Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Rejected. I tried hard for that one – oh well.

This month will be the longest month for all of the BSMD families. You only need one YES and you have UG school for back up. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t get in.

Only 5% of all Med students go through BSMD route, you’re at least top10% in your school so you will be fine with UG and get in your top choice of Med school. There’s also luck so you can only try your best, I tell our D that.

Did you hear from Siena/Albany after turning in the supplement?

Thanks to grtd2010!

Agree with @Kitty1002 - When you look at the chances of getting in to a medical school via traditional route vs BS/MD route, the chances are almost same. The BS/MD route has more risks involved then traditional route. Here is my analysis.

Example: Brown University
BS/MD applicants: 2600, acceptances:60,
Percent accepted: 2.3%

Pre-med applicants: 6988, matriculates: 143 (acceptances may be double)
Percent accepted: 2.0 to 4.0%

The risks with BS/MD route:

• BS/MD student pay more for undergraduate tuition. If the same student tries other good undergraduate schools, they will most likely get free ride.
  • Some of the the undergraduate schools offering BS/MD program are average / below average schools
  • Some of the BS/MD programs are not 100% guaranteed, they may need MCAT or interview before admitted to MD program, which is more risky,

Not all opportunities are right for you, so, don’t worry about the missed opportunity, you will have better opportunity later.

I was recently accepted into The Rutgers Newark College of Arts and Sciences but have not yet received any update on the BA/MD status. Does anyone have an idea of when those interview notification will come out?

@bsmdseekerskg Although the BSMD acceptance rate and the MD acceptance rate may be similar, it is still worth trying the BSMD route first (if the student is convinced that he/she wants to be a doctor), as there are so many vagaries in the MD admission process. Moreover, a large number of the MD acceptances involve students who have spent 1-2 additional years in some kind of post-bacc programs (or worked in research labs, etc) after completing their BS.

Anybody have any insight on university of south alabama eap program (bs/md)? Acceptance rate, program quality, medical school quality, how many are interviewed/accepted?

@ZacharyGelfond We did not apply and hence did not do much research. Because it is restricted to Alabama and few counties of few neighboring states only. Definitely overall it will be behind UAB in all aspects. For IS students it may be worth considering and applying.

@GoldenRock I believe it is in state preference not restriction, but thank you.

@ZacharyGelfond you said VCU was going to be on 1/10, could you link the thread last year where it said that?

“Example: Brown University
BS/MD applicants: 2600, acceptances:60,
Percent accepted: 2.3%”

I could be wrong, since I haven’t been following that program for a while now. But acceptance != 60 or 2.3%. That is the intake of the program* or enrollment. They probably accept about 100 or even more of which around 60 will enroll eventually. Someone had posted the statistics here a while ago or you can check their website.

• Not accounting for the particularly low ORM intake there. Would love to hear directly from some one in the program in that regard.

@123wz321 yes last year vcu released 1/10 and wayne state will also release BY 1/10 this year. On the vcu gmed website however it states that interviews will release by the end of January.

@GoldenRock and other experienced members

Any thoughts on UAB and how good it is? I searched for the last couple of years but did not find much info on UAB, quality of education, med school reputation etc. , perhaps due to low acceptance rate. My DS is not very excited about spending 7-8 years there (2nd from the bottom in US cities to live per 2017 analysis).

@bsmdseekerskg @bsmd14 @rk2017 @Kitty1002

There are many ways to look at cost of education especially Medical education.

I have outlined one perspective below:

Typical BS/MD (without aid) costs $400K to $700K.
Outside of Texas resident in-state tuition, medical schools costs range from $200K to $400K, with $300-$350 being the “medianish” number.

The difference between BS/MD and regular MD is the cost of undergrad - basically, you may get a free ride in a regular program whereas most BS/MD program make you pay the full amount for the undergrad.
This difference ranges from $60K (instate tuition) to $280K (Brown) with most being in $150K to $200K.

Let’s take the “extra” $200K and compare with the benefits:

• you my be able to complete your medical education in 7 vs 8 years - potential benefit of 1 year
  • you may be part of the >50% students who may have to take a 1-2 drop years after regular undergrad and you save that doing BS/MD. Let’s calculate the expected value with these percentages (you can play with these percentages):
    50% students = 0 drop year
    30% students = 1 drop year
    20% students = 2 drop years
    the expected value = 0.5* 0 + 0.30* 1 + 0.20* 2 = 0.70 years

So, just factoring the above 2 items, you potentially save 1.7 years by following the BS/MD route.

So, how much a doctor earns in 1.7 years?
I think more than the 200K “extra” that you spend upfront.

So, I tell parents of my counselees, do your math about BS/MD and get comfortable with the cost of medical education and marry that your overall objectives and goals.
As they say, there are no right or wrong answers.

@GoldenStateDad

Check out the UAB medical school match list.
In 2018, 42% of students matched to a primary care residency.
For me, this means the strength of the medical program is average.

Secondly, do factor the location while selecting the school. Your child will spend 7-8 years in that environment and if he is not comfortable, respect that. I know a med school student doing rotations in “semi-urban” parts of North/NorthEast. This person hates every day of that rotation. Fortunately it is a very limited period - few months and not 7-8 years.
Location was one factor when we decided NOT to apply to Baylor/Baylor.

Culturally, I believe it is diametrically opposite to California. And if you are from the Bay area or LA region, it may feel you have traveled a few decades in the past. The vibrancy simply is not there.

Also, opportunities in Alabama are fewer. I will not call that state a growth state.

Just my 2cents.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. It has been so helpful! I got the interview offer yesterday :slight_smile:
@GoldenStateDad About Bham (I live nearby and spend considerable time in the city). While it does have its faults, Bham is a great city! There are so many things to do along with many wonderful restaurants for all price ranges. There are also places to go where you can slow down and relax without the hustle and bustle of the city. I won’t go into it, but many more aspects make Bham a great place to live and it’s possible your daughter will end up loving it once she gets to know the city! A place is whatever you make of it :slight_smile:
About UAB. I’m not sure exactly how strong undergrad education is, but Honors College provides an excellent pathway that makes it much more personalized for the student. Pairing HC with EMSAP will make undergrad a strong educational experience. UAB Medical School is highly ranked.

@GoldenStateDad - When my D got a rejection email from UAB, she had a big relief :slight_smile:

Also one of my relatives came from bay area to Upitt for 8 year program leaving Stanford admission, she hated her stay here, though she liked the program itself.

@NoviceDad

Thank you. I thought UAB is a good med school (on par with BU, Penn, etc), especially with research opportunities. Also, they gave scholarship too (though not a significant amount at this time)

Yes, the location will be one of the key factors in the final decision. We are from Silicon Valley :slight_smile: