting between BU SMED, UConn SPiM, Temple PPHS, and RPI/AMC. We’re comfortable deferring and not pursuing Notre Dame, Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Brown UG, and WashU for BSMD. That being said, we’re from NY. DS has preference for BU, citing a good vibe/fit.

While I do like BU SMED (I’m actually ok with all of the options) and COA is doable, short-term is a little intimidating given other options with significant scholarship awards. However, can be rationalized that being a 7-year program, theoretically gain one year of physician career income which can make up for COA (albeit $ goes into his pocket vs parents?). Is this the wrong way of looking at it?

BU SMED

•      MCAT >80% combined

•      >3.2 overall and science GPA

•      No med school interview

•      No interview required

•      3+4 (7-year program)

•      Boston – college town

•      Very good vibe per DS

•      (No scholarship; full-tuition)

UConn SPiM

•      MCAT >80%, (>55% each section)

•      >3.6 overall GPA

•      (Interview and letter of recommendation required for medical school)

•      $20K/year scholarship

•      Good vibe per DS

Temple PPHS

•      MCAT >508 (~80%) (>126 each section)

•      >3.6 overall and science GPA

•      (Interview required for medical school)

•      Full-tuition scholarship/year

•      8 year program encouraged (3+4, 7-year program optional) – not critical

•      Philadelphia – area not the greatest; able to live in nicer area of Philadelphia during medical school

•      Lukewarm vibe per DS

RPI-AMC

•      No MCAT

•      >3.5 overall and science GPA each semester

•      No interview required

•      3+4 (7-year program)

•      $32K/year scholarship

•      Strong basic science research

•      Troy and Albany-lukewarm vibe per DS

Thanks for everyone’s time and consideration!

@GoldenRock , is it possible to modify the message after 15 minutes passed?

@bsmdseekerskg - I believe 15 min is the limit and can’t be modified. But I may be wrong…

@grtd2010 I have seen just few days back your message was edited well after 15 minutes, believe it was few hours. I may be wrong, my eyes may have deceived me, but I had read it few times and realize that is weird as I also see 15 minutes limit to edit a posted message.

@OldSchoolMD
It is a no brainer, he should follow the foot steps of both of his parents and bring further glory to the institutions they attended and brought fame to. Buy him a good car like Tesla or something and he can drive home whenever he feels like and got time.

-deleted

@OldSchoolMD Which others are non-binding besides UConn SPiM? From message it seems cost is a non-factor. Take it to next level of investigation, what are research opportunities that your son may have interest to for those colleges? reading another post, it sounds like you are a BU alum, if that is the case, how that hook may help your son to get his choices within BU environment?

@OldSchoolMD - As I said before, counting 1 year salary by doing 7 year is kind of silly :smile: As you know there is no retirement age for doctors and no fixed hours also. So if they really want to make money they can makeup that easily,

I would decide between RPI/AMC and BU (those are the two my son got too 2 years back :smile: with limited apps) . If he liked Troy and Albany I would go with RPI/AMC and save the money. In our case my son didn’t like Troy and would have picked BU (despite $25k RPI scholarship). Also, aren’t you RPI alumni?

@rk2017 - Thanks. LOL. Maybe my wife as she did the RPI/AMC back when it was a 6 year program. I was just at RPI and went the traditional route (6 year program was too intense for me).

@PPofEngrDr - UConn is the only non-binding program of the four. I would say cost is a minor factor, not necessarily a ‘non-factor’ (which is why my wife and I were hoping he would be excited about Temple, which he liked but not as much as BU).? I’m an RPI alumni and my wife is RPI/AMC alumni. He’s open to any research at the moment.

@srk2017 - Just trying to rationalize the extra COA. While what you say is true, one would have to consciously strive to do what you suggest (e.g. work extra hours, extra year(s), etc.). He wasn’t floored by Troy/Albany, at least not compared to Boston or Philadelphia.

@gallentjill @grtd2010 - please feel free to chime in as well. From your previous posts, I would welcome your opinion. Thanks.

@OldSchoolMD

Since cost is not a factor, I would recommend BU over RPI/AMC though your DS will have to work harder at BU for gpa and MCAT requirements… My 2 cents!! We liked the BU experience at the time of interview though not lucky!!

@motivat I’m curious why you think a student would have to work harder at BU for GPA. My understanding is that there is no grade inflation at RPI.

@OldSchoolMD - Not easy to rationalize the COA. Imagine 150K at 7% compounded over 30 years and pick RPI/AMC. You can say decision is based on family legacy LOL

How is it 150k? And how is it compounded at 7% over 30 years?

@OldSchoolMD simple 2 factors, cost is not a major factor, student like BU over others, 3.2 GPA requirement is not that tough to maintain. Worst case scenario, if student performs super duper, can forfeit SMED seat, parents have paid UG price for Boston vibe and student go to better med school. I would go with BU. You would have in house Red Sox rivalry for rest of life. :smiley:

@PPofEngrDr - I know a case of failing to meet 3.2 GPA at BU recently. I don’t want to give details out of privacy for that girl.

@gallentjill - I heard from current 7 year SMED student (Currently in 5th year) that hub requirements and grade deflation make 3.2 comparable to 3.6 at other universities (This is just one person’s opinion)

@motivat, make it 3.7 (I gave this equation in last year’s thread itself).
In how many programs do top students who perhaps never got less than an A- till then end up with one or more C/C+ s in the 1st year of the program itself?

@rk2017 how do you compare BU 3.7 scale
With Upitt 3.75 and hpme 3.7 gpa requirements ?

UPitt 3.75 is pretty easy to maintain. HPME probably as well. BU 3.7 is a little harder, but not unattainable.

I don’t see why there is so much discourse over which schools have “easy to maintain” GPAs. You’re all med students, and if you were taking the traditional path, you would most probably have to maintain at least a 3.8 or a 3.9, preferably a 4.0. A 3.75 in comparison is substantially easier to maintain. Are you planning to slack off as a student? Do you feel like you deserve a place in your program if you don’t plan to work your hardest? Would your future patient want you to be the doctor who “just tried to maintain the minimum GPA?” We are, in this thread, some of the most elite of premeds; there should be very little issue maintaining an A- level GPA at any school.

@trustybsms

I would say tougher than Pitt’s 3.8. And NU’s 3.7. But engineering at NU may be as tough or even tougher, if someone opts that path (I think they are flexible with what one studies at undergrad).
Also one must be aware of something specific to the smed program. They have a specific science subject exclusively for the kids in that program in 1st year (2 semesters) taught by a tough Prof. Grading is brutal, if not properly prepared at high school level, and relative. That’s where many kids in the program end up getting low grades, probably in both the semesters. So traditional route kids need not be worried about that subject.