Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@whitecane : Did RPI say that they are going to continue with your D’s application for undergrads admission?

@vmt1975 yes they said that are interested in reviewing her application for undergraduate admissions.They gave a link and she has to write a 250 word essay why rpi?

@GoldenStateDad, Congratulations on Penn state and Rpi

@whitecane, congratulations on NW and Upitt supplements, when did you apply for Upitt

@diaash

Applied to RPI-AMC around mid-Oct

@cy2019bsmd

Thank you.

@cy2019bsmd Thank you.I remember that pitt gap supplemental was given somewhere 3rd week of Nov after getting acceptance in undergraduate.

Do the schools let u know either way ? I haven’t heard from Rpi or penn state at all, I applied in the last week of oct to both the schools

It is good sign that still you are in the race @diaash All the best.

@diaash , I called RPI and they told me that still they are reviewing the applications… and not to worry… Thx

@diaash We also did not receive anything from Penn or RPI/AMC yet… I emailed the admissions today for both of the programs for update on applicaiton…Lets see what they have to say…

@sajju786 and @diaash , We are in the same situation…Hope for the best…

@GoldenStateDad How are you receiving the Penn State Interview is it via email or regular mail?
Thanks,

@whitecane,
RPI is a good school, so based on your physical location may not be bad option for traditional route if need be. As someone pointed out a while ago they are proactively trying to admit girls. One of the students that I know, not in pre med track though, got close to 30k/year leadership award for all 4 years. She was still reluctant to go there due to the grade deflation and chose Northeastern instead.
As I understand the preliminary courses in BMPC in the first year are very tough, but subsequent higher level courses are not that bad. So someone with a lot of AP credits, will skip them and may not be an issue. Perhaps @upstream or anyone else with direct knowledge can chime in.

@rk2017
Thank you very much for your input.This thread became like a second family to me.Will definitely have our option open for RPI.
I have a question…when universities say 16 or 17 core requirements for any particular program…are they going take the gpa from only those core requirements or they value highschool transcript for gpa? Example umkc which has 17 core requirements…will gpa be calculated for those 17 ? My D transcript has 5 math courses from algebra 1 to AP cal bc till jr yr. 6th math course is multivariable calculus sr yr which is not yet ready to go on transcript. So when umkc needs 4 units of math how are going to pick from these 5 or 6 units.Sorry for lengthy discussion but my frustration is building up when I see kids who have a rigorous curriculum with few freshman B’s pulling uw gpa down.

@whitecane,

There is a umkc thread under the Multiple degree forum here. You just have to go one level above in your link and you should see it. That may be the right forum for getting your questions.

Not all programs look only for GPA uw numbers alone. As I mentioned few months ago on this forum, on the academics side BU for example looks deeper about rigor and how much you have challenged yourself, how you are progressing year over year etc. So hopefully things may not be as bad as it may seem to be at the moment …

Yes I understand this inst a guaranteed acceptance program, That’s why I pointed that out in my last post, But I received a letter of acceptance into the program.

@FutureSurgeon27 Congratulations was the letter from University Toledo, Is it general University admission or specific form PreHealth Bac2 MD Program…Thanks

@WGSK88

Don’t have to be NM finalist to get some other merit aids and they are equally good. See the link below. But note, applications have early deadline (Dec 15) for merit aids. That is common in most other univerities also. There will be many scholarship and it may have a different deadline from the normal UG deadlines.

http://www.ou.edu/admissions/affordability/scholarships

Note: National Merit status has no bearing to BS/MD program selection either in OU or any where. It is only for getting merit aid. There are many schools still provide merit aid for NMS. Google and do research since things change every year.

@GoldenRock @wgsk88 OU does provide a very generous full tuition scholarship for 5 yrs ( undergrad and grad) for NMF students. That being said applying early will help get other merit based scholarships at mos of the universities.

Thanks @grtd2010 … very useful