Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Since this thread started getting traction for this year, here are few points to keep in mind.

1. Prepare a solid application package, submit. The moment you pressed submit, accept you are REJECTED. Move on in your life and do the routine stuff you do, day in and day out. Take care of your finals for this semester and enjoy your holidays. Do whatever you are passionate, volunteer work or preparation for your club/science/speech/history or any events/competition etc Don't allow this BS/MD process to get in your way or well being. Especially to parents. Not only you are getting stressed out and unconsciously passing that to the poor student. Follow this rule later for regular MD cycle also after 4 years. It is a long cycle and so difficult to predict. Wait till April 23rd. If something worked out by then enjoy. If not, decide the new strategy and finalize the college to go by May 1st.
  2. Delicate the work to parents to follow and communicate if needed. Following posts takes up lot of time and it is not worth. Parents can do the administrative work without influencing students choice/desire on what career to choose or explore in college.
  3. Last but not least, by nature we continue to look primarily the GPA and Test scores and keep questioning, why I did not get supplemental to apply or why I did not get interview and why I did not get selected. it is the TOTAL PACKAGE. In that GPA and Scores are some factors but not THE ONLY FACTORS. Whatever activities you have done with the level of passion and depth in the last many years (not checklists), how solid your essays / prompts, interviews, strength of other applicants in the pool, and whatever each college feels more important and their selection criteria.

Well said @GoldenRock :slight_smile:

@sajju786

we received Penn interview by email

Thanks @GoldenStateDad

Reg scholarships, I am noticing that most of the UG schools are giving some kind of scholarship. My S received full to partial from OU, UAB, Penn, VCU, etc. He is an NMS but I can not say if it’s due to NMS or not. We certainly do not qualify for need-based. So, if you are a sophomore or junior, you may want to give your best to PSAT. Your parents will be happy :slight_smile:

Haven’t been on in a while but just a note for the above-

NMSF and NMF are pretty huge- a lot of mid-tier programs give out additional scholarships for them (Alabama, OU etc.)

However, a lot of top programs don’t give out anything. I know extremely intelligent people (valedictorian, salutatorian, Siemens SF etc.) who got into top 30 med-programs (BU, NW, Brown PLME) without getting a cent.

So at the end of the day, it mainly comes out to cost: would you rather go to a low-mid tier program while paying a lot less than compared to a top-tier program?

Wash Jeff needs 300$ deposit to secure a spot in undergrad before they allow u to apply for med scholar program .
Is there anyway to get around that ?

@GreenPoison,

Welcome back, long time no see, looks like they are keeping you real busy at TCNJ? Good for you and your friends there :slight_smile:

While your premise above is correct in general, two exceptions. Pitt and cwru give out merit aid for undergrad, independent of selection into their programs. But then you need to spend an extra year to get an MD.

Don’t know about merit awards at UAB, but I consider that a “top-tier” med school too. But they seem to heavily favor in state and regional candidates in their selections.

If you are alluding to US News rankings by “top 30”, if I remember correctly Brown PLME is not in top 30 according to them. :))
(The pun is intended at usnews not plme)

@GoldenStateDad What scholarship did your son receive from Penn? I thought they gave very little UG scholarships.

@BigMan1234 My Bad, I meant Pitts (not Penn). For Penn, we just received Interview notification.

@FutureSurgeon27 Did you have an interview for the Toledo program or the admission was just based on App?

[QUOTE=""]

Since this thread started getting traction for this year, here are few points to keep in mind.

[/QUOTE]

@GoldenRock,

Very well put! =D>

For both parents and students, this is your (or child’s) last year in school. College is a different ball park. So now is kind of unique in it’s own outstanding right. Get the best out of this year, spend time with your buddies whom you may not get to see much few months later, enjoy the things and activities you enjoy the most and unique to your schools and communities. Of course put your best efforts in the apps and your current studies (colleges don’t like seniorities) and let the chips fall where they may. Nothing is terribly wrong if you get a few disappointments here and there. You all have a long long road ahead and I am sure multiple doors of opportunities will open up for those as talented and inspired as you all are.

Don’t let unnecessary thoughts and botherations ruin your present.

@diaash

Hi, for w&j, where does it state that there is a $300 fee requirement before they allow you to apply for medical scholar?

I just see this “Click on the link in the Forms section below to submit your Admission Reply Form along with your $300 deposit by May 1.”

thx

@whitecane FYI, Most medical schools require only 1 year of math (calculus I and calculus II). MCAT examination does not allow use of calculator ( All required calculations are supposed to be done in your head or on scratch paper provided). The multi-variable calculus, linear algebra, differential equations etc are used in Engineering courses if one decides to pursue them. Most of these schools do not have staff or time to do any detailed analysis of the rigor of the math/science courses taken in high school.

When does UMKC start releasing information?

@grtd2010 @rk2017 @Mahikesh
Rutgers data includes DO admissions
I think a majority of sub 3.5 GPA are admitted to DO.
Rowan alone had 52 DO admissions I.e ~20% of the class.

@whitecane
Every college has a policy that they apply to AP courses. Some give you complete waiver while others like Northwestern want you to take a higher level course.
So, the college your child is admitted speak with the coursework guides .

Folks

Further to what @GoldenRock and @rk2017 have said —

Very few BS/MD programs give you scholarships.
Assume you are NOT getting it.
And work out your options -

• whether BS/ MD is still in play?
  • if yes, which colleges are a definite NO
  • if no, what is the regular route going to look

Atleast parents should work these scenarios out.

Always keep in mind 95% of students get to medical school via the traditional route.

@NoviceDad These BS/MD programs do offer some level of merit scholarship (10-30K) once accepted by the undergraduate college. U Pitt, CWRU, Drexel, VCU, George Washington, OU, Hofstra, RPI/AMC, Temple, U Cincinnati.

@biomeds
Yes, they do

The question is on scenario analysis- what if you are the unlucky one and do NOT get a scholarship? What are your potential course of action?