Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

[QUOTE=""]

So many variations in these BS/MD admissions

[/QUOTE]

@DSOF20192023,

Yes, that’s correct. While UAB’s is a great program, they seem to heavily favor in state, followed by regional candidates. Perhaps that explains why so few apply to the program despite the med school’s terrific reputation. So if they have more than sufficient applicants from the state and region, chances are they may not accommodate others even with terrific ecs and stats. Nothing one can do about it. So let’s face the uncertainties as they are and hope for the best. And more importantly not be disappointed if things don’t work out as per our hopes. Good luck and hope a good number of you will get interviews from UAB and elsewhere.

@123wz321 in the morning as per last year

@ZacharyGelfond seems like it wont be today then since there is only 1 hr left till noon.

@123wz321 According to the above posts, someone callee uab and they said they may release today.

Those Drexel numbers are not very hopeful. At least they don’t automatically forward everyone, but its still a really small percentage that gets an interview. I hope they let people know soon.

@diaash
Spring breaks happen at different times in Northeast.
Last year PSU/Jeff, Temple & Drexel had interviews in Feb

@rk2017 my concern is not the outcome of the selection but the process and IT systems that supports them.

UAB - One UG admissions person says application status is not complete, hence not in the list of applications processed by medical school. She even said she can not do any thing about it since Dec 17th deadline has passed. Another person gives a different answer. When email is sent through their website, second person confirmed what she said in phone - that application is complete and is being processed.

Upitt - notifications for selected applicants are made in mail only (no email or phone). So if mail is lost or delivered to a wrong address (which happens), then that opportunity may be lost. They even do not update status of UG application in web site. You have to download an app and can see there.

@DSOF20192023

Reg Upitt- they do send an email with a customized video. It was very cool as the video was custom made with the pictures/names reflecting my DS name are the areas/research that he is interested in. I was told that they send such video link to everyone accepted.

Reg UAB: Did you check the portal before the deadline if the status was complete, or is that that it was all green and then they changed it to red after the deadline?

For next year applicants - My experience so far is to be proactive and reach out to the admin office BEFORE the deadline to make sure they have all required material in place. I know it’s difficult for an HS student with so many activities going on but that’s where the parents and other family/friends could step in and monitor/track.

Junior HS parent here - I am already stressed just reading what you all are going through. Good luck to all of you. Please keep the notes/must dos coming - very helpful group of parents/students on this forum.

@GoldenStateDad…agree 100% with your recommendations, had to call the admin office for many programs to confirm they received the application for my son.

@GoldenStateDad - Did Upitt send interview invites? Is that the video you are talking about?

@bamd

No, it’s for Upitt UG acceptance only. SOM Interview invites are likely to come out towards the end of Jan (based on last year results)

We submitted my D application on DEC 15 deadline to Hofstra, we didn’t hear any feedback yet. The portal showing application under review, is anyone got the BSMD supplemental for Hofstra?

@GoldenStateDad…Just called SBU and my son’s portal showing that they did not receive high school transcript when it should have been downloaded form the Common App… had to talk with the counselor to see it gets downloaded…have to call to these programs to make sure your application is complete.

Nothing is unusual. Unfortunately none of the schools making any improvements in the application process. Schools who have the process to send base application or LOR or Transcripts to another office (besides the UG office) should be given grade F. Starting with Northwestern, UPitt, UAB, etc etc… Only supplemental application and fees should be asked separately. Other than that, there is no reason, why they can not forward with the current technology and infrastructure.

During BS/MD cycle, students need some admin support from Parents and parents should be on top of keeping track, checking portal etc., But during the next phase when applying for MD or whatever process BS/MD students need to do after 3 or 4 years, believe me, students will not be asking your help. So bear with the process and enjoy the ride.

Fun fact: When Miami had BS/MD, they asked to send POSTAL mail for the supplemental app since students MUST affix a Photo in the application!

@Nansand At least one person had mentioned that their application was forwarded to the Hofstra med school, sometime in the second half of December.

From Hofstra brochure - Application Timeline

Apply Early Action to Hofstra University Apply by November 15 for Early Action 1 or December 15 for Early Action 2.
Beginning Jan 5th Qualified applicants receive 4+4 Supplemental Application (via email)
February 1 Submit completed 4+4 Supplemental Application
Early March Interview with Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine**
April 1 Receive final decision by mail
**Only select students will be invited to interview.
No decision notifications will be given to students, admitted or not, until April 1.

@GoldenRock

UPitt - I am talking about invites for submitting supplementary essays. Those requests were sent only in mail (no email or phone call or web site status update). UG - mail and email (no status update in web site though you can see it in UPitt app).

@GoldenRock

Regarding UAB - we checked it and was the same status even before application submission and later also. Recommendations were showing received in Oct itself but the final recommendation status shows is not compete for them and also application. We thought it is similar to UMKC taking time to process and show them as complete.

Lesson learned.

Happened to me with Temple. I thought they had my scores and just weren’t updating. Turns out they lost them and I think it made my app late.