Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@DSOF20192023 @vmt1975 @rk2017 @srk2017

Rice/Baylor: 2533 applications for BS/MD; 199 applications sent to Baylor; 25 called for interview; 6 admitted
PennState/Jeff: >3000 applications; 800 jointly reviewed with Jeff; 100 called for interview; 25 admitted

@hoop897
Re: Weightage of essays: Among equally qualified candidates, your essay is THE way to stand out. I would emphasize it carries a lot of weight.

Having said that, you need to first clear the “objective” criteria hurdle - for example, if all applicants (except you) have >=34 in ACT & >=3.95 GPA and you have a score of 30 in ACT and 3.5 GPA, no amount of great essays will help you (unless you have hook which they cannot ignore e.g. Nobel prize or Olympic Gold medal or phone call from the their biggest donor to the Dean).

@neurochic I am not going to accept it. Too many red flags in my opinion. What about you?

@NoviceDad,
Penn State accepts only 25? I thought that is their intake, so probably accepting more like ~50 with the intent around 25 will enroll … Have they reduced their enrollment into the program lately?

@rk2017 @NoviceDad I heard 45 number last year (from the student attending now)

@rk2017

They do no have a waitlist - so, you are right they probably send acceptances to about 50.

@rk2017 25 admits

@NoviceDad, @DSOF20192023, got it, thanks!

Does anyone know when RPI/AMC emails come if you took CASPer on Nov 20th?

@123wz321
It is usually 3 weeks

@123wz321 If I am not mistaken, this is the first year AMC introduced CASper. Furthermore, RPI does not receive CASper score and the timeline for supplementals depends on when RPI forwards the app to AMC. I believe most of the applicants forwarded by RPI to AMC receive the supplementals. So, it is possible (my guess) that Casper may not have any impact on supplementals. However, AMC would consider Casper for inviting one to interview. You might want to call AMC to check the official stand/status.

Hello, Penn State interviews are probably out as they are having the interview on just one day in Jan this year (similar to last year but a month ahead). Did anyone get the interview note?

@RedMan108 Penn state portal still showing that D application is under review.We are OOS.Did many applicants received interview notifications?

@RedMan108 , @Whitecane , My D received interview notification more than a week ago. Interview scheduled on Jan 16th (looks like only one day for everyone). We are OOS for penn state.

@NoviceDad so I would expect to receive some sort of supplement if forwarded to AMC by RPI around Dec 10? If I am not forwarded to AMC will I be notified also or is it only if you are forwarded?

@123wz321
I do NOT know.
I suggest you to call RPI and/or AMC admissions office.

@cy2019bsmd How did you guys get the notification? Was it through the portal of physical mail, because my portal still says that my application is under review.

@BigMan1234-- By email, Interview at SKMC for PMM

@123wz321 AMC says that they receive forwarded application from RPI in batches. So don’t worry if you don’t receive a supplemental right away. All supplemental applications should be sent out prior to December 21, however.

@cy2019bsmd Were you guys in state or OOS. My application says it is still under review and I’m wondering if that means I did not get the invite for the interview.

Hey! I’m new around here :slight_smile:

I had a question about Washington & Jefferson/Temple Univ’s LKSOM application. I got the email inviting me to apply, but none of the essays seem to have word limits, and I can’t find any more information on their website. I’d appreciate any help!