To All Our CC Friends and Family in Sandy's Path

<p>I hope that everyone stays safe during the storm and the aftermath. If April 27th, 2011 taught me anything, it’s that together people can triumph over adversity. Hopefully this storm will pass sooner rather than later and that everything will be back in order sooner than the estimates predict.</p>

<p>Oh, don’t get me wrong… “stuck” is a good thing. If we were home now, we would not have power and our town was one of the worst hit. Many of my friend’s homes are flooded and we won’t know our own situation until we are back, but I am truly grateful to be out of the path of this storm.</p>

<p>Let’s all pray for those affected by this hurricane.</p>

<p>Keeping all of you in my prayers.</p>

<p>Prayers for everyone affected.</p>

<p>Hey has anybody heard from our errant friend? I think he’s a South Jersey boy & AC took a terrible hit.</p>

<p>^^^ yes, he is good…</p>

<p>DD’s roommate from freshman year (they are juniors now) lost her childhood home in Point Pleasant Beach NJ…her parents are in T-Town …they were there for Homecoming. It is a very tough time for them…prayers are more than welcome!</p>

<p>Thanks robot!</p>

<p>The devastation in my home state is heart breaking. I don’t think there’s an inch of the Jersey Shore that hasn’t been re-sculpted. In some places, the water isn’t receding. I can’t wrap my head around what I’m seeing in some pictures, yet my friends who are there say the pictures don’t do the destruction justice.</p>

<p>Hope all of our CC peeps are making it through with a minimum of damage.</p>

<p>What about johnr441? I know he/she hasn’t posted for a while, but I haven’t heard from them on Facebook. They are from Middlesex NJ, I believe, and I’m praying that they are doing okay.</p>

<p>There is a Facebook page called JerseyShoreHurricaneNews on which there is a lot of information and a few photos of Alabama power trucks on their way to help in Jersey.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the support. Just got a FB message from a CC friend that they are sending Alabama utility trucks up here to help us! I’m about 45 minutes from the beach and haven’t had school for three days due to power outages. So many friends have lost their homes or seen damage of some sort. It breaks my heart.</p>

<p>Yes, the people of Alabama are wonderful and do so much to help in storm relief. A group from Alabama came to our neighborhood last month after Irene to get the trees off our houses. I think even the die hard LSU fan across the street is going to be saying Roll Tide this weekend!</p>

<p>I live on Long Island on the south shore and their are hundreds of homes who are severly damaged due to storm surges. Many of these homes were as much as half a mile away from shore line or canals and still could not withstand the rush of the ocean at high tide. I was extremely fortunate but my heart aches for the long road ahead for many friends in that area.</p>

<p>Arrived home today. The situation is hard to describe unless you have experienced something like this (think of the Tornado in Tuscaloosa). Food stores are empty, fresh food is unavailable, many friends/neighbors have lost EVERYTHING. Some homes burned to the ground while the fire department was unable to help due to severe flooding. I have seen photos of a 52 ft yacht washed up on a front lawn. One of my friends parent’s home is in ruins and their pool table is floating in the basement. A friend describe the scene as a war zone with sirens wailing, helicopters blaring and The National Guard barricading roads.</p>

<p>JFK airport was a nightmare. There was only limited plane service, not enough workers, delayed baggage and a traffic fiasco. My limo driver had to park about a 1/2 mile away on a median and come find us. We schlepped the luggage to the limo, and was extremely grateful that he didn’t just abandon us. There is limited public transportation.</p>

<p>We was very, very lucky. Our power was on when I arrived home and except for stray shingles and tree branches, garbage and debris, our house was okay. I even have a few cans of beans and some rice in the pantry. We lost two fridges full of food but so what? We are home and we are safe. It is not so for thousands of others.</p>

<p>The last death toll I heard was at 80, with two children who were 2 and 4 years old, being washed away in the flood waters. How tragic and senseless this all is!</p>

<p>I sincerely hope that people around the nation rally to help, because literally, there are people tonight who are completely devastated and have lost all.</p>

<p>So glad you’re safe, robotbldmom. An unspeakable tragedy. The images on the news are difficult to digest.</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the concern…disturbing images on the news tonight of families dumpster diving to find food. NYC is divided with no power to the lower half -so families have no food, water or communication. I have not ventured out locally as I am trying to conserve gasoline. Most gas stations have three hour lines or are sold out. I saw huge cargo planes flying overhead but I have no idea where the supplies are going (not around here), though people need help.</p>

<p>DD#1 lives in Brooklyn and has power but says even with lights the stress level is terrible.My thoughts and prayers are with robotbldmom and the others on this forum who are directly affected by this tragedy.
I received an email this morning from my National GLO (I’m an Alpha Phi). They have grants and monies available for those affected by Sandy. I would assume that other GLO’s at the national level would as well. Although I am sure that with the devastation it is very hard to know where to begin and what step to take next this might at least provide some monetary help for those in need. If you know someone who has a Greek affiliation you might reach out to them with this information. I would also think that other National organizations that are not Greek might have similar programs or assistance. It doesn’t bring the lost back nor provide bodies to help the clean up but it is at least a small step towards assistance.</p>

<p>Ahpimommy: so glad y’all made it home and that your home sustained minimal damage!</p>

<p>Just read this article: I hope this pattern of turning away help does not continue! We all know these guys have experience with disasters!</p>

<p>[Because</a> Alabama utility crews not union, New Jersey turns away help in wake of Sandy | al.com](<a href=“Because Alabama utility crews not union, New Jersey turns away help in wake of Sandy - al.com”>Because Alabama utility crews not union, New Jersey turns away help in wake of Sandy - al.com)</p>

<p>^ sorry! My reply should have been directed to robotbldmom!</p>

<p>I am on long island and my area is standing but it is day 5 with no power. It is getting very cold in the house. We are wearing coats to bed. But we are better than most. The devastation is horrible on staten island. People have lost everything. Getting gas is getting very difficult and people are fighting. This is the worst storm of my lifetime in this area. We will welcome those Alabama crews. If they come my way I will offer them a warm soda.</p>